This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of a Small Restricted Turbocharged Racecar Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 08, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarized the development methodology and technical experiences on Formula Student racecar engines acquired by Jilin University from 2011 to 2015. This series of engines are all based on 600cc 4-cylinder motorcycle gasoline engines and were modified to turbocharged engines which met the Formula Student technical regulations, in order to achieve higher power output, wider torque band as well as lower fuel consumption.
During the development process, multiple research projects have been conducted surrounding the turbocharging technology. These research projects have covered multiple areas including the matching of the flow rate characteristics of the engine and the turbocharger, the design of intake and exhaust systems, research on the wastegate as well as its actuator, the tuning and control of the boost pressure as well as the design of the lubrication system for the turbocharger, etc. The utilized research methods included 1D CFD engine performance analysis, 3D CFD fluid analysis as well as the engine dyno test.
The experiment and analysis results showed that, the developed engine, with the installation of a 20mm intake restrictor, was able to retain over 95% of the maximum power output of the stock engine while having a maximum torque output of 130% of the stock engine. In the meantime, the minimum BSFC at WOT was reduced by 15%. The turbocharger worked smoothly with the lubricant ideally sealed, all of which satisfied the comprehensive requirements of a Formula Student engine.
|Technical Paper||Transient Engine Model as a Tool for Predictive Control|
|Journal Article||Modeling and Analysis of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine with Variable Geometry Compressor System|
|Technical Paper||Ecotec 2.0 Liter Race Engine|
CitationWang, D., Qian, D., and Wang, B., "The Development of a Small Restricted Turbocharged Racecar Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0061, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0061.
- SAE International, 2013 Formula SAE Rules, http://students.sae.org/cds/formulaseries/rules/, 2013.
- Da W., Dingchao Q., “Turbocharging Matching Calculation and Performance Prediction of a Small Displacement racecar Engine,” Small Internal Combustion Engine and Motorcycle, 43(2): 1-6, 2014.
- Jimin N., Zhao L., Xiaomao Z., Ming C., “Turbocharging Engine Matching and Performance Prediction,” Automobile Technology, 2012(10):1-4, 2012.
- Guang-yong Z., Xiu-min Y., Fu-jian H., Ying-jun G., Tao S., “Research on Modeling Method of Turbocharger Waste Gate Response Mode,” Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering, 33(5): 57-62, 2012, doi:10.13949/j.cnki.nrjgc.2012.05.004.
- Banish G., “Engine Management Advanced Tuning.” S.A. Design, 2007.
- Miller J K., “Turbo: Real World High-performance Turbocharger Systems,” S.A. Design, 2008.
- Moscetti, J., GilroySmith, B., and Sick, V., "Design and Development of a Turbocharged E85 Engine for Formula SAE Racing," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1774, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1774.
- Yamamoto, S., Matsumoto, S., Ueda, T., Kodama, T. et al., "A Study on Intake and Exhaust System of Turbocharged Engine under the Regulations of Formula SAE," SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0113, 2007.
- Westin, F. and Ångström, H., "Optimization of Turbocharged Engines' Transient Response with Application on a Formula SAE / Student engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2113, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2113.
- Corky B., “Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems,” Bentley (Robert) Inc., 1997.
- Xiumin Y., Dingchao Q., Da W., Jingzhi W., Hu B., “Exhaust Maniflod Simulation Analysis and Experimental Study for a Racecar Turbocharged Gasoline Engine,” Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Advances in Construction Machinery and Vehicle Engineering, 2013.
- Attard, W., Watson, H., Konidaris, S., and Khan, M., "Comparing the Performance and Limitations of a Downsized Formula SAE Engine in Normally Aspirated, Supercharged and Turbocharged Modes," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0072, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-32-0072.
- Attard, W., Watson, H., and Konidaris, S., "Highly Turbocharging a Flow Restricted Two Cylinder Small Engine - Turbocharger Development," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1562, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1562.
- Manfred M., Henning W., “Dynamik der Kraftfahrzeuge,” Springer, 2009.
- Carroll S., “Tune to Win,” Carroll Smith Consulting, 1978.