This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on the Effect of Lubricant Oil and Fuel Properties on LSPI Occurrence in Boosted S. I. Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of lubricant oil and fuel properties on low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) occurrence in boosted S.I. engines were experimentally evaluated with multi-cylinder engine and de-correlated oil and fuel matrices. Further, the auto-ignitability of fuel spray droplets and evaporated homogeneous fuel/oil mixtures were evaluated in a combustion bomb and pressure differential scanning calorimetry (PDSC) tests to analyze the fundamental ignition process.
The work investigated the effect of engine conditions, fuel volatility and various lubricant additives on LSPI occurrence. The results support the validity of aspects of the LSPI mechanism hypothesis based on the phenomenon of droplets of lubricant oil/fuel mixture (caused by adhesion of fuel spray on the liner wall) flying into the chamber and autoigniting before spark ignition.
Combustion bomb experiments confirmed that lubricant oil sprays have higher auto-ignitability than gasoline fuel components, and no particular effects of lubricant additives on ignitability were observed. However, under the conditions of the PDSC test, it was shown that the oxidative stability of fuel/oil mixtures is lower as the fuel/oil ratio is increased, and higher levels of calcium lubricant additives can bestow enhanced oxidation stability on some mixtures. These results indicate that calcium may promote autoignition during combustion under preheated and premixed mixture conditions, even though it plays an active role in preventing liquid phase oxidation.
From this analysis, it is hypothesized that in real engines, certain lubricant additives, initially preheated by the autoignition of oil derived droplets, may give a greater propensity for subsequent flame propagation and abnormal combustion phenomena.
- Masaharu Kassai - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Ken Torii - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Taisuke Shiraishi - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Toru Noda - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Tor Kit Goh - Shell Global Solutions (Deutschland) GMB
- Karsten Wilbrand - Shell Global Solutions (Deutschland) GMB
- Shaun Wakefield - Shell Global Solutions US Inc.
- Adam Healy - Shell Global Solutions (UK)
- David Doyle - Shell Global Solutions (UK)
- Roger Cracknell - Shell Global Solutions (UK)
- Masahiko Shibuya - Showa Shell Sekiyu K K
CitationKassai, M., Torii, K., Shiraishi, T., Noda, T. et al., "Research on the Effect of Lubricant Oil and Fuel Properties on LSPI Occurrence in Boosted S. I. Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2292, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2292.
- Kalghatgi, G. and Bradley, D. : Pre-ignition and ‘super-knock’ in turbo-charged spark-ignition engines, International Journal of Engine Research, 13, pp.399-414 (2012)
- Zahdeh, A., Rothenberger, P., Nguyen, W., Anbarasu, M. et al., "Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):246-273, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0340.
- Inoue, T., Inoue, Y., and Ishikawa, M., "Abnormal Combustion in a Highly Boosted SI Engine - The Occurrence of Super Knock," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1141, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1141.
- Takeuchi, K., Fujimoto, K., Hirano, S., and Yamashita, M., "Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(3):1017-1024, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1615.
- Dahnz, C., Han, K., Spicher, U., Magar, M. et al., "Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):214-224, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0355.
- Uchida, R., Tanaka, D., Noda, T., Okamoto, S. et al., "Impingement Behavior of Fuel Droplets on Oil Film," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0913, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0913.
- Kassai, M., Hashimoto, H., Shiraishi, T., Teraji, A. et al., "Mechanism Analysis on LSPI Occurrence in Boosted S. I. Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1867, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1867.
- Palaveev, S., Magar, M., Kubach, H., Schiessl, R. et al., "Premature Flame Initiation in a Turbocharged DISI Engine -Numerical and Experimental Investigations," SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):54-66, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0252.
- Okada, Y., Miyashita, S., Izumi, Y., and Hayakawa, Y., "Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):584-594, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1218.
- Kuboyama, T., Moriyoshi, Y., and Morikawa, K., "Visualization and Analysis of LSPI Mechanism Caused by Oil Droplet, Particle and Deposit in Highly Boosted SI Combustion in Low Speed Range," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):529-537, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0761.
