This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Engine Efficiency and Diesel Aftertreatment System Architecture Using an Integrated System Simulation Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As emission regulations are becoming increasingly stringent worldwide, multiple exhaust aftertreatment devices are considered in order to minimize diesel engine tailpipe emissions. For the typical diesel applications in developing markets like India, the fuel consumption is a very decisive selling argument for customers. The total cost of ownership needs to be as low as possible. To meet these competing requirements, the aftertreatment and engines must be optimized at the same time as the performance of the one system affects the other.
In state-of-the-art calibration processes, the aftertreatment systems are considered separately from the calibration of the thermodynamics. This conventional approach makes it more challenging to achieve a simultaneous optimization of the fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions under transient operating conditions. In addition, the final operation is significantly affected by the gear shifting profile, defined by diverse rules in the case of manual transmission vehicles; while defined by a calibrated shifting strategy in the case of automatic ones.
To meet this goal, a longitudinal simulation approach is developed by FEV GmbH, which enables a simultaneous optimization of the multiple subsystems considering engine thermodynamic, controls, transmission system, gear shifting strategy and exhaust aftertreatment.
With this approach, the optimization parameters can be chosen freely e.g. air and fuel path controls for different engine modes, gear shifting strategy, vehicle inertia class, aftertreatment system design such as size, the PGM loading and the catalyst formulation.
The results indicate that BS V emission norms could be met with the application of a DPF, however for BS VI the use of deNOx aftertreatment systems will probably be mandatory for standard diesel vehicles. Lean NOx Trap (LNT) systems would enable to meet the limits, while SCR coated DPF (SDPF) approach would allow to increase the engineering margin while still improving the fuel economy. The total fuel consumption reduction will depend on the introduction of further new technologies such as split cooling, or even Low Pressure EGR (LPEGR).
|Technical Paper||Modeling and Validation of an Over-the-Road Truck|
|Technical Paper||Model-Based Control of Diesel Engines for Fuel Efficiency Optimization|
|Journal Article||Launch Devices for Turbo-Charged Engines|
CitationBhardwaj, O., Blanco-Rodriguez, D., Krishnamurthy, K., and Holderbaum, B., "Optimization of Engine Efficiency and Diesel Aftertreatment System Architecture Using an Integrated System Simulation Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0227, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0227.
- Körfer , T. Potential of Advanced, Combined Aftertreatment Systems for Light-Duty Diesel Engines to Meet Upcoming EU and US Emission Regulation SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0163 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0163
- Honardar , S. , Busch , H. , Schnorbus , T. , Severin , C. et al. Exhaust Temperature Management for Diesel Engines Assessment of Engine Concepts and Calibration Strategies with Regard to Fuel Penalty SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0176 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0176
- Severin C , Busch H , Kolbeck A , Körfer T Advanced thermal management for modern Diesel engines - Optimized Synergy between engine hardware and software intelligence ASME Conference 2012
- Wiartalla , A. , Ruhkamp , L. , Rosefort , Y. , Maassen , F. et al. Future Emission Concepts versus Fuel Quality Aspects - Challenges and Technical Concepts SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2097 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2097
- Wiartalla A , Ruhkamp L , Koerfer T , Tomazic D , Tatur M , Koehler E Future Emissions Demands for Ship and Locomotive Engines - Challenges, Concepts and Synergies from HD Applications 26th CIMAC World Congress on Combustion Engine Technology Bergen June 14 17 2010 2010
- Continental Worldwide Emission Standards and Related Regulations 2015
- GOVERNMENT OF INDIA AUTO FUEL VISION AND POLICY 2025 2014
- N.N. www.dieselnet.com December 2015
- Bhardwaj O. P , Pischinger S , Lüers B , Kolbeck A Impact of Biofuels on DPF Regeneration Behavior Motortechnische Zeitschrift (MTZ) 74 2013
- Bhardwaj O P Impact of Biomass Derived Fuels on the Physico Chemical Characteristics of Particulate Matter Emitted from a High Performance Diesel Combustion System PhD RWTH Aachen Aachen, Germany 2015
- Bhardwaj , O. , Kremer , F. , Pischinger , S. , Lüers , B. et al. Impact of Biomass-Derived Fuels on Soot Oxidation and DPF Regeneration Behavior SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 2 505 520 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1551
- Bhardwaj , O. , Lüers , B. , Holderbaum , B. , Koerfer , T. et al. Utilization of HVO Fuel Properties in a High Efficiency Combustion System: Part 2: Relationship of Soot Characteristics with its Oxidation Behavior in DPF SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 979 994 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2846
