This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving Engine Pre-Start And After-Start Heating by Using the Combined Heating System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The article discusses the use of the combined heating system with phase-transitional thermal accumulator. The peculiarity of the presented system is that it uses thermal energy of exhaust gas, coolant and motor oil, and emissions of the internal combustion engine during its operation to accumulate the thermal energy. The results of experimental studies of the combined heating system are shown. A system and methods for pre-start and after-start heating of the vehicular engine in the investigated system are developed. The structure of the "combined heating” system to study the impact of its structural and adjustment parameters on the performance of thermal development of the vehicular engine is described. The use of the combined heating system within phase-transitional thermal accumulators is compared with the use of standard systems for a truck engine 8FS 9.2 / 8. It reduces the time of coolant and motor oil thermal development by 22.9-57.5% and 25-57% accordingly. With the engine being shut off, it also increases their long-term storage with their optimal temperatures to 9-92 times and 6.2-61 times accordingly. The peculiarities of forming and using the system under study depend on operational needs, climatic conditions and the category of the vehicle.
CitationGritsuk, I., Volkov, V., Gutarevych, Y., Mateichyk, V. et al., "Improving Engine Pre-Start And After-Start Heating by Using the Combined Heating System," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8071, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8071.
- Gritsuk I.V. "The development and the study of the combined heating system of engines and vehicles", Herald of Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University, 70: 23 - 32, 2015.
- Vashurkin I.O. “Thermal development and start of ICE of mobile vehicles and construction machinery in winter” - SantPeterburg: Nauka Publ., 2002. 145 p.
- Shulgin V.V. “Engine pre-start heating system with thermal accumulator for city buses” - SPb .: City traffic engineering and traffic safety: SPb. Saint Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering, 2002. :372-375.
- Volkov V.P., Gritsuk I.V., Gutarevych, Yu. F., Aleksandrov V.D., Poddubnyak V. Yo., Prilepskiy Yu.V., Komov P.B., Adrov D.S., Verbovskiy V.S., Krasnokutska Z.I., Volkova T.V. “ICE heating systems: the basics of functioning” - Donetsk.: LANDON-XXI, 2015.- 314 p.
- Morosuk T. Morosuk C., Bishliaga S. “Thermodynamic analysis of traditional and alternative heating systems for Ukraine” // In: Advances in Energy Studies. Reconsidering the Importance of Energy, Eds. Ulgiati, S., Brown, T.M., Giampietro, V., Herendeed, R.A. and Mayumi, K. (SGEditoriali, Padova). - 2003. - P. 381-388.
- Valero A. et al. “Structural theory and thermoeconomic diagnosis” // Proceedings of Conference ECOS’99. - Tokyo (Japan). - 1999. - P. 368-379.
- Balasanyan G.A. “The effectiveness of advanced integrated systems for energy supply based on cogeneration units of low capacity (theoretical basics, analysis, optimization)”, Doctoral Thesis of Technical Sciences, Technical thermal physics and industrial combined heat and power, Odesa, 2007. 356 p.
- Karnauhov N.N., Pustovalov I.A., Yarkin A.V. “Thermal accumulator for maintaining ICE start temperature of construction machinery in winter”, Motor transport enterprise, 11:45 - 48, 2010.
- Patent for invention № 103729 Ukraine, (2013.01) F01P 3/22, B60H 1/04, B60K 11/00, "The system of coolant optimal temperatures in ICE" / Gutarevych Yu.F., Mateichyk V.P., Gritsuk I.V., Volkov V.P., Kagramanyan A.O., Komov P.B., Komov O.B., Poddubnyak V.Yo., Sergiyenko M.I., Krasnokutska Z.I. / (Ukraine); Patent applicant and patent holder: National Transport University, State № ua 103729; app. 30.10.2012; publ. 10.04.2013, Bul. №7.- 17p.:il.
- Patent for invention № 106525 Ukraine, F01P 3/22 (2013.01), B60H 1/04 (2013.01), "The system of coolant optimal temperatures in ICE" / Gutarevych Yu.F., Mateichyk V.P., Gritsuk I.V., Volkov V.P., Kagramanyan A.O., Komov P.B., Komov O.B., Poddubnyak V.Yo., Sergiyenko M.I., Krasnokutska Z.I., Yeroschenkov S.A., Verbovskiy V.S., Adrov D.S., Makedonska L.O., Komov A.P., Komov Ye.O. / (Ukraine); Patent applicant and patent holder: National Transport University, Kharkiv National Transport University, Ukrainian State Academy of Railway Transport, Donetsk Railway Transport Institute, State № ua 106525; app. 16.10.2012 application: a2012 11919, publ. 10.09.2014, Bul. №17.-17p.:il.
- Aleksandrov V.D. "The kinetics of nucleation and mass crystallization of supercooled liquids and amorphous media". Donetsk. Donbas, 2011, 580 p.
- Paraffin.UPAcom. "Ukrainian paraffin company", http://www.ukr-prom.com/cat-himicheskaya-prodykciya/nefteprodykti/10609/, June 2015.
- Dmytrychenko M. F. , Mateichyk V. P. , Gryschuk O. K. , Tsyuman M. P. "Systems analysis techniques for automotive engineering". Kyiv. NTU, 2014. 168 p.
- Gritsuk, I., Gutarevych, Y., Mateichyk, V., and Volkov, V., "Improving the Processes of Preheating and Heating after the Vehicular Engine Start by Using Heating System with Phase-Transitional Thermal Accumulator," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0204, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0204.
- Verbovskiy V.S. "The assessment of pre-start and after-start development of gas engine K-159 M2 using the combined system of pre-start heating", The collection of scientific papers DonIZT UkrDAZT. 39: 93-99, 2014.