This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ethanol and Castor Oil for Two-Stroke and Wankel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two-stroke engines are used in several purposes, such as lawn mowers, chainsaws, power generators and for motorcycles in some dirt tracks competitions. In addition, small Wankel engines are used in snowmobiles, motorized paragliders and range extenders. Both types of engines are known for the great power produced per displacement, ideal for the purposes aforementioned, but its bigger emissions due to lubricating oil mixed with fossil fuels, such as gasoline, do not pass legislation's standards, which limits their use. In order to reduce emissions, tests with ethanol and castor oil, eco-friendly fuel and lubricant, respectively, will be presented to adequate these organic compounds to the engine's operation.
- Bernardo Luiz Harry Diniz Lemos - Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais - PUC Minas
- Eduardo Abreu Salomão - Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais - PUC Minas
- Matheus Philipe Ribeiro Viana - Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais - PUC Minas
- Rogério Jorge Amorim - Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais - PUC Minas
CitationLemos, B., Salomão, E., Viana, M., and Amorim, R., "Ethanol and Castor Oil for Two-Stroke and Wankel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0153, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-36-0153.
- Wakayamaa, Norihira et. al. “Development of Hydrogen Rotary Engine Vehicle”. WHEC 16, 2006.
- Varnhagen Scott, Same Adam, Remillard Jesse, Park Jae Wan. A numerical investigation on the efficiency of range extending systems using Advanced Vehicle Simulator
- Ribau, João. “Analysis of four-stroke, Wankel, and microturbine based range extenders for electric vehicles”. Energy Conversion and Management 58 (2012) 120-133. doi:10.1016/2012.01.011
- Tschöke, Helmut. “Wankelmotor Der bessere Range Extender?”. Institut Für Mobile Systeme, 2012.
- Automotive Technology InMotion. “Return of the rotary engine to Le Mans, closer than you’d think”. Eindhoven University of Technology, 2014.
- Singh, A.K. “Castor oil-based lubricant reduces smoke emission in two-stroke engines”. Industrial Crops and Products 33 (2011) 287-295. doi: 10.1016/2010.12.014
- IEA. “Biofuel Production”. IEA Energy Technology Essentials, 2007.
- Castrol Brasil. “Ficha de Informações de Segurança de Produtos Químicos Stihl 8017 H”. Castrol, 2013