This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
UniTire Model for Tire Cornering Properties under Varying Traveling Velocities
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The tire mechanics characteristics are essential for analysis and control of vehicle dynamics. Basically, the effects of sideslip, longitudinal slip, camber angle and vertical load are able to be represented accurately by current existing tire models. However, the research of velocity effects for tire forces and moments are still insufficient. Some experiments have demonstrated that the tire properties actually vary with the traveling velocity especially when the force and moment are nearly saturated. This paper develops an enhanced brush tire model and the UniTire semi-physical model for tire forces and moments under different traveling velocities for raising need of advanced tire model.
The primary effects of velocity on tire performances are the rubber friction distribution characteristics at the tire-road interface. Therefore, in this paper, a simplified analytical tire model considering rubber dynamic friction is established first, which can be used to analyze the effects of distributed friction force in the tire contact patch. Then, considering the effects of traveling velocity, the UniTire semi-physical tire model for tire forces and moments is developed. Finally, the comparison between test data and simulation results of the model are conducted and analyzed prior to the conclusions.
CitationXu, N., Guo, K., and Yang, Y., "UniTire Model for Tire Cornering Properties under Varying Traveling Velocities," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8037, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8037.
- Pacejka, H.B., "Tyre and Vehicle Dynamics, third edition," Butterworth Heinemann, 2012.
- Dugoff, H., Fancher, P., and Segel, L., "An Analysis of Tire Traction Properties and Their Influence on Vehicle Dynamic Performance," SAE Technical Paper 700377, 1970, doi:10.4271/700377.
- Bernard, J., Segel, L., and Wild, R., "Tire Shear Force Generation During Combined Steering and Braking Maneuvers," SAE Technical Paper 770852, 1977, doi:10.4271/770852.
- Guo, K. and Ren, L., "A Unified Semi-Empirical Tire Model with HigherAccuracy and Less Parameters," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0785, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0785.
- Svendenius, J., Gäfvert, M., "A Semi-Empirical Tire Model for Combined Slips Including the Effects of Cambering," Vehicle System Dynamics, 43(supplement): 317-328, 2005.
- Salaani, M. K., "Analytical Tire Forces and Moments with Physical Parameters," Tire Science and Technology, 36(1): 3-42, 2008.
- Best, M. C., "A New Empirical ‘Exponential’ Tyre Model," International Journal of Vehicle Design, 65 (2-3): 241-255, 2014.
- Sakai, H., "Theoretical and Experimental Studies on the Dynamics Properties of Tyres Part 4: Investigations of the Influences of Running Conditions by Calculation and Experiment, " International Journal of Vehicle Design, 3(3), 1982.
- Hoogh, J., "Implementing Inflation Pressure and Velocity Effects into the Magic Formula Tyre Model," Eindhoven University of Technology, 2005
- Guo, K.H., Zhuang, Y., Lu, D., Chen, S.K. et al., "A Study on Speed-dependent Tyre-road Friction and Its Effect on the Force and the Moment," Vehicle System Dynamics, 43(S):329-340, 2005.
- Gipser, M., "FTire: A Physically based Application-Oriented Tyre Model for Use with Detailed MBS and Finite-Element Suspension Models," Vehicle System Dynamics, 43(s1): 76-91, 2005.
- Gipser, M., "FTire and Puzzling Tyre Physics: Teacher, Not Student," Vehicle System Dynamics, 1-15, 2015.
- Persson, B. N. J., "Theory of Rubber Friction and Contact Mechanics," Journal of Chemical Physics, 115(8): 3840-3861, 2001.
- Persson, B. N. J., "Rubber Friction: Role of the Flash Temperature, " J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 18: 7789-7823, 2006.
- Pauwelussen, J. P., "The Local Contact Between Tyre and Road Under Steady State Combined Slip Conditions," Vehicle System Dynamics, 41(1):1-26, 2004.
- Guo, K.H. and Lu D., "UniTire: Unified Tire Model for Vehicle Dynamic Simulation," Vehicle System Dynamics, 45(s): 79-99, 2007.