This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Method for Body Joint Stiffness Evaluation and Target Setting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The body joint stiffness plays an important role in achieving vehicle attribute targets. One of the major drawbacks of joint stiffness evaluation is the lack of a rigorous criterion to assess whether the stiffness is proper for a body structure. This paper presents a general joint stiffness metric based on Hooke's law to better evaluate the stiffness of a body joint. A strategy for target setting of body joint stiffness was developed for vehicle body design. Finally, a vehicle body example was presented to demonstrate the proposed methodology.
CitationShi, L., Yi, P., and Zhang, Z., "A Method for Body Joint Stiffness Evaluation and Target Setting," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1330, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1330.
- Aizawa , N. , Cox , J. , Motoyama , K. , and Yamazaki , I. New Technique for Optimizing Member Cross-Sections in Car Bodies to Reduce Noise and Weight SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0772 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0772
- Kuo , E. , Mehta , P. , Prater , G. , and Shahhosseini , A. Reliability and Quality of Body Concept CAE Models for Design Direction Studies SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1617 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1617
- Spencer , C. , Vartanian , K. , White , M. , and Law , S. Light Truck Frame Joint Stiffness Study SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0241 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0241
- Singh , K. and Osuagwu , K. Body Structure Joint Optimization: A Cost Driven Approach SAE Technical Paper 982280 1998 10.4271/982280
- Nishigaki , H. , Nishiwaki , S. , Amago , T. , Kojima , Y. et al. First Order Analysis - New CAE Tools for Automotive Body Designers SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0768 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0768
- Yang , R.J. , Wang , N. , Tho , C.H. , Bobineau , J.P. , and Wang , B.P. Metamodeling Development for Vehicle Frontal Impact Simulation ASME J. Mech. Des. 2005 127 5 1014 1020
- Kim , C. , and Choi , K.K. Reliability-based Design Optimization Using Response Surface Method with Prediction Interval Estimation ASME J. Mech. Des. 2008 130 12 121401
- Fang , H. , Rais-Rohani , M. , Liu , Z. , and Horstemeyer , M.F. A Comparative Study of Metamodeling Methods for Multiobjective Crashworthiness Optimization Comput. Struct. 83 25026 2121 2136
- Shi , L. , Yang , R.J. , and Zhu , P. A Method for Selecting Surrogate Models in Crashworthiness Optimization Struct. Multidiscip. Optim. 2012 46 2 159 170
- Deb , K. et al. A Fast and Elitist Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm: NSGA-II IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 2002 6 182 197