This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis and Design Validation of Medium Duty Truck Cooling System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Various 1D simulation tools (KULI & LMS Amesim) and 3D simulation tools (ANSYS FLUENT®) can be used to size and evaluate truck cooling system design. In this paper, ANSYS FLUENT is used to analyze and validate the design of medium duty truck cooling systems. LMS Amesim is used to verify the quality of heat exchanger input data.
This paper discusses design and simulation of parent and derivative trucks. As a first step, the parent truck was modeled in FLUENT (using standard' k - ε model) with detailed fan and underhood geometry. The fan is modeled using Multiple Reference Frame (MRF) method. Detailed geometry of heat exchangers is skipped. The heat exchangers are represented by regular shape cell zones with porous medium and dual cell heat exchanger models to account for their contributions to the entire system in both flow and temperature distribution. Good agreement is observed between numerical and experimental engine out temperatures at different engine operating conditions. Once the CFD approach is validated, CFD simulation is carried out with derivative truck design. The rich information from CFD simulations will be used to evaluate the new designs much faster and eventually improve the efficiency of cooling system designs. Implemented design recommendations are shown to meet the cooling requirements.
- Rohit Saha - Cummins Inc.
- Mahesh Madurai Kumar - Cummins Inc.
- Long-Kung Hwang - Cummins Inc.
- Xingshi Wang - ANSYS Inc
- Weiqing Sun - Dongfeng Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Yan Wang - Dongfeng Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Wei Cheng - Dongfeng Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Mingjin Lin - Dongfeng Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Fengchao Zhang - Dongfeng Cummins Engine Co., Ltd.
- Xiaodan Zhang - Dongfeng Cummins Engine Co., Ltd.
- Liu Yagui - Dongfeng Cummins Engine Co., Ltd.
CitationSaha, R., Madurai Kumar, M., Hwang, L., Wang, X. et al., "Analysis and Design Validation of Medium Duty Truck Cooling System," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8073, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8073.
- Nobel , T. and Jain , S. A Multi-Dimensional Approach to Truck Underhood Thermal Management SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2785 2001 10.4271/2001-01-2785
- Nobel , T. and Jain , S. Improving Truck Underhood Thermal Management Through CFD SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1027 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1027
- Dinc , C. , Arslan , O. , Akgun , T. , and Almenar , R. Improvement of Engine Cooling Performance for a Construction Truck using Numerical and Experimental Methods SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2054 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2054
- Pan , F. , Schoon , R. , Putta , S. , Ogale , A. et al. A Practical Simulation Approach for Truck Cooling System At Early Stage Design Process and Development SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1927 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1927
- Hallqvist , T. The Cooling Airflow of Heavy Trucks - a Parametric Study SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 1 1 119 133 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1171
- Juan , T. Investigation and Assessment of Factors Affecting the Underhood Cooling Air Flow Using CFD SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2658 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2658
- Srinivasa , V. , S , R. , and Shome , B. Design of Experiments Enabled CFD Approach for Optimizing Cooling Fan Performance SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0658 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0658
- Bhatnagar , B. , Schlesinger , D. , Alajbegovic , A. , Beedy , J. et al. Simulation of Class 8 Truck Cooling System: Comparison to Experiment under Different Engine Operation Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4111 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4111
- Lafferty , C. , Alajbegovic , A. , and Horrigan , K. Under-hood Thermal Simulation of a Class 8 Truck SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4280 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4280
- Lu , L. , Zhang , L. , Liu , S. , Le Loc'h , E. et al. Optimization of Aerodynamics and Engine Cooling Performance of a JMC Mid-Size Truck using Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2032 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2032
- Sengupta , R. , Beedy , J. , and Horrigan , K. Combined Analysis of Cooling Airflow and Aerodynamic Drag for a Class 8 Tractor Trailer Combination SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 4 1 263 274 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2288
- Martini , H. , Gullberg , P. , and Lofdahl , L. Comparative Studies between CFD and Wind Tunnel Measurements of Cooling Performance and External Aerodynamics for a Heavy Truck SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7 2 640 652 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2443
- Larsson , L. , Wiklund , T. , and Löfdahl , L. Cooling Performance Investigation of a Rear Mounted Cooling Package for Heavy Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0174 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0174
- Yang , S. , Wang , D. , Dang , Y. , and Li , L. Numerical Simulation and Optimization of the Underhood Fluid Field and Cooling Performance for Heavy Duty Commercial Vehicle under Different Driving Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2902 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2902
- Dickson , J. , Ellis , M. , Rousseau , T. , and Smith , J. Validation and Design of Heavy Vehicle Cooling System with Waste Heat Recovery Condenser SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7 2 458 467 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2339
- Luo J. Y. , Issa R. I. , and Gosman A. D. Prediction of Impeller-Induced Flows in Mixing Vessels Using Multiple Frames of Reference I ChemE Symposium Series 136 549 556 1994
- ANSYS Fluent Version R16.2 User’s Guide
- LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim 2014 Heat Exchanger Library Amesim User manual and Software