This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Matching for the Rankine Cycle Evaporate-condensate System of Hydraulic Retarder
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 18, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The hydraulic retarder is an auxiliary braking device used for commercial vehicle in a long slope brake, and its transmission oil generates a lot of heat in its working process. If the heat of transmission doesn’t go through a reasonable management, it will seriously affect the braking performance of hydraulic retarder.
To cool down the transmission oil, it will aggravates the load of the engine cooling system, and the long cooling path sometimes causes heat exchange not timely. When the Rankine cycle is used for cooling the hydraulic retarder transmission oil in virtue of its good heat transfer performance in phase change process, it can make the transmission oil temperature controlled more stable. In this new system, the setting parameters of the Evaporate-condensate system will affect the stability of the transmission oil temperature in the hydraulic retarder inlet and the energy recovery efficiency of the system.
First of all, the outlet temperature of hydraulic retarder is set according to the stable condition in this paper. Next, it is the heat transfer calculation of evaporator and condenser under the different braking powers of hydraulic retarder. Then the evaporate-condensate system is explored matching characteristics through experimental research and simulation. Moreover the experimental device combined with the ORC is established, narrowing 100 times according to the hydraulic retarder power. Finally, the rationality of system basic parameters is verified in the different braking powers of hydraulic retarder.
Experimental results verify the rationality of simulation results. In addition, the paper confirms hydraulic retarder temperature controlled steadily and gets the working medium flow of Rankine cycle in different braking powers.
CitationGao, X., Tan, G., Mei, B., Han, M. et al., "Research on Matching for the Rankine Cycle Evaporate-condensate System of Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1938, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1938.
- Wu , X. Commercial vehicle hydraulic retarder World Auto 2001 6
- Ren , Y. , Yang , B. , Tan , G. , Gao , X. et al. The Research of Solar Organic Rankine Evaporation Cycle System for Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1268 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1268
- Wang , J. , Yan , Z. , Wang , M. , Ma , S. et al. Thermodynamic analysis and optimization of an (organic Rankine cycle) ORC using low grade heat source Energy 49 2013 356 365
- Lee KM , Kuo SF , Chien ML et al. Paramem. Energ Convers Manage 1988 28 2 129 36
- Liu B.T. , Chien K.H. , Wang C.C. Effect of working fluids on organic Rankine cycle for waste heat recovery Energy 29 2004 1207 1217
- Yan , J. Study on Heat-Flow Coupling and Heat Transfer System of Hydrodynamic Retarder of Heavy Vehicle Jilin University 2013 12
- Liu , W. , Tan , G. , Li , J. , Li , X. et al. Integrated Cooling Evaporation System for the Hydraulic Retarder SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1612 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1612
- Incropera , F.P. , DeWitt , D.P. , Bergman , T.L. and Lavine , A.S. 0-471-45728-0 Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, 6th
- García-Cascales JR , Vera-García F , Corberán-Salvador JM , Gonzálvez-Maciá J. Assessment of boiling and condensation heat transfer correlations in the modelling of plate heat exchangers Int J Refrig 2007 30 6 1029 41
- Yan YY , Lin TF. Evaporation heat transfer and pressure drop of refrigerant R-134a in a plate heat exchanger J Heat Transf-T Asme 1999 121 1 118 27
- Bond M. P. Plate heat exchangers for effective heat transfer, The Chemical Engineer 1981 367 1981 162 167
- Muley A, M.R.M. Experimental study of turbulent flow heat transfer and pressure drop in plate heat exchanger with chevron plates Journal of Heat Transfer 1999
- Davenport C J. Correlation for Heat Transfer and Flow Friction Characteristics of Louvered Fin, AICHE, Symposium Ser. 225 1983 79 19 27
- Yan YY , Lio HC , Lin TF. Condensation heat transfer and pressure drop of refrigerant R-134a in a plate heat exchanger Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 1999 42 6 993 1006
- Yang C Y and Webb R L. Condensation of CFC-12 in Small Hydraulic Diameter Extruded Aluminum Tubes with and Without Micro-Fins Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 1996 39 4 719 800
- Yang C Y and Webb R L. Friction Pressure Drop of CFC-12 in Small Hydraulic Diameter Extruded Aluminum Tubes with and Without Micro-Fins Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 1996 39 4 801 809
- Zhou , L. , Tan , G. , Guo , X. , Chen , M. et al. Study of Energy Recovery System Based on Organic Rankine Cycle for Hydraulic Retarder SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0239 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0239