This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Performance Aluminum Casting Alloys for Engine Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 08, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the early 1980's, some promising research and development efforts focused on powder metallurgy revealed that aluminum alloys containing 4 wt% cerium exhibit high temperature mechanical properties exceeding those of the best commercial aluminum casting alloys currently in production. Cerium oxide is an abundant rare earth oxide that is often discarded during the refining of more valuable rare earths such as Nd and Dy. Therefore, the economics are compelling for cerium as an alloy additive. In this paper, we report select results obtained during an investigation of the castability of aluminum-cerium alloys and determine compositional modifications that may be required to ensure the compatibility of the alloy with near net shape casting methods such as advanced sand casting, die casting, permanent mold casting and squeeze casting. Al-Ce alloys were cast in binary composition of 6-16 wt% Ce. Commercially pure aluminum ingots were melted and held at approximately 785°C. Ternary and quaternary alloys with Si and Mg additions were also investigated. Test bars were cast to establish mechanical properties and step plates and hot tear molds were used to determine sensitivity to solidification conditions and hot tearing sensitivity respectively. Finally, air cooled engine cylinder heads were cast in sand molds to get a sense of castability in complicated shape castings.
CitationWeiss, D., "High Performance Aluminum Casting Alloys for Engine Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0019, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0019.
- Griffith , W.M. , Sanders , R.E , Hildeman , G.J Elevated Temperature Aluminum Alloys for Aerospace Applications High-Strength Powder Metallurgy Aluminum Alloys, Proceedings of a symposium sponsored by the Powder Metallurgy Committee of the Metallurgical Society of AIME February 17-18, 1982
- Shikun , X. , Rongxi , Y. , Zhi , G. , Xiang X. , Chagen H. , Xiuyan G. Effects of Rare Earth Ce on Casting Properties of Al-4.5Cu Alloy Advanced Materials Research 136 2010 1 4
- Belov , Nikolay A. , Naumova Evgeniya A. , and Eskin Dmitry G. Casting alloys of the Al-Ce-Ni system: microstructural approach to alloy design Materials Science and Engineering: A 271.1 1999 134 142
- Sims , Z. , Rios , O. , McCall , S. , Van Buuren , T. , Ott , R. Characterization of Near Net-Shape Castable Rare Earth Modified Aluminum Alloys for High Temperature Application The Material Society, Light Metals 2016
- Chakrabarti D. and Laughlin D. E. Prog. Mater. Sci. 49 389 2004
- Bergsma S. C. , Kassner M. E. , Li X. , and Wall M. A. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 254 112 1998