This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Global Market Gasoline Range Fuel Review using Fuel Particulate Emission Correlation Indices
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Particulate Matter Index (PMI) is a helpful tool which provides an indication of a fuel’s sooting tendency. Currently, the index is being used by various laboratories and OEMs as a metric to understand the gasoline range fuels impact on both sooting found on engine hardware and vehicle out emissions. This paper will explore a new method that could be used to give indication of the sooting tendency of the gasoline range fuels, with good correlation agreement to PMI. In addition, the paper will cover a global assessment of a gasoline range fuel’s sooting tendency based on the PMI number and the proposed method. Areas around the globe where market gasoline range fuels are of concern will be highlighted, in coordination with the new emissions regulations. Vehicle PM/PN data will also be presented that shows correlations of the indices to the vehicle response.
CitationChapman, E., Winston-Galant, M., Geng, P., and Konzack, A., "Global Market Gasoline Range Fuel Review using Fuel Particulate Emission Correlation Indices," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2251, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2251.
- Li , W. , Collins , J. , Durbin , T. , Huai , T. et al. Detection of Gasoline Vehicles with Gross PM Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1113 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1113
- Aikawa , K. , Sakurai , T. , and Jetter , J. Development of a Predictive Model for Gasoline Vehicle Particulate Matter Emissions SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 610 622 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2115
- Khalek , I. , Bougher , T. , and Jetter , J. Particle Emissions from a 2009 Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Using Different Commercially Available Fuels SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 623 637 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2117
- Barrientos , E. , Lapuerta , M. Boehman , A. Group additivity in soot formation for the example of C-5 oxygenated hydrocarbon fuels Combustion and Flame 160 2013 1484 1498 10.1016/j.combustflame.2013.02.024
- Barrientos , E. , Anderson , J. , Mariq , M. , Boehman , A. Particulate matter indices using fuel smoke point for vehicle emissions with gasoline, ethanol blends, and butanol blends Combustion and Flame 167 2016 308 319 10.1016/j.combustflame.2016.01.034
- Chapman , E. , Winston-Galant , M. , Geng , P. , Latigo , R. et al. Alternative Fuel Property Correlations to the Honda Particulate Matter Index (PMI) SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2250 2016
- Butler , A. , Sobotowski , R. , Hoffman , G. , and Machiele , P. Influence of Fuel PM Index and Ethanol Content on Particulate Emissions from Light-Duty Gasoline Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1072 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1072
- Sobotowski , R. , Butler , A. , and Guerra , Z. A Pilot Study of Fuel Impacts on PM Emissions from Light-Duty Gasoline Vehicles SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8 1 214 233 2015 10.4271/2015-01-9071