This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Calcium-Based Additives with Different Properties on Abnormal Combustion in an SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 08, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Technologies for further improving vehicle fuel economy have attracted widespread attention in recent years. However, one problem with some approaches is the occurrence of abnormal combustion such as low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) that occurs under low-speed, high-load operating conditions. One proposed cause of LSPI is that oil droplets diluted by the fuel enter the combustion chamber and become a source of ignition. Another proposed cause is that deposits peel off and become a source of ignition. A four-stroke air-cooled single-cylinder engine was used in this study to investigate the influence of Ca-based additives having different properties on abnormal combustion by means of in-cylinder visualization and absorption spectroscopic measurements. The results obtained for neutral and basic Ca-based additives revealed that the former had an effect on advancing the time of autoignition.
CitationShimizu, K., Takahata, S., Miura, K., Shoji, H. et al., "Influence of Calcium-Based Additives with Different Properties on Abnormal Combustion in an SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0007, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0007.
- Morgan , R. , Scullion , P. , Nix , L. , Kan , C. et al. Injury Risk Investigation of the Small, Rear-seat Occupant in Side Impact SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5 1 61 75 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0092
- Takeuchi , K. et al. Investigations of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection-Spark Ignition Engines (Part 1): Preventing or Contributing to Low-Speed Pre-Ignition through Effects of Engine Oil Additives Proceedings of JSAE Spring Convention, No. 70-12 1 4 2012
- Miyasaka , T. , Miura , K. , Hayakawa , N. , Ishino , T. et al. A Study on the Effect of a Calcium-Based Engine Oil Additive on Abnormal SI Engine Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 8 1 206 213 2015 10.4271/2014-32-0092
- Hayakawa , N. , Miura , K. , Miyasaka , T. , Ishino , T. et al. A Study on the Effect of Zn- and Mo-Based Engine Oil Additives on Abnormal SI Engine Combustion using In-Cylinder Combustion Visualization SAE Int. J. Engines 8 1 214 220 2015 10.4271/2014-32-0096
- Miura , K. , Shimizu , K. , Hayakawa , N. , Miyasaka , T. et al. Influence of Ca-, Mg- and Na-Based Engine Oil Additives on Abnormal Combustion in a Spark-Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 9 1 452 457 2016
- Gaydon , A. G. The Spectroscopy of Flames 2nd London Chapman and Hall Ltd 371 1974