This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An ADAS-Oriented Virtual EPS Platform Based on the Force Feedback Actuator of the Steer-by-Wire System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 14, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electric Power Steering (EPS) is the actuator of several lateral-dynamic-related Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). A driving simulator with EPS will be much helpful for the ADAS development. However, if a real EPS is used in the driving simulator, it is quite difficult to realize the road reaction force accurately and responsively. To overcome this weakness, a virtual EPS platform is established. The virtual EPS platform contains two parts: one is the vehicle and EPS model, the other is the force feedback actuator (FFA) of the Steer-by-Wire (SBW) system. The FFA is an interface between the driver and the EPS/vehicle model. The reactive torque of the FFA is obtained based on the models. Meanwhile, the input of the EPS model is the steering angle of the FFA. Comparing to a real EPS, the virtual EPS platform has a problem of instability because of the actuator lag of the FFA. Therefore, a damping control method is applied to make the system stable. In addition, to make the steering characteristic of the FFA the same to that of the EPS model, the disturbance observer is introduced. The controller design based on the damping control and the disturbance observer is first conducted in the offline simulation and then modified on the test bench. At last, bench experiments are conducted to validate the virtual EPS platform. The results show that the steering characteristic of the EPS is well accomplished by the platform, and the steering feel is acceptable.
CitationFang, G. and Chen, H., "An ADAS-Oriented Virtual EPS Platform Based on the Force Feedback Actuator of the Steer-by-Wire System," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1905, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1905.
- Pruckner Affred , Stroph Ralf , Pfeffer Peter Drive-By-Wire, Handbook of Intelligent Vehicles Springer-Verlag London Ltd. 237 238 2012
- Asai , S. , Kuroyanagi , H. , Takeuchi , S. , Takahashi , T. et al. Development of a Steer-by-Wire System with Force Feedback Using a Disturbance Observer SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1100 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1100
- Balachandran Avinash , Gerdes J. Christian Designing Steering Feel for Steer-by-Wire Vehicles Using Objective Measures IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 20 1 373 383 2015
- Fahami Sheikh Muhammad Hafiz , Zamzuri Hairi , Mazlan Saiful Amri Development of Estimation Force Feedback Torque Control Algorithm for Driver Steering Feel in Vehicle Steer by Wire System: Hardware in the Loop International Journal of Vehicular Technology 1 17 2015
- Katzourakis Diomidis I. , Abbink David A. Steering Force Feedback for Human-Machine-Interface Automotive Experiment IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 32 43 2011 10.1109/TIM.2010.2065550
- Dang , J. , Chen , H. , Gao , B. , Li , Q. et al. Optimal Design of On-Center Steering Force Characteristic Based on Correlations between Subjective and Objective Evaluations SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7 3 992 1001 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0137
- Zhaojian Wang , Konghui Guo , Jianwei Zhang et al. Experimental Study on Anti-vibration of EPS 2010 International Conference on Computer, Mechatronics, Control and Electronic Engineering (CMCE) 292 295 2010
- Zaremba A.T. , Liubakka M.K. , Stuntz R.M. Control and Steering Feel Issues in the Desgin of an Electric Power Steering System Proceedings of the American Control Conference 36 40 1998 10.1109/ACC.1998.694623
- Li Qi Research on Friction Torque Control of Electric Power Steering System [D] Shanghai Tongji University 2015
- Kwon , J. and Park , K. Development of the Hardware-in-the Loop Simulator for Evaluating Performance of EPS System SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0139 2011 10.4271/2011-28-0139
- Toyohira , T. , Nakamura , K. , and Tanno , Y. The Validity of EPS Control System Development using HILS SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0008 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0008
- Lee H.M. , Lee K.S. , Ha S.K. , Bae J.I. et al Development of a Hardware in the Loop Simulation System for Electric Power Steering in Vehicles International Journal of Automotive Technology 12 5 2011 733 744 10.1007/s12239-011-0085-x
- Zhang Zhen The Study of Hardware-In-the-Loop Simulating System for EPS Evaluation [D] Shanghai Tongji University 2008
- Qi Li , Hui Chen , Liming Lou and Nakano Shirou Hinf Control for Friction Torque Simulation in Steer-by-wire Systems 2014CG-VE051 588 592 2014
- Tongji University Reactive Torque Simulation and the Control Method of Remote Control Systems China
- Dang Jianmin , Chen Hui , Chen Jiachen , Watanabe Takeshi et al Optimal Design of Driver Steering Override Strategy for Lane-keeping Assistance System 2016