This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of WIAMan Technology Demonstrator Biofidelity Relative to Sub-Injurious PMHS Response in Simulated Under-body Blast Events
Published November 07, 2016 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Three laboratory simulated sub-injurious under-body blast (UBB) test conditions were conducted with whole-body Post Mortem Human Surrogates (PMHS) and the Warrior Assessment Injury Manikin (WIAMan) Technology Demonstrator (TD) to establish and assess UBB biofidelity of the WIAMan TD. Test conditions included a rigid floor and rigid seat with independently varied pulses. On the floor, peak velocities of 4 m/s and 6 m/s were applied with a 5 ms time to peak (TTP). The seat peak velocity was 4 m/s with varied TTP of 5 and 10 ms. Tests were conducted with and without personal protective equipment (PPE). PMHS response data was compiled into preliminary biofidelity response corridors (BRCs), which served as evaluation metrics for the WIAMan TD.
Each WIAMan TD response was evaluated against the PMHS preliminary BRC for the loading and unloading phase of the signal time history using Correlation Analysis (CORA) software to assign a numerical score between 0 and 1. A weighted average of all responses was calculated to determine body region and whole body biofidelity scores for each test condition. The WIAMan TD received UBB biofidelity scores of 0.62 in Condition A, 0.59 in Condition B, and 0.63 in Condition C, putting it in the fair category (0.44-0.65). Body region responses with scores below a rating of good (0.65-0.84) indicate potential focus areas for the next generation of the WIAMan design.
- Hollie A. Pietsch - US Army Tank Automotive Research, Development, and Engineeri
- Kelly E. Bosch - US Army Tank Automotive Research, Development, and Engineeri
- David R. Weyland - US Army Tank Automotive Research, Development, and Engineeri
- E. Meade Spratley - University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics
- Kyvory A. Henderson - University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics
- Robert S. Salzar - University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics
- Terrance A. Smith - Dynamic Research, Inc.
- Brandon M. Sagara - Dynamic Research, Inc.
- Constantine K. Demetropoulos - Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
- Christopher J. Dooley - Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
- Andrew C. Merkle - Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
CitationPietsch, H., Bosch, K., Weyland, D., Spratley, E. et al., "Evaluation of WIAMan Technology Demonstrator Biofidelity Relative to Sub-Injurious PMHS Response in Simulated Under-body Blast Events," SAE Technical Paper 2016-22-0009, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-22-0009.
- 10 USC 2366 2015 United States Code, 2012 Edition, Supplement 3, 10 Title 10 - ARMED FORCES. Major systems and munitions programs: survivability testing and lethality testing required before full-scale production
- Alvarez , J. 2011 Epidemiology of Blast Injuries in Current Operations A Survey of Blast Injury across the Full Landscape of Military Science RTO-MP-HFM-207 Halifax, Canada NATO Science and Technology Organization https://www.sto.nato.int/publications/STO Meeting Proceedings/Forms/Meeting Proceedings Document Set/docsethomepage.aspx?ID=36909&FolderCTID=0x0120D5200078F9E87043356C409A0D30823AFA16F602008CF184CAB7588E468F5E9FA364E05BA5&List=7e2cc123-6186-4c30-8082-1ba072228ca7&RootFolder=https://www.sto.nato.int/publications/STO Meeting Proceedings/RTO-MP-HFM-207
- Bailey , A.M. , Christopher J.J. , Brozoski , F. and Salzar , R.S. 2014 Post Mortem Human Surrogate Injury Response of the Pelvis and Lower Extremities to Simulated Underbody Blast Annals of Biomedical Engineering December, 1-11
- Bailey , A.M. , Christopher , J.J , Salzar , R.S. , and Brozoski , F. 2015 Comparison of Hybrid-III and Postmortem Human Surrogate Response to Simulated Underbody Blast Loading Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 137 5 51009
- Eppinger , R.H. , Marcus , JH. , and Morgan , RM. 1984 Development of dummy and injury index for NHTSA’s thoracic side impact protection research program SAE Technical Paper 840885
- Gayzik , F.S. , Marcus , I.P. , Danelson , K.A. , Rupp , J.D. , Bass , C.R. , Yoganandan , N. , and Zhang , J. 2015 A Point-Wise Normalization Method for Development of Biofidelity Response Corridors Journal of Biomechanics 48 15 4173 7
- Gayzik , S. et al. 2016 A Point-Wise Normalization Method for Development of Biofidelity Response Corridors (Presentation Only) NATO HFM 271 Meeting and Blast Injury Symposium 08 June 2016
- Gehre , C. , Gades , H. , Wernicke , P. 2009 Objective Rating of Signals Using Test and Simulation Responses In 21st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Stuttgart, Germany http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/ESV/esv21/09-0407.pdf
