This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Agricultural Tractor Hydraulic Lift Arm Assembly Design for Durability and Correlation with Physical Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A hydraulic power train assembly of an agricultural tractor is meant to lift the heavy implements during field operations and transportation. As it is a crucial member of the tractor for its usage, so the power train assembly needs a properly designed lift arm, rocker arm assembly with better strength and stiffness. There are a standard like IS12224, IS4468 which regulates the test method for hydraulic power and lift capacity of tractor and the layout of hydraulic three point linkage. Computer aided engineering techniques followed by laboratory testing have been deployed in the earlier stages of the product design & development itself to deliver the first time right products to the customer.
In this paper, a virtual simulation process has been established to design an agricultural tractor hydraulic lift arm to meet the above requirements. A Design Verification Plan (DVP) has been developed consisting of 3 load cases. Loads and boundary conditions have been arrived based on the RWUP data from the field. Design acceptance criteria have been formulated for clearing the hydraulic power train assembly test as per IS12224, IS4468 and durability for the tractor life. Virtual validation has been done by performing (i) A multi body dynamics analysis to study the dynamic behavior of interconnected rigid or flexible bodies; MBD approach is used to predict the loads on Tractor Hydraulic Lift arm and (ii) Static structural analysis in ABAQUS for the durability. In hydraulic power train test, equivalent plastic strain approach has been used for predicting the failure and for durability analysis, fatigue based approach has been used for the life estimation. Physical test has been done in the NABL certified in-house lab for the hydraulic power train assembly and has been correlated with the CAE results. In this work, 94.6% of correlation between Virtual and physical test has been achieved.
CitationVerma, V., Saravanan, V., Redkar, D., Mahajan, A. et al., "Agricultural Tractor Hydraulic Lift Arm Assembly Design for Durability and Correlation with Physical Test," SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0237, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0237.
- Abaqus Analysis User Manual Dassault Systém Simulia Corp.
- Adams User Manual 2014 MSC Software Corp.
- Cook R.D. , Malkus D.S. , Plesha M.E. , Witt R. J. 2002 Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis 4 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York
- Esmaeel Seyedabadi 2015 Finite Element Analysis of Lift Arm of a MF-285 Tractor Three-Point Hitch Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention
- FEMFAT Software User Manual Advanced Engineering Services by Magna power train
- IS4468 1993 1990
- Wadhawan J , Singh sehijpal , Rajan Pradeep , Singh Lakshman 2014 Lift Arm of Hydraulic Lift Assembly of Farm Tractor: Failure Analysis Technologies for Sustainable Rural Development (TSRD) 4 12
- Ryken Michael J. , Vance Judy M. 2000 Applying virtual reality techniques to the interactive stress analysis of a tractor lift arm Iowa Center for Emerging Manufacturing Technology. Iowa State University 35 2 141 155
- Akhtar Sadaf and Abbas Mohammad 2013 Applying Finite Element Method for stress Analysis and Optimization of Lift arm of Tractor International Journal on Emerging Technologies 4 1 108 111
- Strain Gauge Measurement - A Tutorial 1998 National Instruments Corporation, Application Note 078, 341023C-01
- The Three-Wire Quarter-Bridge Circuit 2000 A Measurements Group Hypertext Strain Smart Publication Measurements Group Tech Tip TT-612