This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigations of the Rear-End Flow Structures on a Sedan Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamic drag, fuel consumption and hence CO2 emissions, of a road vehicle depend strongly on its flow structures and the pressure drag generated. The rear end flow which is an area of complex three-dimensional flow structures, contributes to the wake development and the overall aerodynamic performance of the vehicle.
This paper seeks to provide improved insight into this flow region to better inform future drag reduction strategies. Using experimental and numerical techniques, two vehicle shapes have been studied; a 30% scale model of a Volvo S60 representing a 2003MY vehicle and a full scale 2010MY S60.
First the surface topology of the rear end (rear window and trunk deck) of both configurations is analysed, using paint to visualise the skin friction pattern. By means of critical points, the pattern is characterized and changes are identified studying the location and type of the occurring singularities. The flow field away from the surface is then analysed using PIV measurements and CFD for the scale model and CFD simulations for the full scale vehicle. The flow field is investigated regarding its singular points in cross-planes and the correlation between the patterns for the two geometries is analysed.
Furthermore, it is discussed how the occurring structures can be described in more generalized terms to be able to compare different vehicle geometries regarding their flow field properties.
The results show the extent to which detailed flow structures on similar but distinct vehicles are comparable; as well as providing insight into the complex 3D wake flow.
- Charalampos Kounenis - Durham University
- Sabine Bonitz - Chalmers University of Technology
- Emil Ljungskog - Chalmers University of Technology
- David Sims-Williams - Durham University
- Lennart Lofdahl - Chalmers University of Technology
- Alexander Broniewicz - Volvo Car Corporation
- Lars Larsson - Chalmers University of Technology
- Simone Sebben - Chalmers University of Technology
CitationKounenis, C., Bonitz, S., Ljungskog, E., Sims-Williams, D. et al., "Investigations of the Rear-End Flow Structures on a Sedan Car," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1606, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1606.
- Carr G. W. Influence of rear body shape on the aerodynamic characteristics of saloon cars vol. Report 1974/2 Motor Industry Research Association 1974
- Nouzawa , T. , Haruna , S. , Hiasa , K. , Nakamura , T. et al. Analysis of Wake Pattern for Reducing Aerodynamic Drag of Notchback Model SAE Technical Paper 900318 1990 10.4271/900318
- Nouzawa T. , Hiasa K. , Yoshimoto M. and Haruna S. Influence of Geometry of Rear part on the Aerodynamic Drag and Wake Structure of a Vehicle
- Chometon , F. Simultaneous Use Of Oil-Flow Patterns And Total Pressure Tomographies For A More Complete Understanding Of Flow Structures Around A Car SAE Technical Paper 885137 1988 10.4271/885137
- Jenkins , L. An Experimental Investigation of the Flow Over the Rear End of a Notchback Automobile Configuration SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0489 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0489
- Gilhome , B. , Saunders , J. , and Sheridan , J. Time Averaged and Unsteady Near-Wake Analysis of Cars SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1040 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1040
- Depardon , S. , Lasserre , J. , Brizzi , L. , and Borée , J. ¼ Scale VehicleWake Pattern Analysis using Near-Wall PIV SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1027 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1027
- Gaylard , A. , Howell , J. , and Garry , K. Observation of Flow Asymmetry Over the Rear of Notchback Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0900 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0900
- Sims-Williams , D. , Marwood , D. , and Sprot , A. Links between Notchback Geometry, Aerodynamic Drag, Flow Asymmetry and Unsteady Wake Structure SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 1 156 165 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0166
- Ahmed S. R. Influence of Base Slant on the Wake Structure and Drag of Road Vehicles Journal of Fluids Engineering 105 4 429 1983
- Ahmed S. R. Wake Structure of Typical Automobile Shapes Journal of Fluids Engineering 103 1 162 1981
- Nouzawa , T. , Hiasa , K. , Nakamura , T. , Kawamoto , A. et al. Unsteady-Wake Analysis of the Aerodynamic Drag of a Notchback Model with Critical Afterbody Geometry SAE Technical Paper 920202 1992 10.4271/920202
- Strangfeld , C. , Wieser , D. , Schmidt , H. , Woszidlo , R. et al. Experimental Study of Baseline Flow Characteristics for the Realistic Car Model DrivAer SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1251 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1251
- Wieser , D. , Schmidt , H. , Müller , S. , Strangfeld , C. et al. Experimental Comparison of the Aerodynamic Behavior of Fastback and Notchback DrivAer Models SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7 2 682 691 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0613
- Fuller J. and Passmore M. A. The importance of rear pillar geometry on fastback wake structures Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 125 111 120 2014
- Firoz Alam , Simon Watkins , Gary Zimmer and Clive Humphris Effects of Vehicle A-pillar Shape on Local Mean and Time-Varying Flow Properties 2001
- Chapman G. T. and Yates L. A. Topology of Flow Separation on Three-Dimensional Bodies Applied Mechanics Reviews 44 7 329 1991
- Bonitz , S. , Larsson , L. , Lofdahl , L. , and Broniewicz , A. Structures of Flow Separation on a Passenger Car SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 1 177 185 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1529
- Christoffersen L. M. , Landström C. and Löfdahl L. Investigation of the Cooling and Underbody Flow Field on a Detailed Model Scale Passenger Car: Part 1-Cooling Flows and Reynolds Number Effects 2009 297 304
- Christoffersen L. , Landström C. and Walker T. A Wind Tunnel Study Correlating the Aerodynamic Effect of Cooling Flows for Full and Reduced Scale Models of a Passenger Car
- Christoffersen L. , Löfdahl L. and Jönson A. Interference between Engine Bay Flow and External Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles
- Sims-Williams D. B. and Dominy R. G. The design of an open-jet wind tunnel for model testing
- Sims-Williams D. B. and Dominy R. G. The Design of a New Wind Tunnel for Vehicle Aerodynamics Research 2002
- Sprot A. J. Open-wheel aerodynamics: effects of tyre deformation and internal flow Durham University 2013
- Silfvast W. T. Laser fundamentals 2^nd Cambridge University Press 2008
- Vdovin , A. , Lofdahl , L. , and Sebben , S. Investigation of Wheel Aerodynamic Resistance of Passenger Cars SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7 2 639 645 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0606
- GmbH I. L. A. http://www.ila.de
- Hetherington , B. and Sims-Williams , D. Support Strut Interference Effects on Passenger and Racing Car Wind Tunnel Models SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0565 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0565