This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Method for Analytical Calculation of Harmonic Content of Auto-Transformer Rectifier Units
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 20, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Auto transformer rectifier units (ATRUs) are commonly used in aircraft applications such as electric actuation for harmonic mitigation due to their high reliability and relative low cost. However, those components and the magnetic filter components associated to it are the major contributors to the overall size and weight of the system. Optimization of the magnetic components is essential in order to minimize weight and size, which are major market drivers in aerospace industry today. This requires knowledge of the harmonic content of the current. This can be obtained by simulation, but the process is slow. In order to enable fast and efficient design space exploration of optimal solutions, an algebraic calculation process is proposed in this paper for multi-pulse ATRUs (e.g. 12-pulse and 18-pulse rectifiers), starting from existing solution proposed for 6 pulse rectifier in the literature. The method consists of mapping AC and DC sides of a balanced 6N-Pulse system into the sum of equivalent 6-Pulse systems. This problem can then be solved with available methods, and then the AC and DC currents are transformed back into the 6N-Pulse problem. The method is fast and accurate, and allows calculating both magnitudes and phase angles of AC and DC currents, thus enabling reconstruction of the current waveform.
CitationLoewenherz, R., Valdivia-Guerrero, V., Diaz Lopez, D., and Parkin, J., "Method for Analytical Calculation of Harmonic Content of Auto-Transformer Rectifier Units," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2059, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2059.
- Sakui M. , Fujita H. and Shioya M. A Method for Calculating Harmonic Currents of a Three-Phase Bridge Uncontrolled Rectifier with DC Filter IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 36 3 1989
- Choi S. , Enjeti P. N. and Pitel I. J. Polyphase Transformer Arrangements with Reduced kVA Capacities for Harmonic Current Reduction in Rectifier-Type Utility Interface IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 11 5 1996
- Yacamini R. and de Oliveira J.C. Harmonics in multiple convertor systems: a generalised approach Proceedings 127 2 1980
- David Graham A. Line Harmonic Currents in 12 Pulse Rectifiers with Unbalanced Supply Voltages IEEE 11th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power 2004
- Lei Q. , Shen M. , Blasko V. , Liang S. A Generalized DQ Impedance Model of ATRU system proc. of 29th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC) 16-20 March 2014 1874 1881
- Graham D. Harmonic Analysis of Interphase Currents in 12 Pulse Rectifiers proc. of 10th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power 2002 2
- Lei Q. , Shen M. , Blasko V. , Peng F. A Generalized Input Impedance Model of Three Phase Diode Rectifier proc. of 28th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC) 2013 2655 2661
- Sakui M. , Fujita H. Analytical Method for Calculating Harmonic Currents of a Three-phase Diode-Bridge Rectifier with dc Filter IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 9 6 Nov. 1994