This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Chassis Design for AWD Electrified Pick Up Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Developments of new Electric and Hybrid propulsion systems demands chassis adaptations.
The purpose of the XeV project was to develop and integrate a full suite of active chassis systems to deliver a fully electrified All-Wheel-Drive Pick-up truck. To achieve so, a new chassis frame, engine cradles and battery box were designed to bring direct drive from electric motor to wheel. On the other hand, for a four-wheelindependent-drive, a new rear suspension design was implemented, and a complex torque vectoring and traction control strategy was developed to provide optimum on and off road performance.
All systems were tuned to meet the new drivetrain configuration, weight distribution and vehicle loading conditions making it possible to achieve comparable results with respect to the original combustion engine vehicle.
CitationPrado, R., Pedret, P., Moure, C., and Morales-Menendez, R., "Chassis Design for AWD Electrified Pick Up Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1675, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1675.
- Buchholz , K. Electric Wheel Power from Protean Automotive Engineering Magazine Oct. 2010
- Weissler , P. VIA Motors shows Electric Drive System for Retrofit to Trucks, Vans, Suvs Automotive Engineering Magazine Jan. 2012
- Prado , R. and Taylor , M. Comfort Improvement of a Pick Up Truck via Partially Mounted Differential Suspension SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1161 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1161
- Heydinger , G. , Bixel , R. , Garrott , W. , Pyne , M. et al. Measured Vehicle Inertial Parameters-NHTSA’s Data Through November 1998 SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1336 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1336
- Hoehn B.R. , Stahl K. , Gwinner P. , Wiesbeck F. Torque-Vectoring Driveline for Electric Vehicles Proceedings of the FISITA World Automotive Congress 191 585 593 2012
- Graf M. , Lienkamp M. Torque Vectoring Control Design Based on Objective Driving Dynamic Parameters Proc of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress 196 1787 1796 2012
- Shibahata Y. , Tomari T. Direct Yaw Control Torque Vectoring AutoTechnology 6 3 34 38 May 2006
- Ehsani M. , Gao Y. , Gay S. E. , Emadi A. Modern Electric, Hybrid Electric, And Fuel Cell Vehicles: Fundamentals, Theory and Design 2 nd CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group 2010
- Kachroo P. , Tomizuka M. Vehicle Traction Control and Its Applications California Partners for Advanced Transportation Technology UC Berkeley March 1994