This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of Blockage Effects on Heavy Trucks in Full Scale Test Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of blockage due to the presence of the wind tunnel walls has been known since the early days of wind tunnel testing. Today there are several blockage correction methods available for correcting the measured aerodynamic drag. Due to the shape of the test object, test conditions and wind tunnel dimensions the effect on the flow may be different for two cab variants. This will result in a difference in the drag delta between so-called open-road conditions and the wind tunnel. This makes it more difficult to evaluate the performance of two different test objects when they are both tested in a wind tunnel and simulated in CFD.
A numerical study where two different cab shapes were compared in both open road condition, and in a digital wind tunnel environment was performed. The main focus of the study was to investigate how the flow field was influenced by the blockage for the different cab shapes, and how different blockage correction methods for ground vehicles would influence the delta between the different test objects.
The constricted flow conditions in the digital wind tunnel increased both the acceleration around the cab corners and influenced the shape and size of the wake structures. When applying blockage corrections on the predicted drag coefficient it was observed that there was a significant spread in the delta value depending on the method utilised. However, cabs of similar shape showed better agreement between the blockage corrected results and open-road conditions.
CitationSoderblom, D., Elofsson, P., and Hyvärinen, A., "Numerical Investigation of Blockage Effects on Heavy Trucks in Full Scale Test Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1607, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1607.
- Cooper , K.R. Closed-Test-Section Wind Tunnel Blockage Corrections for Road Vehicles SAE SP-1176 Warrendale, PA 1996
- Hucho , W.-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles-Fourth Edition Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1998 978-0-7680-0029-0
- Van Ditshuizen , J.C.A. and Ross , R. Aerodynamic and Aeroacoustic Design Aspects Construction 1976-1980, Design Manufacturing Calibration of the German-Dutch Wind tunnel (DNW) DNW Germany 1992
- Glauert , H. Wind tunnel interference on wings, bodies and airscrews Aeronautical Research Council Reports and Memoranda, ARC R&M 1566 UK 1933
- Lock , C.N.H. The interference of a wind tunnel on a symmetrical body Aeronautical Research Council Reports and Memoranda, ARC R&M 1275 UK 1929
- Hackett , J.E. Tunnel induced gradients and their effect on drag AIAA 34th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Reno, NV 1996
- Cooper , K. , Mokry , M. , and Gleason , M. The Two-Variable Boundary-Interference Correction Applied to Automotive Aerodynamic Data SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1204 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1204
- Rae , W.H. and Pope , A. Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing John Wiley & Sons 2 nd USA 1984
- Wickern , G. Recent Literature on Wind Tunnel Test Section Interference Related to Ground Vehicle Testing SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1050 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1050
- Maskell , E.C. A Theory of the Blockage Effects on Bluff Bodies and Stalled Wings in a Closed Wind Tunnel Aeronautical Research Council Reports and Memoranda, ARC R&M 3400 UK 1963
- Willemsen , E. Wind tunnel tests on three full scale tractors with semi-trailer for Scania CV AB DNW internal project report Netherlands 2005
- Hackett , J.E. and Cooper , K.R. Extensions to Maskell’s theory for blockage effects on bluff bodies in a closed wind tunnel The Aeronautical Journal 409 417 August 2001
- Cooper , K. and Mokry , M. An Influence Matrix Method for Determining Boundary Interference on Automotive Models in Solid-Wall Wind Tunnels SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0611 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0611
- Mercker , E. A blockage correction for automotive testing in a wind tunnel with closed test section Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 22 149 167 Netherlands 1986
- Thom , A. Blockage correction in a closed high speed tunnel Aeronautical Research Council Reports and Memoranda, ARC R&M 2033 UK 1943
- Willemsen , E. and Mercker , E. Empirical blockage correction for full-scale automotive testing on straight trucks in a wind tunnel German-Dutch Wind Tunnel DNW, NLR TR 83065 L Netherlands 1983
- Gleason , M. Detailed Analysis of the Bluff Body Blockage Phenomenon in Closed Wall Wind Tunnels Utilizing CFD SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1046 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1046
- Horrigan , K. , Duncan , B. , Sivakumar , P. , Gupta , A. et al. Aerodynamic Simulations of a Class 8 Heavy Truck: Comparison to Wind Tunnel Results and Investigation of Blockage Influences SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4295 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4295
- Heinecke , M. , Beedy , J. , Horrigan , K. , and Sengupta , R. Aerodynamic Study of a Production Tractor Trailer Combination using Simulation and Wind Tunnel Methods SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2040 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2040
- Sengupta , R. , Beedy , J. , and Horrigan , K. Combined Analysis of Cooling Airflow and Aerodynamic Drag for a Class 8 Tractor Trailer Combination SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 4 1 263 274 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2288
- Martini , H. , Gullberg , P. , and Lofdahl , L. Comparative Studies between CFD and Wind Tunnel Measurements of Cooling Performance and External Aerodynamics for a Heavy Truck SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7 2 640 652 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2443
- Succi , S. The Lattice Boltzmann Equation - for Fluid Dynamics and Beyond Clarendon Press 2001
- Fares , E. Unsteady flow simulation of the Ahmed reference body using a lattice Boltzmann approach Computers & Fluid 35 8-9 940 950 2006
- Grün , N. Application of a Lattice-Boltzmann code in automobile and motorcycle aerodynamics In Lecture Series on “Road Vehicle Aerodynamics” Von Karman Institute Belgium 2005
- Camosy , M. , Brown , A. , Kowalczyk , H. and Couthier , G. Advanced Experimental Methods for the Analysis and Aerodynamic Design of Heavy Vehicles The Aerodynamics of Heavy Vehicles II: Trucks Buses and Trains Lake Tahoe, CA 2007
- Söderblom , D. , Elofsson , P. , Hjelm , L. , and Lofdahl , L. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Wheel Housing Aerodynamics on Heavy Trucks SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 1 29 41 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0106
- Elofsson , P. and Mercier , G. Effects of Unsteadiness on Heavy Truck Aerodynamics Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management: Proceedings of the 8th FKFS-Conference Germany 2011
- Leuschen , J. and Cooper , K. Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Production and Prototype, Second-Generation Aerodynamic Drag-Reducing Devices for Tractor-Trailers SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3456 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3456
- Leuschen , J. and Mébarki , Y. Examination of the Maskell III Blockage Correction Technique for Full Scale Testing in the NRC 9-Meter Wind Tunnel SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 2 640 649 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2047