Stratified Torch Ignition Engine: Performance Analysis
Published October 25, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Global climate change and an increasing energy demand are driving the scientific community to further advance internal combustion engine technology. Invented by Sr. Henry Ricardo in 1918 the torch ignition system was able to significantly decrease engine’s fuel consumption and emission levels. Since the late 70s, soon after the Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion (CVCC) created by Honda, the torch ignition system R&D almost ceased due to the issues encountered by very complex and costly mechanic control systems that time. This work presents a stratified torch ignition prototype endowed with a sophisticated electronic control systems and components such as electro-injectors from direct injection systems placed on the pre-combustion chamber. The torch ignition prototype was tested and its performance are presented and compared with the baseline engine, which was used as a workhorse for the prototype engine construction. The torch ignition prototyped showed a significant performance improvement in the fields of BSFC, thermal and combustion efficiency.
- Fernando Antonio Rodrigues Filho - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
- Alysson Fernandes Teixeira - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
- Roberto Berlini Rodrigues da Costa - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- José Guilherme Coelho Baêta - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Ramón Molina Valle - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
CitationFilho, F., Teixeira, A., da Costa, R., Baêta, J. et al., "Stratified Torch Ignition Engine: Performance Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0379, 2016.
- Balat M, Balat H. Recent trends in global production and utilization of bioethanol fuel. Appl Energy 2009;86:2273-82.
- Hansen G. Driving technology in the motor vehicle industry. In: Proceedings of the IPCC expert meeting on industrial technology development, transfer and diffusion, Tokyo, September 21-23; 2004.
- Mustafa B, Havva B. Recent trends in global production and utilization of bioethanol fuel. Trabzon, Turkey, Pa: Science and Energy Unlimited Company; 2009.
- Seinfeld JH, Pandis SN. Atmospheric chemistry and physics: from air pollution to climate change.
- Brook RD, Franklin B, Cascio W, Hong Y, Howard G, Lipsett M, et al. Air pollution and cardiovascular disease. A statement for healthcare professionals from the expert panel on population and prevention science of the American Heart Association. Circulation 2004;109:2655-71.
- Honour SL, Bell JNB, Ashenden TW, Cape JN, Power SA. Responses of herbaceous plants to urban air pollution: effects on growth, phenology and leaf surface characteristics. Environ Pollut 2009;157:1279-86.
- Allen RW, Davies H, Cohen MA, Mallach G, Kaufman JD, Adar SD. The spatial relationship between traffic-generated air pollution and noise in 2 US cities. Environ Res 2009;109:334-42.
- Yousefi A, Gharehghani A, Birouk M. Comparison study on combustion characteristics and emissions of a homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engine with and without pre-combustion chamber. Energy Convers Manage 2015; 100 232-241.
- Bedoya Ivan D, Saxena Samveg, Cadavid Francisco J, Dibble Robert W, Wissink Martin. Experimental study of biogas combustion in an HCCI engine for power generation with high indicated efficiency and ultra-low NOx emissions. Energy Convers Manage 2012; 53:154-62.
- Aceves SM, Flowers DL, Westbrook CK, Smith JR, Pitz W, Dibble R. A multi-zone model for prediction of HCCI combustion and emissions. SAE Paper 2000. 2000-01-0327.
- Melo TCC, Machado GB, Belchior CRP, Colaço MJ, Oliveira EJ, Barros JEM, et al. Hydrous ethanol-gasoline blends - combustion and emission investigations on a Flex-Fuel engine. Fuel 2012;97:796-804.
- McAuley JW. Global sustainability and key needs in future automotive design. Environ Sci Technol 2003;37:5414-6.
- Rodrigues Filho FA. Projeto, construção e caracterização de desempenho de um motor de combustão interna provido de um sistema de ignição por lança chamas com carga estratificada. PhD thesis, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais; 2014.
- Rodrigues Filho F A, MOREIRA T A A, Valle R M, Baêta J G C, Pontopidan M, Teixeira A F. E25 Stratified Torch Ignition Engine Performance, CO2 Emission and Combustion Analysis. Energy Convers Manage 2016; 115: 299-307.
- TOULSON, E., Schock, H., and Attard, W., “A Review of Pre-Chamber Initiated Jet Ignition combustion Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2263, 2010.
- Ricardo H. R., Recent Research Work on the Internal-Combustion Engine, SAE Technical Paper, 1922.
- Oppenheim A.K., Teichman K., Hom K., Stewart H.E., Jet Ignition of an Ultra-Lean Mixture, SAE Paper 780637, vol. 87, 1978.
- Oppenheim A.K., Stewart H.E., Hom K., Pulsed Jet Combustion Generator for Premixed Charge Engines, US Patent 4926,818, 1990.
- GUSSAK, L., Turkish M. C., and Siegla D. C., High chemical activity of incomplete combustion products and a method of Pre-Chamber torch ignition for avalanche activation of combustion in internal combustion engines, SAE Technical Paper, 1975.
- GUSSAK, L., Karpov, V., and Tikhonov, Y., "The Application of Lag-Process in Pre chamber Engines," SAE Technical Paper 790692, 1979.
- GUSSAK, L., "The Role of Chemical Activity and Turbulence Intensity in Pre-Chamber Torch Organization of Combustion of a Stationary Flow of a Fuel-Air Mixture," SAE Technical Paper 830592, 1983.
