This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spray, Mixture and Combustion Characteristics of Small Injection Amount Fuel Spray Injected by Hole Nozzle for Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 08, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The injection amount per stage in a multiple injection strategy is smaller than a conventional single-stage injection. In this paper, the effect of the injection amount (0.27mg, 0.89mg, 2.97mg) under 100MPa injection pressure and the effect of injection pressure (100MPa, 150MPa, 170MPa) under different injection amounts (0.27mg, 2.97mg) on the spray and mixture formation characteristics were studied by analyzing the vapor/liquid phase concentration distributions obtained under various conditions via using the tracer LAS technique. The spray was injected into a high-pressure and high-temperature constant volume vessel by using a single-hole nozzle with a diameter 0.133mm. The higher the injection pressure with a smaller injection amount is, the shorter the spray tip penetration and leaner air-fuel mixture occur. The combustion processes had been examined by a high-speed video camera with the two-color pyrometry method. The distributions of KL factor and flame temperature had been investigated with 100MPa injection pressure under different injection amounts. The results show that a small injection amount gives a small flame area and a low soot concentration.
CitationNishida, K., Matsuo, T., Yang, K., Ogata, Y. et al., "Spray, Mixture and Combustion Characteristics of Small Injection Amount Fuel Spray Injected by Hole Nozzle for Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0064, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0064.
- Kuwahara, K., Ando, H., Furutani, M. and Ohta, Y., "Impact of Formaldehyde Addition on Auto-Ignition in Engines," COMODIA2004, CD-Rom Proceedings, 2004.
- Aoyagi, Y., Kunishima, E., Asaumi, Y., Aihara, Y. et al., "Diesel Combustion and Emission Study by Using of High Boost and High Injection Pressure in Single Cylinder Engine, " COMODIA2004, Cd-Rom Proceedings, 2004.
- Itamochi, M., Matsuo, T., Li, K., Nishida, K. et al., "Effect of Reduced Injection Amount on Mixture Formation and Combustion of Diesel Spray," The 26th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium, Dec 8-Dec 10, 2015, Kyoto, Japan.
- Adomeit, P., Weinowski, R., Ewald, J., Brunn, A. et al., "A New Approach for Optimization of Mixture Formation on Gasoline DI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0591, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0591.
- Hoffmann, T., Hottenbach, P., Koss, H., Pauls, C. et al., "Investigation of Mixture Formation in Diesel Sprays under Quiescent Conditions using Raman, Mie and LIF Diagnostics," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0945, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0945.
- Wagner, V., Ipp, W., Wensing, M., and Leipertz, A., "Fuel Distribution and Mixture Formation Inside a Direct Injection SI Engine Investigated by 2D Mie and LIEF Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3659, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-3659.
- Honda, T., Kawamoto, M., Katashiba, H., Sumida, M. et al., "A Study of Mixture Formation and Combustion for Spray Guided DISI," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0046, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0046.
- Yamakawa, M., Takaki, D., Li, T., Zhang, Y. et al., "Quantitative Measurement of Liquid and Vapor Phase Concentration Distributions in a D.I. Gasoline Spray by the Laser Absorption Scattering (LAS) Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1644, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1644.
- Li, T., Yamakawa, M., Takaki, D., Nishida, K. et al., "Characterization of Mixture Formation Processes in D.I. Gasoline Sprays by the Laser Absorption Scattering (LAS) Technique - Effect of Injection Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1811, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1811.
- Matsumoto, Y., Gao, J., Namba, M., and Nishida, K., "Mixture Formation and Combustion Processes of Multi-Hole Nozzle with Micro Orifices for D.I. Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4049, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4049.
- Itamochi, M., Matsuo, T., Li, K., Nishida, K. et al., "Laser Absorption Scattering Technique Using Tracer- Doped Fuel (Tracer LAS) for Quantitative Measurement of Mixture Concentration Distribution in Diesel Spray,"13th Triennial International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems-Asia (ICLASS-Asia 2015), Aug 23-Aug 27, 2015, Tainan, Taiwan.
- Svensson, K., Mackrory, A., Richards, M., and Tree, D., "Calibration of an RGB, CCD Camera and Interpretation of its Two-Color Images for KL and Temperature," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0648, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0648.
- Zhang, Y., Yoshizaki, T., and Nishida, K., "Imaging of Droplets and Vapor Distributions in a Diesel Fuel Spray via Laser Light Absorption-Scattering Technique," Applied Optics, Vol.39, no.33, pp.6221-6229.
- Zhang, Y., Nishida, K., and Yoshizaki, T., "Quantitative Measurement of Droplets and Vapor Concentration Distributions in Diesel Sprays by Processing UV and Visible Images," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1294, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1294.
- Li, K., Dong, P., Matsuo, T., Shi, B. et al., "Characteristics of Diesel Spray Flame under Flat Wall Impinging Condition --LAS, OH* Chemiluminescence and Two Color Pyrometry Results," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2636, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2636.
- Li, K., Ido, M., Ogata, Y., Nishida, K. et al., "Effect of Spray/ Wall Interaction on Diesel Combustion and Soot Formation in Two-Dimensional Piston Cavity," SAE Int. J. Engines 6(4):2061-2071, 2013.