This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combination of Front Steering and Differential Braking Control for the Path Tracking of Autonomous Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to improve the robustness and stability of autonomous vehicle at high speed, a path tracking approach which combines front steering and differential braking is investigated in this paper. A bicycle model with 3-DOFs is established and a linear time-varying predictive model using front steering as its control input can be derived. Based on model predictive theory, the path tracking issue using linear time-varying model predictive control can be transformed into an online quadratic programming problem with constraints. The expected front steering angle can be obtained from online moving optimization. Then the direct yawing control is adopted to treat two types of differential braking control. The first one investigates steady-state gain of yaw rate in linear 2-DOFs vehicle model, and designs a stable differential braking controller which is based on reference yaw rate. The other one is based on the research of stable area of side-slip angle phase portrait, and corresponding differential braking control strategy tracking target path is designed. The structures of both differential braking systems are designed to be hierarchical, which consists of an upper level controller and a lower level controller. The upper one determines the desired additional yaw moment that tracking target path and the lower one determines the wheels to brake and the corresponding brake pressure required. The proposed controllers can compensate for tracking deviation and instability caused by the front wheel steering under complicated conditions. Simulation results show that the combined control method can significantly improve path tracking robustness and yaw stability of autonomous vehicle at high speed compared with unique front steering.
CitationZhang, L. and Wu, G., "Combination of Front Steering and Differential Braking Control for the Path Tracking of Autonomous Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1627, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1627.
- Marino , R. , Scalzi , S. , Netto , M. Nested PID steering control for lane keeping in autonomous vehicles Control Engineering Practice 19 12 1459 1467 2011
- Ruan , J. , Li , Y. , Yang F. , Rong X. Path Tracking control of high-speed 4WID-4WIS autonomous vehicle ROBOT 33 4 411 418 2011
- Li , T. , Hu , J. , Gao , L. , Liu , X. et al. Agricultural Machine Path Tracking Method Based on Fuzzy Adaptive Pure Pursuit model Transactions of the Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery 44 1 205 210 2013
- Falcone , P. , Borrelli , F. , Asgari , J. and Tseng H. Predictive Active Steering Control for Autonomous Vehicle Systems Control Systems Technology IEEE Transactions on 15 3 566 580 2007
- Chen H. Model Predictive Control Beijing Beijing Science Press 2013 978-7-03-038143-9
- Li , S. , Wang , J. , Li K. Processing of MPC practical problems and its application to vehicular adaptive cruise control systems Journal of Tsinghua University(Science and Technology 645 648 2010
- Yoon , Y. , Shin , J. , Kim , H. , Park , Y. et al Model-predictive active steering and obstacle avoidance for autonomous ground vehicles 17 7 741 750 2009
- Zong , C. , Chen , G. , Liang , H. , Tian , C. et al Vehicle Chassis Coordination Control Strategy Based on Model Predictive Control Transactions of the Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery 1 7 Fab 2011
- Gong , J. , Jiang , Y. and Xu , W. Model Predictive Control for Self-driving Vehicles Beijing Beijing Institute of Technology Press 2014 978-7-5640-9084-5
- Shibahata , Y. , Shimada , K. and Tomari , T. Improvement of vehicle maneuverability by direct yaw moment control Vehicle System Dynamics 465 481 1993
- Yang , Y. , Qin , X. , Xu , Y. Study of vehicle crosswind stability control based on AFS and DYC Journal of Hunan University(Natural Sciences) 14 19 2014
- Liu L. , Luo Y. , Jiang Q. , Li K. Integrated chassis control with AFS/DYC Based on generalized predictive theory Automotive Engineering 52 56 2011
- Li , G. , Zong , C. , Chen , G. , Hong , W. Integrated AFS/DYC control of Steering-by Wire 4WID Electric Vehicle Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Sciences Edition) 150 155 Mar. 2012
- Falcone , P. , Tufo , M. , Borrelli , F. , Asgari , J. et al. A linear time varying model predictive control approach to the integrated vehicle dynamics control problem in autonomous systems Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2980 2985 2008
- Wu , G. Automotive Theory, Second Edition Beijing China Communication Press 2014 978-7-114-11612-4
- Guo , K. and Ren , L. A Unified Semi-Empirical Tire Model with HigherAccuracy and Less Parameters SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0785 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0785
- Koibuchi , K. , Yamamoto , M. , Fukada , Y. , and Inagaki , S. Vehicle Stability Control in Limit Cornering by Active Brake SAE Technical Paper 960487 1996 10.4271/960487