This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Rib Shape on Stiffness
Published November 07, 2016 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
This study investigates the isolated effect of rib shape on the mechanical characteristics of ribs subjected to multiple forms of loading. It aims to measure the variation in stiffness due to shape that is seen throughout the population and, in particular, provide a tool for researchers to better understand the influence of shape on resulting stiffness.
A previously published six-parameter shape model of the central axis of human ribs was used. It has been shown to accurately model the overall rib path using intrinsic geometric properties such as size, aspect ratio, and skewness, through shapes based on logarithmic spirals with high curvature continuity. In this study the model was fitted to 19,500 ribs from 989 adult female and male CT scans having demographic distributions matching the US adult population. Mechanical loading was simulated through a simplified finite element model aimed at isolating rib shape from other factors influencing mechanical response. Four loading scenarios were used representing idealized free and constrained loading conditions in axial (body-anterior) and lateral directions. Characteristic rib stiffness and maximum stress location were tracked as simulation output measures.
Regression models of rib stiffness found that all shape model parameters added information when predicting stiffness under each loading condition, with their linear combination able to account for 95% of the population stiffness variation due to shape in mid-level ribs for free axial loading, and 92%-98% in other conditions. Full regression models including interactive terms explained up to 99% of population variability. Results allow researchers to better evaluate the differences in stiffness results that are obtained from physical testing by providing a framework with which to explain variation due to rib shape.
CitationHolcombe, S., Wang, S., and Grotberg, J., "The Effect of Rib Shape on Stiffness," SAE Technical Paper 2016-22-0002, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-22-0002.
- Agnew , A. M. , Moorhouse , K. , Kang , Y.-S. S. , Donnelly , B. R. , Pfefferle , K. , Manning , A. X. , Litsky , A. S. , Herriott , R. , Abdel-Rasoul , M. , & Bolte , J. H. 2013 The response of pediatric ribs to quasi-static loading: mechanical properties and microstructure Annals of Biomedical Engineering 41 12 2501 2514
- Agnew , A. M. , Schafman , M. , Moorhouse , K. , White , S. E. , & Kang , Y.-S. 2015 The effect of age on the structural properties of human ribs Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 41 302 314
- Baudrit , P. , Petitjean , A. , Potier , P. , Trosseille , X. , & Vallencien , G. 2014 Comparison of the thorax dynamic responses of small female and midsize male post mortem human subjects in side and forward oblique impact tests Stapp Car Crash Journal 58 103 121
- Bergeron , E. , Lavoie , A. , Clas , D. , Moore , L. , Ratte , S. , Tetreault , S. , Lemaire , J. , & Martin , M. 2003 Elderly trauma patients with rib fractures are at greater risk of death and pneumonia The Journal of Trauma 54 3 478 485
- Boskey , A. L. , & Coleman , R. 2010 Aging and bone Journal of Dental Research 89 12 1333 1348
- Bulger , E. M. , Arneson , M. A. , Mock , C. N. , & Jurkovich , G. J. 2000 Rib fractures in the elderly The Journal of Trauma 48 6
- Charpail , E. , Trosseille , X. , Petit , P. , Laporte , S. , Lavaste , F. , & Vallancien , G. 2005 Characterization of PMHS ribs: A new test methodology Stapp Car Crash Journal 49 183 198
- Cormier , J. M. , Stitzel , J. D. , Duma , S. M. , & Matsuoka , F. 2005 Regional variation in the structural response and geometrical properties of human ribs Annual proceedings / Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 49 153 170
- Fryar , C. D. , Gu , Q. , & Ogden , C. L. 2012 Anthropometric reference data for children and adults: United states, 2007-2010 Vital and health statistics Series 11, Data from the national health survey 252 1 48
- Granik , G. , & Stein , I. 1973 Human ribs: static testing as a promising medical application Journal of Biomechanics 6 3 237 240
- Holcomb , J. B. , McMullin , N. R. , Kozar , R. A. , Lygas , M. H. , & Moore , F. A. 2003 Morbidity from rib fractures increases after age 45 Journal of the American College of Surgeons 196 4 549 555
- Holcombe , S. A. , Wang , S. C. , & Grotberg , J. B. 2016 Modeling female and male rib shapes with logarithmic spirals Journal of Biomechanics 49 13 2995 3003
- Kemper , A. R. , McNally , C. , Pullins , C. A. , Freeman , L. J. , Duma , S. M. , & Rouhana , S. W. 2007 The biomechanics of human ribs: material and structural properties from dynamic tension and bending tests Stapp Car Crash Journal 51 235 273
- Kent , R. , & Patrie , J. 2005 Chest deflection tolerance to blunt anterior loading is sensitive to age but not load distribution Forensic Science International 149 2-3 121 128
- Kent , R. , Woods , W. , & Bostrom , O. 2008 Fatality risk and the presence of rib fractures Annual Proceedings, Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 52 73 82
- Kindig , M. , Lau , A. G. , & Kent , R. W. 2011 Biomechanical response of ribs under quasistatic frontal loading Traffic Injury Prevention 12 4 377 387
- Kindig , M. W. , & Kent , R. W. 2013 Characterization of the centroidal geometry of human ribs Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 135 11
- Li , Z. , Kindig , M. W. , Kerrigan , J. R. , Untaroiu , C. D. , Subit , D. , Crandall , J. R. , & Kent , R. W. 2010 Rib fractures under anterior-posterior dynamic loads: experimental and finite-element study Journal of biomechanics 43 2 228 234
- Livingston , D. H. , & Hauser , C. J. 2004 Trauma to the chest wall and lung Trauma 5
- Pintar , F. A. , Yoganandan , N. , Stemper , B. D. , Bostrom , O. , Rouhana , S. W. , Digges , K. H. , & Fildes , B. N. 2007 Comparison of PMHS, WorldSID, and THOR-NT responses in simulated far side impact Stapp Car Crash Journal 51 313 360
- Shaw , J. M. , Herriott , R. G. , McFadden , J. D. , Donnelly , B. R. , & Bolte , J. H. 2006 Oblique and lateral impact response of the PMHS thorax Stapp Car Crash Journal 50 147 167
- Shi , X. , Cao , L. , Reed , M. P. , Rupp , J. D. , Hoff , C. N. , & Hu , J. 2014 A statistical human rib cage geometry model accounting for variations by age, sex, stature and body mass index Journal of Biomechanics 47 10 2277 2285
- Song , E. , Trosseille , X. , & Baudrit , P. 2009 Evaluation of thoracic deflection as an injury criterion for side impact using a finite elements thorax model Stapp Car Crash Journal 53 155 191
- Stein , I. D. 1976 Rib structure and bending strength: an autopsy study Calcified tissue research 20 1 61 73
- Stitzel , J. D. , Cormier , J. M. , Barretta , J. T. , Kennedy , E. A. , Smith , E. P. , Rath , A. L. , Duma , S. M. , & Matsuoka , F. 2003 Defining regional variation in the material properties of human rib cortical bone and its effect on fracture prediction Stapp car crash journal 47 243 265
- Takahashi , H. , & Frost , H. M. 1966 Age and sex related changes in the amount of cortex of normal human ribs Acta Orthopaedica 37 2 122 130
- Wang , Y. , Cao , L. , Bai , Z. , Reed , M. P. , Rupp , J. D. , Hoff , C. N. , & Hu , J. 2016 A parametric ribcage geometry model accounting for variations among the adult population Journal of Biomechanics 49 13 2791 2798