This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Analysis & Parametric Optimization of Gerotor Oil Pump for Improving Volumetric Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work is an effort to find the parallelism between the volumetric efficiency of a Gerotor, and its inherent design parameters: number of teeth, tooth profile, outer dimensions of diameter and thickness, and the input power (torque and speed). The preliminary relations are derived from the software simulation of a range of Gerotor models with varying aforementioned parameters. These results are augmented by a previously proposed method of theoretically estimating the displacement of a Gerotor. Then, these results are validated and revised by practical results from three different Gerotors with epitrochoidal and its conjugate profiles, which are used in automotive applications like engines and transmissions. These relations can be used for choosing parameters yielding the maximum efficiency in specific environments: the packaging space, the input available, and the output required. Finally, an attempt has been made to develop a theoretical formula of the efficiency of a Gerotor in light of the above parameters. According to these results, a prototype Gerotor is proposed and will be validated for its performance.
CitationKamal, A., Kaundabalaraman, K., Rathi, H., and Muley, A., "Design Analysis & Parametric Optimization of Gerotor Oil Pump for Improving Volumetric Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0113, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0113.
- Liu, H. , Lee, J. , Yoon, A. and Kim, S. (2015) Profile Design and Numerical Calculation of Instantaneous Flow Rate of a Gerotor Pump. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, 3, 92-97. doi:10.4236/jamp.2015.31013.
- Inaguma Y. Calculation of theoretical torque and displacement in an internal gear pump. Koyo Engineering Journal, 2006, 1001E: 70-76
- Lingeswaramurthy, P., Jayabhaskar, J., Elayaraja, R., and Suresh Kumar, J., "Development of Analytical Model for Design of Gerotor Oil Pump and Experimental Validation," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):441-449, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0402.
- Zhang, D., Perng, C., and Laverty, M., "Gerotor Oil Pump Performance and Flow/Pressure Ripple Study," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0359, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0359.
- Fabiani, M., Mancò, S., Nervegna, N., Rundo, M. et al., "Modelling and Simulation of Gerotor Gearing in Lubricating Oil Pumps," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0626, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0626.
- CundiffJohn S. , “Creation and Control of Fluid Flow”, Fluid Power Circuits and Controls, 2001