This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Belted Driver Injury in Near-Side and Far-Side Impacts, Past and Present
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
NASS/CDS data (1993-2013) was used to examine serious injury rates and injury sources for belted drivers in near- and far-side impacts. Frequency and severity of near- and far-side impacts by crash severity (delta-V) were compared for older (1994-2007 MY) and newer (2008-2013 MY) vehicles. For 2008-2013 MY, individual cases were examined for serious thorax injury in far-side impacts. Results show that, for newer passenger cars, about 92% of side impacts have a delta-V under 15 mph and, for older cars, the percentage is about 86%. The rate of serious injury is higher for nearside compared to far-side crashes for both older and newer models, and the near-side injury rate is much lower for newer models. Safety features, including side airbags, are effective in reducing injuries to near-side belted drivers in newer models. The serious injury rate for near-side belted drivers in older cars is 5.5% for near-side crashes and 1.2% for far-side crashes. For newer models, the serious injury rate for belted drivers is 2.5% near-side and 0.5% far-side. Examination of serious injuries by body region shows that, for newer cars, thorax injuries are a significant portion of serious injuries in both near-side and far-side impacts. Results also show that the presence of a belted right front passenger decreases the serious injury rate to a belted driver by 16% in near-side impacts and 37% in far-side impacts. Detailed NASS/CIREN case review suggests that thorax injuries in far-side impacts are a concern and need to be addressed in the future.
CitationChudnovsky, Y., Stocks-Smith, J., Padmanaban, J., and Marsh, J., "Belted Driver Injury in Near-Side and Far-Side Impacts, Past and Present," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1530, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1530.
- Riley , B.S. and Radley , C.P. Traffic Accidents to Cars with Directions of Impact from the Front and Side 6th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles NHTSA 563 573 1976
- Partyka , S. and Rezabek , S. Occupant Injury Patterns In Side Impacts - a Coordinated Industry/Government Accident Data Analysis SAE Technical Paper 830459 1983 10.4271/830459
- Fildes , B.N. , Lane , J.C. , Lenard , J. , and Vulcan , A.P. Passenger Cars and Occupant Injury Monash University Accident Research Centre April 1994
- Frampton , R.J. , Brown , R. , Thomas , P. , and Fay , P. The Importance of Non Struck Side Occupants in Side Collisions 42nd Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 303 320 1998
- Digges , K. and Dalmotas , D. Injuries to Restrained Occupants in Far-Side Crashes The 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Amsterdam, The Netherlands June 4-7, 2001
- Augenstein , J. , Bowen , J. , Perdeck , E. , Singer , M. et al. Injury Patterns in Near-Side Collisions SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0634 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0634
- Digges , K. , Gabler , H. , Mohan , P. and Alonso , B. Characteristics of the Injury Environment in Far-Side Crashes 49th Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 185 197 2005
- Kahane , C. J. NHTSA Technical Report: An Evaluation of Side Impact Protection, FMVSS 214 TTI(d) Improvements and Side Air Bags U.S. Department of Transportation, NHTSA, DOT HS 810 748 January 2007
- Yoganandan , N. , Arun , M.W. , Halloway , D.E. , Pintar , F.A. , Maiman , D.J. , Szabo , A. , and Rudd , R.W. Crash Characteristics and Injury Patterns of Restrained Front Seat Occupants in Far-side Impacts Traffic Injury Prevention 15 S27 S34 2014 10.1080/15389588.2014.935771
- Gabler , H. , Digges , K. , Fildes , B. , and Sparke , L. Side Impact Injury Risk for Belted Far Side Passenger Vehicle Occupants SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0287 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0287
- Augenstein , J. , Perdeck , E. , Martin , P. , Bowen , J. , Stratton , J. , Horton , T. , Singer , M. , Digges , K. and Steps , J. Injuries to Restrained Occupants in Far-Side Crashes 44th Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 57 66 2000
- Bostrom , O. , Digges , K. and Hampton , H. Injury Reduction Opportunities of far Side Impact Countermeasures 52nd Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 289 300 2008
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety ESC and side airbag availability by make and model Percent driver side airbag availability by protection area October 15 2015 http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/safety-features
- Newland , C. , Belcher , T. , Bostrom , O. , Gabler , H.C. , Cha , J.G. , Wong , H.L. Tylko , S. , and Dal Nevo , R. Occupant-to-Occupant Interaction and Impact Injury Risk in Side Impact Crashes Stapp Car Crash Journal 52 327 347 November 2008
- Kahane , C.J. Effectiveness of Pretensioners and Load Limiters for Enhancing Fatality Reduction by Seat Belt Report No. DOT HS 811 835 Washington, DC National Highway Traffic Safety Administration November 2013
- Acierno , S. , Kaufman , T. , Rivara , F.P. , Grossman , D.C. , and Mock , C. Vehicle Mismatch: Injury Patterns and Severity Accident Analysis and Prevention 36 761 772 2004 10.1016/j.aap.2003.07.001