- Gordon , C.C. , Blackwell , C.L. , Bradtmiller , B. , Parham , J.L. , Barrientos , P. , Paquette , S.P. , Corner , B.P. et al. 2014 2012 Anthropometric Survey of US Army Personnel: Methods and Summary Statistics DTIC Document http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA611869
- Holdren , T.M. 2016 Title 10 Live-Fire Test and Evaluation (LFTE) Mission Presented at the WIAMan Industry Day Orlando, FL June 13 https://www.fbo.gov/notices/144703326476d3ec9c18778ab0c312df
- ISO/TR 9790 1999 Road Vehicles - Anthropomorphic Side Impact Dummy - Lateral Impact Response Requirements to Assess the Biofidelity of the Dummy International Standards Organization, National Standards Institute, NY NY
- Klinich , K.D. , Ebert , S.M. , Reed , M.P. 2012 Quantifying Cervical-Spine Curvature Using Bézier Splines ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 134 11 114503
- Martin , P.G. , Hall , G.W. , Crandall , J.R. , and Pilkey , W.D. 1998 Measuring the Acceleration of a Rigid Body Shock and Vibration 5 4 211 224
- McHugh , J.M. 2012 Army Policy for Use of Human Cadavers for Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E), Education or Training [MEMORANDUM] Secretary of the Army, Dept. of Defense http://mrmc.amedd.army.mil/assets/docs/orp/army-policy-for-use-of-human-cadavers_042012.pdf
- Nusholtz , G. , Aoun , Z. , Di Domenico , L. , Hsu , T. , Gracián , M.A. , and Prado , J.A. 2013 Statistical Considerations for Evaluating Biofidelity, Repeatability, and Reproducibility of ATDs SAE International Journal of Transportation Safety 1 200 218
- O’Donovan , M. , Hasselquist , L. , Albery , C. , Corner , S. , and Corner , BD. 2013 New Adult Male Post Mortem Human Subject Segmental Weight, Centers Of Gravity, And Principal Moments Of Inertia American Society of Biomechanics Omaha, NE http://www.asbweb.org/conferences/2013/abstracts/146.pdf
- Ramasamy , M.A. , Hill A.M. , Hepper A.E. , Bull A.M. , Clasper J.C. 2009 Blast Mines: Physics, Injury Mechanisms And Vehicle Protection J R Army Med Corps. 155 258 264
- Reed , M.P. and Ebert , S.M. 2014 The Seated Soldier Study: Posture and Body Shape in Vehicle Seats DTIC Document http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA623016
- Reed , M.P. 2013 Development of Anthropometric Specifications for the Warrior Injury Assessment Manikin (WIAMan) Technical Report UMTRI-2013-38 University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/112058/103198.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Rudd , R. , Kerrigan J. , Crandall J. , and Arregui C. 2006 Kinematic Analysis of Head/Neck Motion in Pedestrian-Vehicle Collisions Using 6-Degree-of-Freedom Instrumentation Cubes SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0681
- Rupp , J. , Humm , J. , Miller , C. , Alai , A. , Bigler , B. , Dooley , C. , Kang , Y.S. , Marcus , I. , Sherman , D. 2016 Warrior Injury Assessment Manikin (WIAMan) Project Anatomic Reference Coordinate Systems (Presentation Only) NATO HFM 271 Meeting and Blast Injury Symposium 08 June 2016
- SAE PT-44 1994 Hybrid III: the first humanlike crash test dummy Backaitis , SH. , and Mertz , HJ. Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Scherer , R.D. , Felczak , C. , Halstead , S. 2010 Vehicle and Crash-Dummy Response to an Underbelly Blast Event 54th Stapp Conference Proceedings (Presentation Only) November 3-5 Scottsdale, AZ
- Spratley , E.M. , Rawska , K. , Demetropoulos , C.K. , Merkel , A.M. , Salzar , R.S. 2016 Local vs. Global Motion In Whole-Body UBB Testing (Presentation Only) NATO HFM 271 Meeting and Blast Injury Symposium 08 June 2016
- Sutterfield , A. , Pecoraro , K. , Rouhana , S.W. , Xu , L. , Abramczyk , J. , Berliner , J. , Irwin , A. et al. 2005 Evaluation of the ES-2re Dummy in Biofidelity, Component, and Full Vehicle Crash Tests Stapp Car Crash Journal 49 481 508
- Thunert , C. 2010 CORA User’s Manual (version 3.6.1) Braunschweig,Germany GNS -Gesellschaft für Numerishe Simulation mbH http://www.pdb-org.com/de/information/18-cora-download.html
- Tice , J.R. 2016 What is WIAMan? (Presentation Only) WIAMan Industry Day Orlando, FL 13 June 2016 https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=144703326476d3ec9c18778ab0c312df
- TR-HFM-090 2007 Test Methodology for Protection of Vehicle Occupants against Anti-Vehicular Landmine Effects Research and Technology Organization - North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Neuilly-sur-Seine Cedex, France http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a473218.pdf
- Wu , G. , Van der Helm , F.C. , Veeger , H.E.J. , Makhsous , M. , Van Roy , P. , Anglin , C. , Nagels , J. , Karduna , A.R. , and McQuade , K. 2005 ISB Recommendation on Definitions of Joint Coordinate Systems of Various Joints for the Reporting of Human Joint motion-Part II: Shoulder, Elbow, Wrist and Hand Journal of Biomechanics 38 5 981 992
- Wu , G. , Siegler , S. , Allard , P. , Kirtley , C. , Leardini , A. , Rosenbaum , D. , Whittle , M. et al. 2002 ISB Recommendation on Definitions of Joint Coordinate System of Various Joints for the Reporting of Human Joint Motion-part I: Ankle, Hip, and Spine Journal of Biomechanics 35 4 543 48