This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends on Combustion and Emissions of a Passenger Car Engine at Part Load Operations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Alcohols are preferred choice of alternative fuel for gasoline engines to tackle the problems associated with nation’s energy security and environmental pollution. Ethanol can be used as a sole fuel or gasoline blending component for use in spark ignition engines. BIS Specification 2796: 2013 permitted to blend 10% ethanol in gasoline and the concentration may be further increased in coming years in India. Research on combustion of ethanol blended gasoline on modern gasoline engine is highly desirable. This paper highlights the experimental investigation carried out on the latest generation multipoint fuel injection system passenger car engine fueled with ethanol-gasoline blends in a climatic controlled test cell to study the in-cylinder combustion, performance and emission characteristics. Part load tests at regular speed intervals were conducted using ethanol blends. Combustion duration decreased with increase in engine load and speed for the all test fuels. Longer burn duration was observed with ethanol blends compared to neat gasoline at various load and speed conditions. Negligible changes peak pressure and cumulative heat release were observed among the fuel blends. Lower specific energy consumption for ethanol blends compared to neat gasoline at lower load and/or speed conditions whereas this effect is negligible at higher load/speed conditions. In general, gaseous emission reduced with increase in ethanol percentage in the blends. E20 blends reduced the CO emissions upto 15%; HC emissions upto 20% and NOx emissions upto 45% at various load and speed conditions. Better reduction in HC emission was achieved at higher speed conditions for the all load conditions. Ethanol as blending component for gasoline improved the combustion and thereby enhanced the engine performance and reduced the exhaust emissions.
CitationRamadhas, A., Singh, P., Sakthivel, P., Mathai, R. et al., "Effect of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends on Combustion and Emissions of a Passenger Car Engine at Part Load Operations," SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0152, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0152.
- EPA 420-F-00-35 Clean Alternative Fuels: Ethanol EPA 2002
- Niven R.K. Ethanol in gasoline: environmental impacts and sustainability review article 9 535 555 2005
- Stansfield , P. , Bisordi , A. , OudeNijeweme , D. , Williams , J. et al. The Performance of a Modern Vehicle on a Variety of Alcohol-Gasoline Fuel Blends SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 2 813 822 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1272
- Schifter I. , Diaz L. , Rodriguez R. , Gomez J.P. , Gonzalez U. Combustion and emissions behavior for ethanol-gasoline blends in a single cylinder engine Fuel 90 3586 3592 2011
- Sudarmanta Bambang , Darsopuspito Sudjud , Sungkono “Djoko Influence of Bioethanol-gasoline blended fuel on performance and emissions characteristics from port injection Sinjai Engine 650 cc Applied Mechanics and Materials 493 273 280 Jan. 2014
- Manikandan K. , walle Menelik The Effect of Gasoline-Ethanol Blends and Compression Ratio on SI Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology 2 10 October 2013
- Zhuang Yuan , Hong Guang , Wang Jianguo Preliminary investigation to combustion in a SI engine with direct ethanol injection and port gasoline injection (EDI+GPI) 18th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference Launceston, Australia 3 7 December 2012
- Ozsezen A.N. , Canakci Mustafa Performance and combustion characteristics of alcohol-gasoline blends at wide-open throttle Energy 36 2747 2752 2011
- Yusaf T. , Buttsworth D. , Najafi G. Theoretical and experimental investigation of SI engine performance and exhaust emissions using ethanol-gasoline blended fuels 3rd International Conference Energy and Environment Dec 2009
- Sarkar Achinta , Chowdhuri Achin Kumar , Bhowal Arup Jyoti and Mandal Bijan Kumar The Performance and Emission Characteristics of SI Engine Running on Different Ethanol-Gasoline Blends International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research 3 6 June 2012
- De Simio Luigi , Gambino Michele , and Iannaccone Sabato Effect of Ethanol Content on Thermal Efficiency of a Spark-Ignition Light-Duty Engine ISRN Renewable Energy 2012
- Malalasekera W. , Ranasinghe C.P. Simulation of engine combustion with ethanol as a renewable fuel International Conference on Advanced Materials, Science and Engineering (ICAMSE-12) Colombo Sri Lanka 1 4 July 2012
- Pleanjai Effect of ethanol blended gasoline on the concentration of polyaomatic hydrocarbons and particulate amtter in exhaust gas of motor cycle Environmental and Rural Development 5 1 2014
- Vermorel O. Understanding cyclic variability in a spark ignited engine using multi-cycle LES http://www.cerfacs.fr/∼cfdbib/repository/TR_CFD_08_54.pdf 2008 8 June 2015
- Masum B.M. , Masjuki H.H. , Kalam M.A. , Rizwanul Fattah I.M. , Palash S.M. , Abedin M.J. Effect of ethanol-gasoline blends on NOx emission in SI engine Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 24 209 222 2013
- Nakata K. , Utsumi S. , Ota A. et al. The Effect of Ethanol Fuel on a Spark Ignition Engine 2006-01-3380