This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Meshing Considerations for Automotive Shape Design Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High quality mesh generation technology coupled with a robust shape deformation technique enables large design space exploration for optimization without the need to remesh the geometry. To demonstrate this, we present a collection of best practices for cleaning complex analytic CAD data that together with a robust grid generation algorithm enable the automatic generation of high quality boundary layer resolved grids that retain their quality when morphed during the optimization process.
The case study for this work is the DrivAer model developed by the Institute of Aerodynamics and Fluid Mechanics at the Technische Universität München.
The first step in the proposed automated optimization framework is to use a technique called Solid Meshing to heal faults in the provided geometry and recover its original engineering intent. The aforementioned technique coupled with Pointwise’s anisotropic tetrahedral extrusion algorithm (T-Rex), enables automated, high quality volumetric grid generation.
A technology called Arbitrary Shape Deformation (ASD) is then used to smoothly morph the DrivAer volume grid using a small set of shape change parameters. The robustness of this morphing technology enables the achievement of large grid deformations while maintaining cell quality and surface boundary layer thickness and orientation.
As mentioned, the proposed design optimization framework eliminates the need to regenerate the grid after every volumetric deformation. This, in turn, minimizes the effect of changes to the characteristics of the grid on the simulation results.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Identification of Distributed Damping Matrices Part 1: Analytical Case Studies|
|Technical Paper||Draw Bead Penetration as a Control Element of Material Flow|
CitationCarrigan, T., Landon, M., and Pita, C., "Meshing Considerations for Automotive Shape Design Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1389, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1389.
- Carrigan , T. J. , Dennis , B. H. , Han , Z. X. , and Wang , B. P. Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of a Vertical-Axis Wind Turbine Using Differential Evolution ISRN Renewable Energy 2012 16 2012 10.5402/2012/528418
- Rhoads , J. , Carrigan , T. J. How Grid Quality Affects Solution Accuracy Presentation, 9th Annual OpenFOAM Workshop
- Katz , A. , Sankaran , V. High aspect ratio grid effects on the accuracy of Navier-Stokes solutions on unstructured meshes Sixth International Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, Computers & Fluids 65 66 79 30 July 2012
- Katz , A. , Sankaran , V. Mesh quality effects on the accuracy of CFD solutions on unstructured meshes Journal of Computational Physics 230 20 7670 7686 20 August 2011
- Batdorf , M. , Freitag , L. , and Ollivier-Gooch , C. Computational study of the effect of unstructured mesh quality on solution efficiency 13th Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA 1997
- Diskin , B. , Thomas , J. L. Effects of Mesh Irregularities on Accuracy of Finite-Volume Discretization Schemes 50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Paper 2012-0609 9-12 January 2012 Nashville, TN
- Anderson , W. and Bonhaus , D. Aerodynamic design on unstructured grids for turbulent flows Tech. Rep. 112867 National Aeronautics and Space Administration Langley Research Center Hampton, Va, USA 1997
- Anderson , W. and Venkatakrishnan , V. Aerodynamic Design Optimization on Unstructured Grids with a Continuous Adjoint Formulation AIAA Paper No. 97-0643 1997
- Elliott , J. and Peraire , J. Practical three-dimensional aerodynamic design and optimization using unstructured meshes AIAA Journal 35 9 1479 1485 1997
- Giles , M. Aerodynamic design optimisation for complex geometries using unstructured grids Tech. Rep. 97/08 Oxford University Computing Laboratory Numerical Analysis Group Oxford, UK 2000
- Nielsen , E. J. and Anderson , W. K. Aerodynamic design optimization on unstructured meshes using the Navier-Stokes equations AIAA Journal 1998
- Singh , R. Automated Aerodynamic Design Optimization Process for Automotive Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0993 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0993
- Staten , M. L. , Owen , S. J. , Shontz , S. M. , Salinger , A. G. et al. A Comparison of Mesh Morphing Methods for 3D Shape Optimization 20th International Meshing Roundtable Springer-Verlag 293 310 October 23-26 2011
- Heft , A. , Indinger , T. , and Adams , N. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the DrivAer Model ASME 2012 July 8-12, 2012 Puerto Rico, USA
- Eccles , N. C. , Steinbrenner , J. P. , and Abelanet , J.P. Solid Modeling and Fault Tolerant Meshing - Two Complementary Strategies AIAA 17th CFD Conference Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Carrigan , T. Quilting Can Make Meshing Easier The Connector Pointwise May June 2012
- Steinbrenner , J. P. and Abelanet , J.P. Anisotropic Tetrahedral Meshing Based on Surface Deformation Techniques AIAA 45th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, NV
- Steinbrenner , John and Wyman , Nick Solution Independent Metrics Mesh Quality/Resolution Practice, Current Re-search, and Future Directions Symposium, PETTT Program, DoD Dayton, OH 2011
- Steinbrenner , J. P. Construction of Prism and Hex Layers from Anisotropic Tetrahedra 22nd AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference June 2015
- Steinbrenner , John , Wyman , Nick , and Chawner , John Development and Implementation of Gridgen’s Hyperbolic PDE and Extrusion Methods AIAA 38th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Reno, NV 2000
- Spalart , P. and Allmaras , S. A one-equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows Proceedings of the 30th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Reno, Nev, USA 1992 92 0439
- Launder B.E. and Spalding D.B. The numerical computation of turbulent flows Computational Methods Appl. Mech. Eng. 3 269 289 1974
- Perry , P. , Balling , R. , and Landon , M.D. A new morphing method for shape optimization 7th AIAA/USAF/NASA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization
- Smith , J. D. , Rao , V. , and Landon , M. Advanced Design Optimization of Combustion Equipment for BioEnergy Systems Using Sculptor ® with CFD Tools AFRC 2013: Safe and Responsible Development for the 21st Century Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii September 22-25, 2013