This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimation of Excavator Manipulator Position Using Neural Network-Based Vision System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A neural network-based computer vision system is developed to estimate position of an excavator manipulator in real time. A camera is used to capture images of a manipulator, and the images are down-sampled and used to train a neural network. Then, the trained neural network can estimate the position of the excavator manipulator in real time. To study the feasibility of the proposed system, a webcam is used to capture images of an excavator simulation model and the captured images are used to train a neural network. The simulation results show that the developed neural network-based computer vision system can estimate the position of the excavator manipulator with an acceptable accuracy.
CitationXu, J., Yoon, H., Lee, J., and Kim, S., "Estimation of Excavator Manipulator Position Using Neural Network-Based Vision System," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8122, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8122.
- Singh S., “State of the art in automation of earthmoving,” J. Aerosp. Eng., vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 179-188, 1997.
- Yu H., Liu Y., and Hasan M. S., “Review of modelling and remote control for excavators,” Int. J. Adv. Mechatron. Syst., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 68-80, 2010.
- Xu, J., Thompson, B., and Yoon, H., "Automated Grading Operation for Hydraulic Excavators," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2405, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2405.
- Mulligan, I. Jane, Mackworth Alan K., and Lawrence Peter D.. "A model-based vision system for manipulator position sensing." In Interpretation of 3D Scenes, 1989. Proceedings., Workshop on, pp. 186-193. IEEE, 1989.
- Zhao, Liang, and Thorpe Charles E.. "Stereo-and neural network-based pedestrian detection." Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on 1, no. 3 (2000): 148-154.
- Liu, Fanjun, Cao, Binggang, Li, Jinze, Chen, Shuangwen, et al. "A Neural Network Enhanced Stereo Vision Obstacle Detection and Avoidance System for Unmanned Ground Vehicle." In 2nd International Conference on Advances in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE 2013). Atlantis Press, 2013.
- Sivaraman, Sayanan, and Trivedi Mohan M.. "A review of recent developments in vision-based vehicle detection." In Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 310-315. 2013.
- Hebert, Martial H., Thorpe Charles E., and Anthony Stentz, eds. Intelligent unmanned ground vehicles: autonomous navigation research at Carnegie Mellon. Vol. 388. Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.
- Hagan, Martin T., Demuth Howard B., Beale Mark H., and Jesús Orlando De. Neural network design. Vol. 20. Boston: PWS publishing company, 1996.