This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Relationship between Energy Absorbing Components and Vehicle Crash Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The analysis of the vehicle crash performance is of great meaning in the vehicle design process. Due to the complexity of vehicle structures and uncertainty of crashes, the analysis of vehicle crashworthiness is generally depending on the researchers' experiences. In this paper, different deformation modes of energy absorption components are studied. More specifically, the bumper, crash box, the front longitudinal beam and the engine/firewall have different frequency characteristics in the deformation process. According to these characteristics, it is possible to identify the performance of each component in the crash process of assembled structures. To achieve this goal, the crash response of the passenger cabin is decomposed by the time-frequency transformation. Different frequency components exist mainly in a specified period of the crash process. By comparing the features of each period and structural components, the relationship between the components and the crash responses of vehicle is identified. As an example, a frontal crash of Toyota Yaris at 56km/h is introduced for demonstration. The identified performance of each component is consistent with the real crash test and Finite Element simulation, which shows the effectiveness of the proposed method. Another two cases are also given for further discussion. The main advantage of the proposed scheme is that only the passenger cabin deceleration signal is used and the crash performance of a complex structure can be identified accurately. This is helpful in the vehicle design, crash tests as well as accident analysis.
|Technical Paper||Using Force-Displacement Data to Predict the EBS of Car into Barrier Impacts|
|Technical Paper||Load-Limiters Effect on Occupant Restraint System Performance|
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Side Impact Bar for Crashworthiness|
CitationWei, Z., Karimi, H., and Robbersmyr, K., "Analysis of the Relationship between Energy Absorbing Components and Vehicle Crash Response," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1541, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1541.
- Ferrer , A. and Infantes , E. Load Cell Wall Analysis in Oblique Tests SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1479 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1479
- Kral , J. Yet Another Look At Crash Pulse Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0958 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0958
- Wei , Z. , Karimi , H. R. and Robbersmyr , K. G. A Model of Vehicle-Fixed Barrier Frontal Crash and Its Application in the Estimation of Crash Kinematics presented at Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2015 Sweden June 8-11, 2015
- Pawlus , W. , Robbersmyr , K. G. and Karimi , H. R. Investigation of vehicle crash modeling techniques: theory and application International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 70 5-8 965 993 2014 10.1007/s00170-013-5320-3
- McCusker , J.R. , Danai , K. and Kazmer , D. O. Validation of Dynamic Models in the Time-Scale Domain ASME. J. Dyn. Sys., Meas., Control. 132 6 061402 061402 2010 10.1115/1.4002479
- Karimi , H. R. and Robbersmyr , K. G. Signal analysis and performance evaluation of a vehicle crash test with a fixed safety barrier based on haar wavelets International Journal of Wavelets, Multiresolution and Information Processing 9 01 131 149 2011 10.1142/S0219691311003979
- Onchiş , D. M. , Súarez , S. and Esperanza , M. The Flexible Gabor-Wavelet Transform for Car Crash Signal Analysis Int. J. Wavelets Multiresolut Inf. Process. 07 04 481 2009 10.1142/S0219691309003045
- Huang , N. E. , Shen , Z. , Long , S. R. , Wu , M. C. , Shih , H. H. , Zheng , Q. , Yen , N. C. , Tung , C. C. , and Liu , H. H. The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 454 1971 903 995 1998
- Huang , N. E. , and Wu , Z. A Review on Hilbert-Huang Transform: Method and Its Applications to Geophysical Studies Reviews of Geophysics 46 2 2008 10.1029/2007RG000228
- Daubechies , I. , Lu , J. , Wu , H.T. Synchrosqueezed Wavelet Transforms: An Empirical Mode Decomposition-like Tool Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis 30 2 243 261 2011 10.1016/j.acha.2010.08.002
- Wu , Z. , and Huang , N. E. Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition: A Noise-assisted Data Analysis Method Advances in Adaptive Data Analysis 1 1 1 41 2009 10.1142/S1793536909000047
- Wu , S. and Saha , N. Some Challenges to Crashworthiness Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0669 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0669