This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Testing of a High Temperature Inverter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 20, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The emergence of wide band gap devices has pushed the boundaries of power converter operations and high power density applications. The wide band gap devices in conjunction with silicon on insulator electronic components enable the realization of power converters that can operate at high ambient temperatures that are typically found in aerospace engine environments. This paper describes the design and test of a power electronic inverter that converts a fixed input DC voltage to a variable voltage variable frequency three phase output. The design of the key functional components such as the gate drive, power module, controller and communication will be discussed in this paper. Test results for the inverter at high temperature are also presented.
CitationKrishnamurthy, S., Savulak, S., and Wang, Y., "Design and Testing of a High Temperature Inverter," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2064, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2064.
- Behbahani, A., Wood, B., Benson, D., Berner, A., et al., “Technology Requirements and Development for Affordable High-Temperature Distributed Engine Controls” International Instrumentation Symposium 2012.
- Cilio, E., Mitchell, G., Lostetter, A., Schupbach, R. et al., "High Temperature, High Frequency SiC Three Phase Inverter for Aircraft Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1798, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1798.
- Chen, H., Yao, Y., Zhang, W., Boroyevich, D., et al., “Development of a 1200 V, 120 A SiC MOSFET Module for High-Temperature and High-Frequency Applications”. WiPDA 2013.
- Bergogne, D., Morel, H., Planson, D., Tournier D., et al., “Towards an airborne high temperature SiC inverter”, IEEE PESC 2008.
- Bortis, D., Wrzecionko, B. and Kolar, J., "A 120°C ambient temperature forced air-cooled normally-off SiC JFET automotive inverter system," APEC 2011.
- Savulak, S., Krishnamurthy, S. and Wang, Y., "Design and Testing of a High Temperature Inverter," HITEC 2016.