This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Low Illuminance Road Lighting Condition Using Road Temporal Profile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pedestrian Automatic Emergency Braking (PAEB) for helping avoiding/mitigating pedestrian crashes has been equipped on some passenger vehicles. Since approximately 70% pedestrian crashes occur in dark conditions, one of the important components in the PAEB evaluation is the development of standard testing at night. The test facility should include representative low-illuminance environment to enable the examination of the sensing and control functions of different PAEB systems. The goal of this research is to characterize and model light source distributions and variations in the low-illuminance environment and determine possible ways to reconstruct such an environment for PAEB evaluation. This paper describes a general method to collect light sources and illuminance information by processing large amount of potential collision locations at night from naturalistic driving video data. This study was conducted in four steps. (1) Gather night driving video collected from Transportation Active Safety Institute (TASI) 110 car naturalistic driving study, particularly emphasizing locations with potential pedestrian collision. (2) Generate temporal video profile as a compact index toward large volumes of video, (3) Identify light fixtures by removing dynamic vehicle head lighting in the profile and stamp them with their Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinates. (4) Find the average distribution and intensity of illuminants by grouping lighting component information around the potential collision locations. The resulting lighting model and setting can be used for lighting reconstruction at PAEB testing site.
CitationDong, L., Chien, S., Zheng, J., Chen, Y. et al., "Modeling of Low Illuminance Road Lighting Condition Using Road Temporal Profile," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1454, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1454.
- Daimler PRE-SAFE Brake: The Anticipatory Brake 2015 12 July 2015
- Carpenter , M. Feldmann M. , Fornari T. , Moury M. , Todd W. , Christopher D. , Zwicky T. , and Kiger S. Objective tests for automatic crash imminent braking (CIB) systems NHTSA, Farmington Hills, MI, Report September 2011
- Takahashi H. , Yuasa H. , Saimura K. , Nakanishi M. Research on illuminance environment at nighttime for pedestrian pre-crash safety system FISITA 2014 World Automotive Congress 2-6 June 2014
- Renran T. , Lingxi L. , Kai Y. , Chien S. , Yaobin C. , and Sherony R. Estimation of the vehicle-pedestrian encounter/conflict risk on the road based on TASI 110-car naturalistic driving data collection 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium(IV) 8 11 June 2014 623 629
- Yi , Q. , Chien , S. , Good , D. , Chen , Y. et al. Development of a Lighting System for Pedestrian Pre-Collision System Testing under Dark Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0819 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0819
- I. E. Society I. E. S. of North America A. N. Institute S. Committee I. R. L. Roadway Lighting (ANSI/IES RP-8-14), ser. IESNA recommended practice Illuminating Engineering Society of North America 2014 https://books.google.com/books?id=j5L1sgEACAAJ
- Engel K. Real-time volume graphics 1st Natick, Massachusetts A. K. Peters 2006
- Mehmet K. and Zheng J. Visualizing driving video in temporal profile Proceedings of 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 8-11 June 2014 Dearborn, MI 1263 1269
- Bolles R. , Baker H. , and Marimoto D. Epipolar-plane image analysis: an approach to determine structure from motion International Journal of Computer Vision 1 1 Berlin, Heidelberg Kluwer Academic Publishers March 1987 7 55
- Zheng J. Y. , and Tsuji S. Panoramic representation for route recognition by a mobile robot International Journal of Computer Vision 9 1 Berlin, Heidelberg 55 76
- Peleg S. , Herman J. Panorama mosaics by manifold projection Proceedings of 1997 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 17-19 Jun 1997 338 343
- Zheng J. Y. , Tsuji S. Generating dynamic projection images for scene representation and understanding Computer Vison and Image Understanding 72 3 Waltham, Massachusetts Academic Press Inc December 1998 237 256
- Yang K. , Du E. , Delp. E. , Jiang P. , Jiang F. , Chen Y. , Sherony , R. Takahashi H. An extreme learning machine-based pedestrian detection method 2013 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) Gold Coast QLD 23-26 June 2013 1404 1409
- Bhati A. Partition based Hough transformation for real time road lane detection International Journal of Electronics and Computer Science Engineering 2 4 1117 1122 1997
- Shi Y. , Eberhart R.C. Parameter selection in particle swarm optimization Evolutionary Programming VII 1 7-55 Berlin, Germany Springer Berlin Heidelberg 1997 591 600