This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Application of Body CAE Multi-Attribute Optimization Based on Metamodelbased Optimization Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Body structure design needs to meet multi-attributes requirements such as global bend stiffness/modal, torsion stiffness/modal, Noise and velocity transfer functions (NTF/VTF), and others. Computer-aided engineering (CAE) is a significant way to enhance the accuracy of design results. However, it also brings computation burden for optimization. In order to improve the performance and reduce the weight of automobile body structure, this paper presents a novel process of body CAE multi-attributes optimization. Four significant phases are described: 1) Sensitivity analysis for each body CAE performance, 2) MDO process, 3) Non-sensitive gauges reducing, and 4) Slightly optimization. Considering the mixed variables in the MDO process including continuous geometry shapes and discrete gauges, the developed continuous relaxation method was employed to deal with such situation. A real application of BIW design was implemented to illustrate the efficiency and contribution of such proposed optimization process. The attributes considered during optimization include global bend and torsion modal/stiffness. The MDO and non-sensitive gauge reducing processes are implemented to lead to a significant weight saving over 7.5 kg.
CitationPeng, L., Wang, Z., and Gu, J., "An Application of Body CAE Multi-Attribute Optimization Based on Metamodelbased Optimization Method," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8123, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8123.
- Park H.S. , Dang X.P. Structural Optimization Based on CADCAE Integration and Metamodeling Techniques Computer-Aided Design 42 10 889 902 2010 10.1016/j.cad.2010.06.003
- Nammalwar , G. , Shahidi , B. , Barthelemy , B. et al. Automated Multidisciplinary Optimization (MDO) Process Development and Application on Vehicle Program 2011 SIMULIA Customer Conference Barcelona, Spain May 18, 2011
- Rakowska , J. , Chator , A. , Barthelemy , B. et al. An Iterative Application of Multi-Disciplinary Optimization for Vehicle Body Weight Reduction Based on 2015 Mustang Product Development SAE Technical Paper 8 3 685 692 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0470
- Dominguez , A. , Stiharu , I. , and Sedaghati , R. Practical Design Optimization of Truss Structures Using the Genetic Algorithms Research in Engineering Design 17 2 73 84 2006 10.1007/s00163-006-0020-8
- Wang , G.G. , Shan , S. Review of Metamodeling Techniques in Support of Engineering Design Optimization Journal of Mechanical Design 129 4 370 380 2007 10.1115/1.2429697
- Oudjene , M. , Ben-Ayed , L. , Delameziere , A. , Batoz , J.L. Shape Optimization of Clinching Tools Using the Response Surface Methodology with Moving Least-Square Approximation Journal of Materials Processing Technology 209 1 289 296 2009 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.02.030
- Fang , H.B. , Horstemeyer , M.F. Global Response Approximation with Radial Basis Functions Engineering Optimization 38 4 407 424 2006 10.1080/03052150500422294
- Cressie , N. Spatial Predication and Ordinary Kriging Mathematical Geology 20 4 405 421 1988 10.1007/bf00892986
- Younis , A. , and Dong , Z.M. Trends, Features, and Tests of Common and Recently Introduced Global Optimization Methods Engineering Optimization 42 8 691 718 2010 10.1080/03052150903386674
- Jin R. , Chen W. , Sudjianto A. An Efficient Algorithm Constructing Optimal Design of Computer Experiment Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 134 1 268 287 2005 10.1016/j.jspi.2004.02.014
- Kleijinen J.P.C. , van Beers W. et al. Constrained Optimization in Expensive Simulation: Novel Approach Eur J Oper Res 202 1 164 174 2010
- Lei P. , Liu L. , Teng L. , Wu , Y. An Efficient Truss Structure Optimization Framework Based on CAD/CAE Integration and Sequential Radial Basis Function Metamodel Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 50 329 346 2014 10.1007/s00158-014-1050-x