This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durable Copper and Iron SCR Catalysts for Mobile Diesel and Dual-Fuel Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The latest emission regulations for mobile and stationary applications require the use of aftertreatment methods for NOx and diesel particulate filters (DPF) for particulate matter (PM). SCR catalysts were evaluated by laboratory experiments and the most promising SCR catalysts were also scaled up to full-size. Development with copper (Cu) and iron (Fe) on zeolitic materials (Beta, ZSM-5, SAPO, chabazite) has resulted in the new generation of thermally durable SCR (selective catalytic reduction) catalysts, which have also an improved sulfur tolerance and a low N2O formation tendency. Opposite to Cu on Beta and ZSM-5, Cu on chabazite and SAPO showed clearly lower N2O formation. Cu-SCR catalysts had a low dependency on NO2/NOx but Fe-SCR catalysts required a higher NO2/NOx ratio (>0.3) to keep a high NOx efficiency. The decomposition of sulfates on the durable Cu- and Fe-SCR catalysts was investigated by temperature programmed oxidation (TPO) and reduction (TPR) methods to find the appropriate conditions for desulfation.
Full-scale SCR systems with diesel oxidation catalysts (DOC) were evaluated by engine bench experiments. The Cu-SCR based catalysts showed a wide operation window, resulting in NOx conversions above 95% as fresh and thermally aged at 650-750°C. The platinum containing ammonia slip catalyst (ASC) is usually integrated as a short zone on the SCR unit and its main role is to prevent slip in transient conditions.
CitationMaunula, T. and Wolff, T., "Durable Copper and Iron SCR Catalysts for Mobile Diesel and Dual-Fuel Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2214, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2214.
- Johnson , T. Vehicular Emissions in Review SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 216 234 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0368
- Maunula , T. Intensification of Catalytic Aftertreatments Systems for Mobile Applications SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0530 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0530
- Madia , G. , Koebel , M. , Elsener , M. and Wokaun , A. The effect of an oxidation precatalyst on the NO x reduction by ammonia SCR Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 41 2002 3512
- Maunula , T. , Lylykangas , R. , Lievonen , A. and Härkönen , M. NO x reduction by urea in the presence of NO 2 on metal substrated SCR catalysts for heavy-duty vehicles JSAE 20030191
- Maunula , T. , Kinnunen , T. , Kanniainen , K. , Viitanen , A. et al. Thermally Durable Vanadium-SCR Catalysts for Diesel Applications SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1063 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1063
- Sagar , A. , Trovarelli , A. , Casanova , M. , and Schermanz , K. A New Class of Environmental Friendly Vanadate Based NH3 SCR Catalysts Exhibiting Good Low Temperature Activity and High Temperature Stability SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1839 1849 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1331
- Wolff , T. , Deinlein , R. , Christensen , H. , and Larsen , L. Dual Layer Coated High Porous SiC - A New Concept for SCR Integration into DPF SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7 3 671 681 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1484
- Colombo , C. , Nova , I. , Tronconi , E. A comparative study of the NH 3 -SCR reactions over a Cu-zeolite and a Fezeolite catalyst Catal. Today 151 2010
- Luo , J. , An , H. , Kamasamudram , K. , Currier , N. et al. Impact of Accelerated Hydrothermal Aging on Structure and Performance of Cu-SSZ-13 SCR Catalysts SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 1181 1186 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1022
- Maunula , T. NOx Reduction with the Combinations on LNT and SCR in Diesel Applications SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7 1 195 206 2014 10.4271/2013-24-0161
- Keiski , R. , Räisänen , H. , Härkönen , M. , Maunula , T. and Niemistö , P. NO x Abatement in lean exhaust gas conditions over metal substrated zeolite catalysts Catal. Today 27 1996 85
- Rahkamaa-Tolonen , K. , Maunula , T. , Huuhtanen , M. , and Keiski , R.L. The effect of NO 2 on the activity of fresh and aged zeolite catalysts in the NH 3 -SCR reaction Catal. Today 100 217 2005
- Kwak , J.H. , Tonkyn , R.G. , Kim , D.H. , Szanyi , J. and Peden , C.H.F. Excellent activity and selectivity of Cu-SSZ-13 in the selective catalytic reduction of NO x with NH 3 J. Catal. 275 2010 187
- Ma , L. , Cheng , Y. , Cavataio , G. , McCabe , R. , Fua , L. and Lia , J. In situ DRIFTS and temperature-programmed technology study on NH 3 -SCR of NO x over Cu-SSZ-13 and Cu-SAPO-34 catalysts Appl. Catal. B 156-157 2014 428
- Wang , D. , Jangjou , Y , Liu , Y. , Sharma , M.K. , Luo , J. , , Li , J. , Kamasamudram , K. and Epling , W.S. A comparison of hydrothermal aging effects on NH 3 -SCR of NO x over Cu-SSZ-13 and Cu-SAPO-34 catalysts Appl. Catal. B 165 2015 438
- Ruggeri , M.P. , Nova , I. , Tronconi , E. , Collier , J.E. and York , A.P.E. Structure-activity relationship of different Cu-zeolite catalysts for NH 3 -SCR Proc. CAPOC 10 Conference Bruessels 28-30 Oct 2015
- Hou , X. , Epling , W. , Schmieg , S. , and Li , W. Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst Thermal Deactivation Studied with FTIR Spatial Resolution SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1298 1318 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1138
- Maunula , T. , Rahkamaa-Tolonen , K. , Viitanen , A. , Kärkkäinen , M. , Lievonen , A. and Kinnunen , T. Metal substrate SCR catalysts for NO x reduction in mobile applications ICEC Conference 31th Aug - 3rd Sept 2008 Belfast
- Maunula , T. , Kinnunen , T. , and Iivonen , M. Design and Durability of Vanadium-SCR Catalyst Systems in Mobile Off-Road Applications SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1316 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1316
- Frey , A.M. , Mert , S. , Due-Hansen , J. Fehrmann , R. and Christensen , C.H. Fe-BEA zeolite catalysts for NH 3 -SCR of NO x Catal. Lett. 130 2009 1
- Cheng , Y. , Montreuil , C. , Cavataio , G. , and Lambert , C. Sulfur Tolerance and DeSOx Studies on Diesel SCR Catalysts SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 471 476 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1023
- Theis , J. The Poisoning and Desulfation Characteristics of Iron and Copper SCR Catalysts SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 324 331 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0900
- Maunula , T. Combination of LNT and SCR for NO x reduction in passenger car applications, PTNSS-2014-205 Combustion Engines 157 2014 60