- Palaveev, S. et al. : Simulations and experimental investigations of intermittent pre-ignition series in a turbocharged DISI engine, 4th International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines (Berlin), pp.414-442 (2013)
- Döhler A. et.al.: A contribution to better understanding the pre-ignition phenomenon in highly charged internal combustion engines with direct fuel injection, 4th International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines (Berlin), pp.41-61 (2013)
- Lauer T. et al. : Model Approach for Pre-Ignition Mechanisms, MTZ worldwide, Vol. 75, Issue 1, pp.44-49 (2014)
- Schünemann E. et al. : Pre-ignition analysis on a turbocharged gasoline engine with direct injection, 4th International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines, pp.380-393 (2013)
- Ito, H. et al. : A Study on Ignition Characteristics of Droplets Containing Lubricant Using a Constant Volume Chamber and Multi-Dimensional CFD Code, JSAE Papers, Vol. 45, No.4, pp.671-676 (2014)
- Echigo, R. et al. : An Investigation on LSPI Mechanism in a Turbocharged Direct Injection Gasoline Engine, JSAE Papers, Vol. 46, No.4, pp.763-768 (2015)
- Ohtomo, M. et al. : Effect of a Single Oil Droplet on Ignition of Gasoline Mixture, Proceeding of JSAE Annual Spring Conference No.53-14, pp.5-10 (2014)
- Joedicke, A., Krueger-Venus, J., Bohr, P., Cracknell, R. et al., "Understanding the Effect of DISI Injector Deposits on Vehicle Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0391, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0391.
- Chapman, E., Davis, R., Studzinski, W., and Geng, P., "Fuel Octane and Volatility Effects on the Stochastic Pre-Ignition Behavior of a 2.0L Gasoline Turbocharged DI Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(2):379-389, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1226.
- Amann, M., Mehta, D., and Alger, T., "Engine Operating Condition and Gasoline Fuel Composition Effects on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in High-Performance Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):274-285, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0342.
- Amann, M., Alger, T., and Mehta, D., "The Effect of EGR on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):235-245, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0339.
- Amann, M., Alger, T., Westmoreland, B., and Rothmaier, A., "The Effects of Piston Crevices and Injection Strategy on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 5(3):1216-1228, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1148.
- Magar, M., Spicher, U., Palaveev, S., Gohl, M. et al., "Experimental Studies on the Occurrence of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged GDI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):495-504, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0753.
- Morikawa, K., Moriyoshi, Y., Kuboyama, T., Imai, Y. et al., "Investigation and Improvement of LSPI Phenomena and Study of Combustion Strategy in Highly Boosted SI Combustion in Low Speed Range," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0756, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0756.
- Hirano, S., Yamashita, M., Fujimoto, K., and Kato, K., "Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines (Part 2)," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2569, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2569.
- Kieberger, M et al. ; Continental’s pre-ignition and glow ignition function - detection and avoidance of irregular combustions, 4th International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines (Berlin), pp.360-379 (2013)
- Okada, Y et al. : Study of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition Mechanism Occurred by Deposit, JSAE Papers, Vol. 46, No.5, pp.859-866 (2015)
- Heywood J.B. : Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals
- Ritchie, A., Boese, D., and Young, A., "Controlling Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Modern Automotive Equipment Part 3: Identification of Key Additive Component Types and Other Lubricant Composition Effects on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):832-840, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0717.
- Sasaki, N., Nakata, K., Kawatake, K., Sagawa, S. et al., "The Effect of Fuel Compounds on Pre-ignition under High Temperature and High Pressure Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1984, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1984.
- Walker, J. and Tsang, W., "Characterization of Lubricating Oils by Differential Scanning Calorimetry," SAE Technical Paper 801383, 1980, doi:10.4271/801383.
- Keller, M. et al. : Behavior of High Temperature Lubricants in a Pressure Differential Scanning Calorimeter, Tribology Transactions, Vol. 41, No.4(1998)
- ASTM D6186-08, Standard Test Method for Oxidation Induction Time of Lubricating Oils by Pressure Differential Calorimetry (PDSC) (2013)
- Mayer, M., Hofmann, P., Geringer, B., Williams, J. et al., "Influence of Different Fuel Properties and Gasoline - Ethanol Blends on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):841-848, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0719.
- Fujimoto, K., Yamashita, M., Hirano, S., Kato, K. et al., "Engine Oil Development for Preventing Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Gasoline Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(3):869-874, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2785.
- Onodera, K., Kato, T., Ogano, S., Fujimoto, K. et al., "Engine Oil Formulation Technology to Prevent Pre-ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2027, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2027.