This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LiDAR Sensor Modeling for ADAS Applications under a Virtual Driving Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 14, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
LiDAR sensors have played more and more important role on Intelligent and Connected Vehicles (ICV) and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) .However, the development and testing of LiDAR sensors under real driving environment for ADAS applications are greatly limited by various factors, and often are impossible due to safety concerns. This paper proposed a novel functional LiDAR model under virtual driving environment to support development of LiDAR-based ADAS applications under early stage. Unlike traditional approaches on LiDAR sensor modeling, the proposed method includes both geometrical modeling approach and physical modeling approach. While geometric model mainly produces ideal scanning results based on computer graphics, the physical model further brings physical influences on top of the geometric model. The range detection is derived and optimized based on its physical detection and measurement mechanism. The model has been incorporated into PanoSim and proved to be valid and effective. A simulation of Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) feature is performed under PanoSim to verify the proposed model.
CitationLi, Y., Wang, Y., Deng, W., Li, X. et al., "LiDAR Sensor Modeling for ADAS Applications under a Virtual Driving Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1907, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1907.
- Deng, Weiwen, et al. "Modelling and simulation of sensor-guided autonomous driving." International journal of vehicle design 56.1-4 (2011): 341-366.
- Wang, Wei, Jia-hao Deng, and Jing-lan Ma. "Modeling and simulation on laser detector applied to space detecting." Systems and Control in Aerospace and Astronautics, 2008. ISSCAA 2008. 2nd International Symposium on. IEEE, 2008.
- Xue, Guo-gang, Sun, Dongsong, and Yang, Zhao. "Modeling and performance simulation of direct detection laser radar." Infrared and Laser Engineering 32.3 (2003): 244-247.
- Chen, Jinlin, et al. "Design for simulation software for lidar system." China Measurement Technology 33.5 (2007): 106-108.
- Powell, Gavin, et al. "Simulation of FLIR and LADAR data using graphics animation software." Computer Graphics and Applications, 2000. Proceedings. The Eighth Pacific Conference on. IEEE, 2000.
- Rasshofer, R. H., Spies M., and Spies H.. "Influences of weather phenomena on automotive laser radar systems." Advances in Radio Science 9.B. 2 (2011): 49-60.
- Dai,Yongjiang, "Lidar techonogy."(Publishing House of Electronics Industry) 179-182,ISNB: 9787121120824.
- Baidu Baike, " Atmospheric window ,", http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=prplFAdVYqIm40cTJ6X6PlBCwmDENwU8J0wFJB9PH5I9l_ZqA4BYmh3RSrMa15vT_OXadlpHcxOnrSWSElaKq accessed May 2016
- Yang,Ruike, et al. "Study of the attenuation characteristics of laser propagation in the atmosphere." Infrared and Laser Engineering z2 (2007): 415-418
- Li,Di, and Chen, Hui. "Study on attenuation characteristic of laser propagation in rain and fog." Electronic Design Engineering 19.9 (2011): 1-5.
- Xv, Zubing. "Study on propagation characteristic of laser in the atmosphere." . Diss. Nanjing: Nanjing University of Science and Technology(2006).
- Nebuloni, R., and Capsoni C.. "Laser attenuation by falling snow." Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing, 2008. CNSDSP 2008. 6th International Symposium on. IEEE, 2008.
- Euro NCAP, "Euro NCAP AEB Test Protocol v1.1 ,"http://euroncap.blob.core.windows.net/media/17719/euro-ncap-aeb-test-protocol-v11.pdf accessed May 2016