This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Different Injection Technologies for High Performance Two-Stroke Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 08, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High performance engines are used in many different powersports applications. In several of these applications 2-stroke engines play an important role. The direct injection technology is a key technology for 2-stroke engines to fulfill both the customers’ request for high power and the environmental requirements concerning emissions and efficiency. As the load spectrum differs from one application to the other, it was interesting to find out if different injection technologies can answer the needs for different applications more efficiently regarding performance but also economic targets. Therefore, the results of the BRP Rotax 600 cm3 E-TEC (direct injection system) engine are compared to the same base engine but adopted with the LPDI (low pressure direct injection) technology developed by IVT at Graz University of Technology. The systems were compared on the engine testbench over 17 rpm / load points representing different product usage profiles. The individual systems were optimized by variation of injection timing, lambda, ignition timing at each point. The focus was primarily on reducing HC emissions during the optimization. These optimized points were then used as the basis for in-cylinder 3D-CFD to better understand the differences of one system compared to another at varying rpm / load points. Finally, the two systems were installed into a motorcycle for further comparisons to establish whether the raw emissions advantages could be realized in a transient WMTC cycle with exhaust aftertreatment. In conclusion, a better understanding of the trade-off between performance levels and emission levels for a high output 2-stroke engine was achieved.
CitationWinkler, F., Oswald, R., Schoegl, O., and Foxhall, N., "Characterization of Different Injection Technologies for High Performance Two-Stroke Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0001, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0001.
- Foxhall N., Hinterberger W., Winkler F., Oswald R., „Potential of Different Injection Systems for High Performance Two-Stroke Engines” 15th Conference „The Working Process of the Internal Combustion Engine“ September 24th/25th, 2015, Graz (Austria)
- VENTURI, S., LAVY, J., DURET, P., SELVA, M. et al., "From Development to Industrialization of an IAPAC® Marine Outboard D.I. 2-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1780, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1780.
- Duret, P., Lavy, J., Venturi, S., and Allen, C., "SCIP Simplified Direct Injection for Low Emissions Small Two-Stroke Engines," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3289, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-3289.
- Nuti, M., Pardini, R., and Caponi, D., "FAST Injection System: PIAGGIO Solution for ULEV 2T SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 970362, 1997, doi:10.4271/970362.
- Arnone, L., Janeck, M., Marcacci, M., Kirchberger, R. et al., "DEVELOPMENT OF A DIRECT INJECTION TWO-STROKE ENGINE FOR SCOOTERS," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1782, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1782.
- Stan, C. and Personnaz, J., "Car Hybrid Propulsion Strategy Using an Ultra-Light GDI Two Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2940, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-2940.
- Stan, C., Lefebvre, J., and Lebrun, M., "Development, Modeling and Engine Adaptation of a Gasoline Direct Injection System for Scooter Engines," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3313, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-3313.
- Pontoppidan, M., Arnone, L., Marcacci, M., and Demaio, A., "Comparative Study of the Capability of Mixture- and Liquid Based GDI Configurations to optimize a Lean Stratified SI-Combustion in a Two-Stroke, small Displacement Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1783, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1783.
- Sogawa, M. and Kato, M., "DEVELOPMENT OF THE HIGH PRESSURE DIRECT INJECTION (HPDI) SYSTEM FOR TWO-STROKE OUTBOARD MOTOR," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1786, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1786.
- Musu, E., Frigo, S., De Angelis, F., Gentili, R. et al., "Evolution of a Small Two-Stroke Engine with Direct Liquid Injection and Stratified Charge," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0066, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-32-0066.
- Gambino, M. and Iannaccone, S., "Two stroke direct injection spark ignition engine for two wheelers," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1842, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1842.
- Schmidt, S., Winkler, F., Schoegl, O., and Pontoppidan, M., "Development of a Combustion Process for a High Performance 2-Stroke Engine with High Pressure Direct Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2942, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2942.
- Pontoppidan, M., Gaviani, G., Bella, G., and De Maio, A., "Optimization by CFD Simulation of Spray Formation Parameters to Adapt Direct Injection High-Pressure Fuel Injectors to High-Speed SI-Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0539, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0539.
- Winkler, F., Oswald, R., Schögl, O., Kirchberger, R. et al., "Application of Low Pressure Direct Injection and Semi-Direct Injection to a Small Capacity Two-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0059, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-32-0059.
- Tseng, M., Lin, R., and Liu, F., "Assessment on the Impacts of the 3% Ethanol Gasoline Fuel Blend on Passenger Cars and Motorcycles in Taiwan," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0019, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-32-0019.
- Ferrara, G., Balduzzi, F., and Vichi, G., "An Innovative Solution for Two-Stroke Engines to Reduce the Short-Circuit Effects," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0180, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0180.
- Balduzzi, F., Vichi, G., Romani, L., and Ferrara, G., “CFD Analysis of the Effect of the Injection Pressure on a Small 2S LPDI Engine”; SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0760, 2016, In Press.
- Regulation (EU) No 168/2013 of the European Parliament and of the council of 15 January 2013 on the approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles.