This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aero-Vibro-Acoustic Wind Noise-Simulation Based on the Flow around a Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 9th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Aim of the ongoing development of passenger cars is to predict the interior acoustics early in the development process. A significant noise component results from the flow phenomena in the area of the side window. Wind noise is a physical problem that involves the three complicated aspects each governed by different physics: The complex turbulent flow field in the wake of the a-pillar and the side mirror is characterized by velocity and pressure fluctuations. The flow field generates sound which is transmitted into the passenger cabin. In addition to that, it excites the structure, resulting in a radiation of structure-borne noise into the interior of the car. Therefore, the sound generation is governed by fluid dynamics of the air flow. The sound transmission through the structure due to vibrations is determined by structural mechanics of the body structure. The sound propagation inside the cabin is influenced by interior room acoustics.
In the present work, different CFD simulations of the exterior flow were conducted to investigate the sound generation due to external air turbulence. For this purpose, a simplified model of an automobile was used. Additionally vibro and aeroacoustic simulations were conducted to solve the other two parts of the problem and to gain insight into the sound transmission into the passenger cabin.
|Technical Paper||Combining Modeling Methods to Accurately Predict Wind Noise Contribution|
|Technical Paper||Automobile Aerodynamic Noise|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Noise of Ground Vehicles|
CitationBecker, S., Nusser, K., and Oswald, M., "Aero-Vibro-Acoustic Wind Noise-Simulation Based on the Flow around a Car," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1804, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1804.
- Aljure, D., Rodriguez, I., Lehmkhul, O., Borrell, R., and Assensi, O.: Flow and turbulent structures around simplified car models, Proceedings of 15th International Conference on Fluid Flow Technologies (September 4 - 7, 2012, Budapest, Hungary), (2012)
- Ask, J. and Davidson, L.: A numerical investigation of the flow past a generic side mirror and its impact on sound generation, Fluid Eng D, Vol. 131, No. 6, (2009)
- Ask, J., Davidson, L.: Flow and dipole source evaluation of a generic SUV. J. Fluid Eng. 132(5), 051111 (2010)
- Argulillat, B., Ricot, D., Bailly, C., and Robert, G.: Measured wavenumber: Frequency spectrum associated with acoustic and aerodynamic wall pressure fluctuations, J Acoust Soc Am, Vol. 128, No. 4, pp. 16471655; (2010)
- Becker, S., Hahn, C., Kaltenbacher, M., and Lerch, R.: Flow-Induced Sound of Wall-Mounted Cylinders with Different Geometries, AIAA Journal , Vol. 46, No. 9, pp. 22652281, (2008)
- Bremner, P. and Wilby, J.: Aero-vibro-acoustics: Problem statement and methods for simulation-based design solution, Proceedings of 8th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 2002-2551, No. 2551,(2002)
- Bremner, P.: Vibroacoustic source mechanisms under aeroacoustic loads, Proceedings of 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (June 4 - 6, 2012, Colorado Springs (CO), USA). AIAA 2012-2206, No. 2206, (2012)
- Caro, S., Ramonda, A., Prot, F., Vergne, S., and Pechabat, M.: TBL noise generated by a simplified side mirror configuration and acoustic transfer through the window: Modeling using Actran and Fluent, Proceedings of 12th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 2006-2490, No. 2490, (2006)
- Corcos, G.: Resolution of pressure in turbulence. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 35(2), 192-199 (1963)
- Hartmann, M., Ocker, J., Lemke, T., Mutzke, A., Schwarz, V., Tokuno, H., Toppinga, R., Unterlechner, P., and Wickern, G.: Wind noise caused by the A-pillar and the side mirror flow of a generic vehicle model, Proceedings of 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 2012-2205, No. 2205, (2012)
- Höld, R., Brenneis, A., Eberle, A., Schwarz, V., and Siegert, R.: Numerical simulation of aeroacoustic sound generated by generic bodies placed on a plate: part 1 - prediction of aeroacoustic sources. Proceedings of 5th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 1999-1896, No. 1896, (1999)
- Hunt, J., Wray, A., Moin, P.: Eddies, stream and convergence zones in turbulent flows. Technical report CTR-S88, Center for Turbulent Research (1988)
- Kaltenbacher, M.: Advanced simulation tool for the design of sensors and actuators. Procedia Engineering 5, 597-600 (2010)
- Khalighi, B., Iaccarino, G., and Khalighi, Y.: Automotive flow and acoustic predictions using Large Eddy Simulations, Int J Fluid Mech Res, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 272289, (2012)
- Khalighi, B., Chen, K.-H., Johnson, J., Snegirev, A., Shinder, J., and Lupuleac, S.: Computational and experimental investigation of the unsteady flow structures around automotive outside rear-view mirrors, Int J Autom Tech, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 143150, (2013)
- Krajnovic, S., Davidson, L.: Flow around a simplified car, part 1: Large eddy simulation, J. Fluid Eng. 127(5), 907-918 (2005)
- Krajnovic, S.: The role of LES in unsteady ground vehicle aerodynamics, Proceedings of 15th International Conference on Fluid Flow Technologies, (2012)
- Lepley, D., Senthooran, S., Hendriana, D., and Frazer, T., "Numerical Simulations and Measurements of Mirror-Induced Wind Noise," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):1550-1562, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2236.
- Lighthill, M.J.: On sound generated aerodynamically. I. General theory. Proc. Roy. Soc. A. 211(1107) (1952)
- Minguez, M., Pasquetti, R., Serre, E.: High-order large-eddy simulation of flow over the ahmed body car model. Phys Fluids 20, 095101 (2008)
- Müller, S., Becker, S., Biermeier, T., Schafer, F., Grabinger, J., Kaltenbacher, M., and Blanchet, D.: Investigation of the Fluid-Structure Interaction and the Radiated Sound of Different Plate Structures Depending on Various Inflows, Proceedings of the 15th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, AIAA 2009-3390, (2009)
- Müller, S., Becker, S., Gabriel, C., Lerch, R., Ullrich, F.: Flow-induced input of sound to the interior of a simplified car model depending on various setup parameters. In: AIAA Aeroacoustics Conf. (2013)
- Müller, S., Becker, S., Gabriel, C., Lerch, R., Ullrich, F.: Influence of the flow-induced structure-borne noise on the interior acoustics of a simplified car model, Proceedings of European Conference on Noise Control. (2012).
- Müller, S.: Fluid-Struktur-Akustik-Kopplung bei der Überströmung dünner Platten. Dissertation, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg (2015)
- Murad, N., Naser, J., Alam, F., and Watkins, S.: Computational fluid dynamics study of vehicle A-pillar aero-acoustics, Appl Acoust , Vol. 74, No. 6, pp. 882896, (2013)
- Murata, O., Kokubo, A., Ichinose, K., Kijima, T., Horinouchi, N., Iida, A., and Kato, C.: Measurements of aero-acoustic noise and pressure fluctuation generated by a door-mirror model placed on a flat plate. Jap Soc Mech Eng B, Vol. 71, No. 710, pp. 24712479, (2005)
- Ullrich, F. et al.: Investigations of sunroof buffeting in an idealised generic vehicle model Part I: Experimental results, Proceedings of 14th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 2008-2900, No. 2900, (2008)
- Sch¨afer, F., Müller, S., Uffinger, T., Becker, S., Grabinger, J., and Kaltenbacher, M.: Fluid-Structure-Acoustics Interaction of the Flow Past a Thin Flexible Structure, AIAA, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 738748, (2010)
- Siegert, R., Schwarz, V., and J., R.: Numerical simulation of aeroacoustic sound generated by generic bodies placed on a plate: part II - prediction of radiated sound pressure. Proceedings of 5th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 1999-1895, No. 1895, (1999)
- SAE Special Publication 1465 "Aerodynamic Testing of Road Vehicles in Open Jet Wind Tunnels," (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1999).
- Vadavalli, V., Moreau, S., and Atalla, N.: Statistical properties of pressure loadings and vibroacoustic response of a simplified side glass induced by the flow over generic flow-deflector and side-mirror, Proceedings of 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 2011-2848, No. 2848, (2011)
- Van Herpe, F., Bordji, M., Baresch, D., and Lafon, P., Wavenumber-frequency analysis of the wall pressure fluctuations in the wake of a car side mirror, Proceedings of 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 2011-2936, No. 2936, (2011)
- Van Herpe, F., Duarte, L., and Lafon, P.: Sound vs. pseudo-sound contributions to the wind noise inside a car cabin: A modal approach, Proceedings of 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA 2012-2207, No. 2207, (2012)