This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Study between the Tractor Trailer Gaps Mounted with a Refrigeration Unit of Two Trailers Crossing Each Other Using Transient Computational Fluid Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The dynamic loading on the skin of a refrigeration unit mounted in the gap between tractor and trailer is studied while another trailer passes by on a freeway using transient computational fluid dynamics. Dynamic Meshing methodology available in Ansys Fluent was used to understand the transient pressure and flow regimes in and around the tractor trailer gap in general and refrigeration unit in particular, at various vehicle speeds. The influences of the lateral distance between the crossing trailers and vehicle speed on the pressure distribution on the refrigeration unit have been studied.
CitationBalakrishna, A. and Wang, G., "Aerodynamic Study between the Tractor Trailer Gaps Mounted with a Refrigeration Unit of Two Trailers Crossing Each Other Using Transient Computational Fluid Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8154, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8154.
- ZHANG Zhe, ZHANG Ying-Chao and LI Jie., “Vehicles Aerodynamics While crossing Each Other on road based on Computational Fluid Dynamics,” Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols 29-32 (2010) pp 1344-1349.
- STAR-CD User Guide Version 3.15, Computational Dynamics Limited 1999.
- STAR-CD Methodology Version 3.15, Computational Dynamics Limited 1999.
- Abdel Azim, A., "An Experimental Study of the Aerodynamic Interference Between Road Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 940422, 1994, doi:10.4271/940422.
- Abdel Azim, A. and Abdel Gawad, A., "A Flow Visualization Study of the Aerodynamic Interference Between Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0355, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0355.
- Krupakar Pasala et al., “A CFD Investigation into the Flow Distribution on a Car passing by a Truck” International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 2014 INPRESSCO
- Ansys Fluent Version 15, 35.10 Dynamic Mesh Task Page, User’s Guide.
- Ansys ICEM CFD Version 15, User’s Guide.
- Department for Transport (2006). Smoothing the Flow at TNT Express and Somerfield Using Truck Aerodynamic Styling