This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Research on the Temperature Control Stability of Hydraulic Retarder Oil Based on Organic Rankine Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The hydraulic retarder is an auxiliary braking device generally equipped on commercial vehicles. Its oil temperature change influences the brake performance of hydraulic retarder. The Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) is a good means to recover exhausted heat. Moreover, it can cool oil and stably control oil temperature with the help of heat absorption related with evaporation. Comprehensively considering the heat-producing characteristics of hydraulic retarder and the temperature control demand, the aimed boundary conditions are determined. Also the changing rules about the working medium flow rate are obtained. In this work, the heat-producing properties of hydraulic retarder under different conditions and the oil external circulating performance is firstly analyzed. By researching the system’s adaptation to the limiting conditions, the aimed temperature to control is prescribed. Then combined with the existing ORC structure, the variation of evaporation temperature and working medium flow rate in the evaporator is disclosed. On the basis, the energy consumption of the pump and the cooling fan is calculated. By comparing the simulation results between the ORC system and the traditional water-cooling system, the temperature control stability, the system energy consumption and the braking torque characteristics of the hydraulic retarder are compared and contrasted. The experiment proves the effectiveness of the oil temperature control by using the ORC system. The results reveal that the ORC system decreases the oil temperature variation by 87% and recovers at least 1kW energy for the vehicle use under the same working condition. Besides it can decrease at most 150N*m braking torque fluctuation. Both the retardant braking stability and the vehicle energy utilization are improved, so the system deserves a future promotion.
CitationRen, Y., Tan, G., Ji, K., Zhou, L. et al., "The Research on the Temperature Control Stability of Hydraulic Retarder Oil Based on Organic Rankine Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8085, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8085.
- Gangfeng, Tan. 2011. “The Thermal Research on Special Vehicle Driveline.”
- Yibing, Long. 2008. “The Research of Heat Exchange System Diathermanous Performance Between the Engine and Hydraulic Retarder.”
- Zhe, Yuan. 2013. “Study on Heat-Flow Coupling and Heat Transfer System of Hydraulic Retarder of Heavy Vehicle.”
- Jietao, Wen. 2014. “Study on Transient Oil-filling Characteristics and Thermal Management of Hydraulic Retarder.”
- Yun, Gao. 2013. “The Simulation and Analysis of Hydraulic Retarder Braking Performance of Heavy Vehicles.”
- Liu, W., Tan, G., Li, J., Li, X. et al., "Integrated Cooling Evaporation System for the Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1612, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1612.
- Chen, M., Guo, X., and Tan, G., "Effects of Different Oil Inlet and Outlet Distribution on Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2498, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2498.
- Yingcheng, Liu. “The Hydraulic Coupling Handbook.” ISBN 978-7-122-02016-1.
- Ren, Y., Yang, B., Tan, G., Gao, X. et al., "The Research of Solar Organic Rankine Evaporation Cycle System for Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1268, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1268.
- Dittus F W. Boelter L M K. Publications in Engineering [M]. CA, USA: University of California, Berkeley, 1930.
- Hua, Wang. Huitao, Wang. “Low Temperature Waste Heat Power Generation: Organic Rankine Cycle Technology (in Chinese).” ISBN 978-7-03-027850-0.
- Incropera, F.P., DeWitt, D.P., Bergman, T.L. and Lavine, A.S. “Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, 6th edition.” ISBN 0-471-45728-0.
- Tan, G. and Guo, X., “The Modeling and Performance Analysis of the Retarder Thermal Management System,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1929, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1929.
- Yu, Z., Tan, G., He, T., Guo, X. et al., "The Selection of Working Fluid Used in the Organic Rankine Cycle System for Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0187, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0187.
- Zhou, L., Tan, G., Guo, X., Chen, M. et al., "Study of Energy Recovery System Based on Organic Rankine Cycle for Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0239, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0239.