This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Gasoline Engine Connecting Rod Buckling Load and Post Buckling Deformation Prediction through CAE for Lightweight Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Super-knocking event generates high pressure pulse in gasoline engine, the predominant failure mode in these cases is connecting rod buckling. Two major factors which affects the bucking strength of connecting rod are shank dimensions and load offset in crankpin axis. There are standard methods available for calculating buckling strength of connecting rod such as Johnson’s buckling equation, Eigenvalue method, Merchant-Rankine formula etc. Each of these methods have pros and cons. But no method caters to all the considerations accurately such as section variation in shank, load offsets, local material plasticity and geometric nonlinearity as in bending preceded by buckling. In present paper, a new methodology is developed using FEA to evaluate the connecting rod buckling strength and post buckling deformation. Comparison with eigenvalue method and theoretical results are presented. Study related to buckling load sensitivity for load offset is also presented.
|Aerospace Standard||HELICOPTER ENGINE MOUNTING|
|Technical Paper||Million Mile Bearings: Lessons From Diesel Engine Bearing Failure Analysis|
|Technical Paper||An Exploration of Failure Modes in Rolled, Ductile, Cast-Iron Crankshafts Using a Resonant Bending Testing Rig|
CitationYadav, V., Karthikeyan, K., Shaikh, W., Dacharum, G. et al., "Gasoline Engine Connecting Rod Buckling Load and Post Buckling Deformation Prediction through CAE for Lightweight Design," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1343, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1343.
- Inoue, T., Inoue, Y., and Ishikawa, M., "Abnormal Combustion in a Highly Boosted SI Engine - The Occurrence of Super Knock," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1141, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1141.
- Anderson, A. and Yukioka, M., "Connecting Rod Buckling Analysis Using Eigenvalue and Explicit Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0102, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-32-0102.
- Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp. Abaqus 6.14, Analysis User's Manual, USA, 2015.
- Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp. Abaqus 6.14, Abaqus Theory Manual, USA, 2015.
- Shenoy P S, Fatemi A," Dynamic analysis of loads and stresses in connecting rods," Proc. IMechE Vol. 220 Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2006, doi:10.1243/09544062JMES105.