This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electromechanical Actuator Cooling Fan Blades Design and Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 20, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For aircraft electromechanical actuator (EMA) cooling applications using forced air produced by axial fans, the main objective in fan design is to generate high static pressure head, high volumetric flow rate, and high efficiency over a wide operating range of rotational speed (1x∼3x) and ambient pressure (0.2∼1 atm). In this paper, a fan design based on a fan diameter of 86 mm, fan depth (thickness) of 25.4 mm, and hub diameter of 48 mm is presented. The blade setting angle and the chord lengths at the leading and trailing edges are varied in their suitable ranges to determine the optimal blade profiles. The fan static pressure head, volumetric flow rate, and flow velocity are calculated at various ambient pressures and rotational speeds. The optimal blade design in terms of maximum total-to-total pressure ratio and efficiency at the design point is obtained via CFD simulation. A 5-blade configuration yields the best performance in terms of efficiency and total pressure ratio. Our designed fan can perform satisfactorily as a cooling fan for EMA by operating at a rotational speed of 8,000∼22,000 rpm and in an ambient environment of 0.2∼1 atm.
CitationWu, W., Lin, Y., Chow, L., Gyasi, E. et al., "Electromechanical Actuator Cooling Fan Blades Design and Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1994, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1994.
- Eck B. Fans: design and operation of centrifugal axial flow and crossflow fans Pergamon Press New York 1972
- Wallis R. A. Axial flow fans and ducts A Wiley- Interscience Publication USA 1983
- Lee K. S. , Kim K. Y. and Samad A. Design optimization of low-speed axial flow fan blade with three-dimensional RANS analysis Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 22 1864 1869 2008
- Star-CCM+ user's manual CD Adapco Inc.
- Thevenin D. and Janiga G. Optimization and computational fluid dynamics Heidelberg Springer Verlag GmbH 2008
- Farebrother R. W. Linear least square computations Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York 1988
- Wu , W. , Lin , Y. , Chow , L. , and Leland , Q. Fan Performance Characteristics at Various Rotational Speeds and Ambient Pressures SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2219 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2219
- AMETEK Rotron's PROPIMAX 2 fan, SF3715 http://rotron.com/fans/tubeaxial/px2.aspx
- ISO 5801 Industrial fans - Performance testing using standardized airways International Organization for Standardization 2007