Supply Chain Risk Management Applied to Brazilian Automotive Industry
Published October 25, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Due to financial global crisis started in 2008 and intensified in the past years in Brazil, the maintenance of a good company’s financial situation is a big challenge and it is more relevant in actual moment. Because of expected turbulent scenario for the next years, it is necessary to adopt strategies to mitigate risks that involve Supply Chain impacting industrial production. In this way, it is crucial adopt strategies and actions that assist to evaluate the performance of suppliers and its associate potential financial risk, what can be considered a companies’ success differential factor during crisis period as well. In this scenario, MWM Motores Diesel adopts an internal process of monitoring the risk of suppliers based on internally developed tools and others available at market. This article aims to assist other companies of automotive sector to monitor their supplier base, identify imminent risk to Supply Chain and trace and run projects to reduce or eliminate these risks. The article shows the result of this methodology constantly applied to suppliers, and the way we maintain MWM’s production operating in spite of the several supply rupture cases.
CitationAraujo, L., Tessaro, J., and Sardim, R., "Supply Chain Risk Management Applied to Brazilian Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0171, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-36-0171.
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) - Third Edition, Paperback. 2013.
- Dittmann J. Paul, PhD, “Managing Risk in the Global Supply Chain” University of Tennessee paper. Originally published on summer 2014.
- Chopra, Sunil and Sodhi, ManMohan S. “Managing Risk To Avoid Supply-Chain Breakdown”. MIT Sloan paper. Originally published on fall 2004.
- Russill, Richard. “A Short Guide to Procurement Risk” - Gower, 2010
- Crise nas montadoras agrava insolvência de fornecedores. Valor Econômico, by Laguna Eduardo. 7/8/2015. URL: http://www.senadopopular.com.br/news_mostra.asp?id=1081 Accessed at: 18/May/2016.