- Bhardwaj O. P , Kremer F , Pischinger S , Lüers B , Kolbeck A , Körfer T , Berg A. v , Georg R Tailor Made Biofuels: Effect of fuel properties on the soot microstructure and consequences on the particle filter regeneration ICEF2013-19165, ASME 2013 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference Michigan, USA 2013
- Davide Mercuri , Chiara Pozzi , Giorgio Natì , Stefano Cassani Multi-After Injection Strategy to Optimize Exhaust Gases Temperature and Combustion Stability in Diesel Engine 24th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology Aachen, Germany October 2015 2015
- Caprotti , R. , Field , I. , Michelin , J. , Schuerholz , S. et al. Development of a Novel DPF Additive SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3165 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3165
- Lacarriere , A. , Seguelong , T. , Harle , V. , and Fabre , C. A Low Ash and Highly Stable Formulated Fuel Borne Catalyst with Injection System Deposit Prevention Properties SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0896 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0896
- Rocher , L. , Seguelong , T. , Harle , V. , Lallemand , M. et al. New Generation Fuel Borne Catalyst for Reliable DPF Operation in Globally Diverse Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0297 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0297
- Bhardwaj O P , Holderbaum B , Kolbeck A , Körfer T , Lüers B Innovative, combined systems with SCR for upcoming stringent emission standards in US and EU 13th Stuttgart International Symposium Stuttgart
- Presentation from India World Light Duty Test Procedure Validation-Summary & Way Forward 15th DHC Meeting Brussels, Belgium
- Mock P , Kühlwein J , Tietge U , Franco V , Bandivadekar A , German J The WLTP: How a new test procedure for cars will affect fuel consumption values in the EU Tech. rep., ICCT 2014
- Pischinger S Internal Combustion Engine - Volume II, 4. Edition Aachen, Germany 2009
- Holderbaum , B. Dosierstrategie für ein SCR-System zur NO x reduktion im Diesel-PKW (Dosing Strategy of a SCR System for NOx Reduction in Passenger Car Diesel Engines) Ph.D. Thesis RWTH Aachen University Germany 2009
- Colombo , M. , Koltsakis , G. , and Koutoufaris , I. A Modeling Study of Soot and De-NOx Reaction Phenomena in SCRF Systems SAE Technical Paper 2011-37-0031 2011 10.4271/2011-37-0031
- Harth K , Stiebels S et. al Smart Catalyst Technologies for Future Automotive Emission Control 33th International Vienna Motor Symposium Vienna 2012 2012
- Bhardwaj , O.P. , Lüers , B. , Holderbaum , B. , Hirose , B. et al. Analysis of the Impact of Improved NO x Sensor Accuracy on the SCR System Performance for Modern Diesel Engines 13th FAD Conference, Challenges: Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment for Diesel Engines Dresden, Germany 4 5 November 2015
- Bhardwaj , O. P. , Holderbaum , B. , Rohs , H. , Körfer , Th. , Grussman , E. , Fricke , F. Potential of Insulated Exhaust Systems for Modern Diesel Applications for Simultaneous Compliance of Stringent Emission Legislation and Fuel Economy Demands in EU & US FEV-Diesel Powertrains 3.0, International Conference Montabaur, Germany October 28 2014
- Bhardwaj , O. P. , Holderbaum , B. , Rohs , H. , Körfer , Th. , Grussman , E. , Fricke , F. Analysis of Fuel Economy and Emission Reduction Potential of Insulated Exhaust Systems for Modern Diesel Engines 12th FAD Conference, Challenges: Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment for Diesel Engines Dresden, Germany November 5 2014
- Bhardwaj , O. P. , Lüers , B. , Holderbaum , B. , Hirose , T. , Herrmann , O.E. , Katafuchi , T. Impact of the NO x Sensor Performance on the Control and Feedback of SCR Urea Dosing, for Future PC and HD Applications 13th International CTI Conference: Exhaust Systems Stuttgart, Germany January 20 2015
- Hüthwohl G , Müschen A , Dolenec S Adblue Dosing System for Improved Catalyst Efficiency JSAE, Yokohama 2013
- Feiling A , Schmidt D , Beidl C , Fischer M NOx Abgasnachbehandlung in Kontext der Real Driving Emissions VDI Fachkonferenz AGN Systeme Frankfurt a.M. Germany 2014
- Hüthwohl G Albonair Urea Dosing Solutions 'Best Available Technology Pathways to meet Stringent off Road Emission Norms' ECMA off Road Conference 2014
- Vonarb V SCR and SCR on Filter: View Point of an Industrial Engine Manufacturer - Liebherr Machines Bulle (CH) Aachen, Germany 2014 2015
- Hüthwohl G , Bösing M Adblue Dosiersysteme für die besondere Herausforderungen off-Road FAD Konferenz Dresden, Germany 2015
- Bhardwaj , O.P. , Pischinger , S. , Lüers , B. , Holderbaum , B. et al. Utilization of HVO Fuel Properties in a High Efficiency Combustion System: Part 1: Impact of Soot Structure on the DPF Regeneration Behavior International Journal of Automotive Engineering, Japan (JSAE Paper no. - 283-20145128) 2014
- Bhardwaj , O.P. , Holderbaum , B. , Grussman , E. , Fricke , F. et al. Emissions- und Verbrauchsreduktion beim Dieselmotor durch gebaute Abgaskrümmer Turbinen-Modul (Emissions and Fuel Consumption Reduction of Diesel Engines by AGI Exhaust Manifold and Turbine Modules) Motortechnische Zeitschrift (MTZ) Technical Article 2015
- Blanco-Rodriguez , D. Modelling and observation of exhaust gas concentrations for diesel engine control, Springer Scientific, Publishing PhD Spain 2014