- Turkish M. C., 3-Valve Stratified Charge Engines: Evolvement, Analysis and Progression, 0148-7191, SAE Technical Paper, 1974.
- DATE, T. Yagi, S., Ishizuya, A., Fujii, I.; Research and development of the Honda CVCC engine. Paper SAE 740605, 18p., 1974.
- Wyczalek, F., Harned, J., Maksymiuk, S., and Blevins, J., "EFI Pre-Chamber Torch Ignition of Lean Mixtures," SAE Technical Paper 750351, 1975, doi:10.4271/750351.
- ROBINET, C. et al. A New Firing Concept for Internal Combustion Engines: “l’APIR”. Paper SAE 1999-01-0621, 1999.
- MOREIRA T A A. Análise e Caracterização de Um Sistema de Ignição por Lança Chamas Operando com Carga Homogênea. PhD thesis, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, 2014.
- SÁ, D. C. C.; Análise de um sistema de ignição por lança-chamas adaptado a um motor do ciclo Otto. Belo Horizonte. Dissertação de Mestrado. Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, 2001.
- French C.C.J., Alternative Engines - Interest or a Real Alternative (in Polish), No. 10, 1990, pp. 5-10.
- Noguchi M., Sanda S., Nakamura N., Development of Toyota lean burn engine, SAE Paper 760757, 1976.
- Konishi, M., Nakamura, N., Oono, E., Baika, T. et al., "Effects of a Prechamber on NOx Formation Process in the SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 790389, 1979, doi:10.4271/790389.
- HIRES, S., Ekchian, A., Heywood, J., Tabaczynski, R. et al., "Performance and NOx Emissions Modeling of a Jet Ignition Pre chamber Stratified Charge Engine," SAE Technical Paper 760161, 1976.
- Janicki P., Production and development of gas engines in the H. Cegielski - FSA (in Polish), V International Scientific Conference Gas Engines 2000, pp. 179-193.
- Stenhede T., Combined Heat and Power Solutions of Wartsila, VI International Conference Gas Engines, 2003, pp. 645-656.
- Jeffery M.P., Design and development of the Waukesha AT25GL series gas engine, Energy Sources Technology Conference and Exhibition New Orleans, 1988.
- Mooser D., CAT Gas Engines, KEC Kiel Engine Center, Caterpillar medium speed gasmotor, Entwicklung & Betriebserfahrung, Erste Internationale Fachthemenkonferenz Gasmotoren, Motortech GmbH, Celle, 2003.
- Amsden A.A., O’Rourke P.J., Butler T.D., KIVA-II, A Computer Program For Chemically Reactive Flows with Spray, Los Alamos National Laboratory, LAUR-11560-MS, 1989.
- ATTARD, William P., et al. Spark Ignition and Pre-Chamber Turbulent Jet Ignition Combustion Visualization. No. 2012-01-0823. SAE Technical Paper, 2012.
- Attard, W. and Parsons, P., "Flame Kernel Development for a Spark Initiated Pre-Chamber Combustion System Capable of High Load, High Efficiency and Near Zero NOx Emissions," SAE Int. J. Engines 3(2):408-427, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2260.
- ATTARD, W., Bassett, M., Parsons, P., and Blaxill, H., “A New Combustion System Achieving High Drive Cycle Fuel Economy Improvements in a Modern Vehicle Powertrain,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0664, 2011.
- Attard, W., Fraser, N., Parsons, P., and Toulson, E., "A Turbulent Jet Ignition Pre-Chamber Combustion System for Large Fuel Economy Improvements in a Modern Vehicle Powertrain," SAE Int. J. Engines 3(2):20-37, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1457.
- Toulson E., Applying alternative fuels in place of hydrogen to the jet ignition process, Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Engineering, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, The University of Melbourne., 2008.
- TOULSON, E., Watson, H., and Attard, W., "Modeling Alternative Pre-Chamber Fuels in Jet Assisted Ignition of Gasoline and LPG," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0721, 2009.
- ADAMS, T., "Theory and Evaluation of Auxiliary Combustion (Torch) Chambers," SAE Technical Paper 780631, 1978.
- ADAMS, T., "Torch Ignition for Combustion Control of Lean Mixtures," SAE Technical Paper 790440, 1979.
- WOLFF, D.; Tamura, M.; Tai, H.; Sakurai, T. Looking into the prechamber of a lean-burn gas engine. JSME International Journal, Vol. 40, 1997.
- Ayala Ferrán A., Gerty Michael D. and Heywood John B.. “Effects of Combustion Phasing, Relative Air-fuel Ratio, Compression Ratio, and Load on SI Engine Efficiency”. SAE World Congress Detroit, Michigan. 2006.
- AVL. “AVL IndiCom - Advanced Combustion Analysis Software, version 2.5“, Graz, Austria, AVL, 2013.
- HEYWOOD, John B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals. 1 ed. New York McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1995. 930 p
- TEIXEIRA, A. F.; RODRIGUES FILHO, F. A. ; MOREIRA, T. A. A. ; BARROS, J. E. M. ; BAETA, J. G. C. Hybrid Combustion Model For Engine Analysis In Real Time. São Paulo. Congresso SAE Brasil, 2015. V. 24.