This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Battery/Supercapacitor Hybrid Energy Management System for Electric Vehicles Based on a Power Sharing Strategy Using Terrain Information
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since road electric vehicles typically require a significantly variable and random load power demand in response to traffic conditions, such as frequent sequences of acceleration and deceleration and uphill followed by downhill runs. In this context, the energy management system of electric vehicle must ensure an effective power distribution between battery and supercapacitor to satisfy load demand. In this paper, the power management control strategy of hybrid energy storage system is developed by introducing terrain information to optimize system efficiency and battery lifetime. In this presented research, we aim at developing a power management control strategy considering the influence of the terrain information on system efficiency and battery lifetime. In order to avoid rapid changes of power demand and achieve high efficiency without degrading the mechanism performance, a Haar wavelet transform algorithm is proposed to decompose different frequencies components of the load power demand. In addition, the dynamic relationships are also established between the desired supercapacitor voltage and vehicle velocity and terrain to guide the power distribution. Finally, the hybrid system models are developed using MATLAB/Simulink simulation software and validated using experiment data. Simulation results have shown that the proposed control strategy is valid and effective in improving system efficiency and battery lifetime.
CitationQiao, Z., Deng, W., Wu, J., Ju, F. et al., "Development of Battery/Supercapacitor Hybrid Energy Management System for Electric Vehicles Based on a Power Sharing Strategy Using Terrain Information," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1242, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1242.
- Feng Ju, Junwen Wang, Li Jing shan, Xiao Guo xian and Stephan Biller, “Virtual Battery: A Battery Simulation Framework for Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on automation science and engineering, vol. 10, no. 1, pp.5-14, 2013.
- Thounthong P., Davat B., and Rael S., “Drive friendly,’’ IEEE Power Energy Mag., vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 25-37, 2009.
- Pay S. and Baghzouz Y., “Effectiveness of Battery-Supercapacitor Combination in Electric Vehicles,” in Proceedings of IEEE Power Tech Conference, vol. 3, pp. 6-11, Bologna, Italy, 2003.
- Schupbach R. M., Balda J. C., “The role of ultracapacitors in an energy storage unit for vehicle power management”, in Proc. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf., Orlando, FL, 2003, pp. 3236-3240.
- Dougal R.A., Liu S. and White R.E., “Power and Life Exatension of Battery-Ultracapacitor Hybrids,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 120-131, 2002.
- He H., Xiong R. and Chang Y., “Dynamic Modeling and Simulation on a Hybrid Power System for Electric Vehicle Applications,” Energies,vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 1821-1830, 2010.
- Onar O.C. and Khaligh A., “A Novel Integrated Magnetic Structure Based DC/DC Converter for Hybrid Battery/Ultracapacitor Energy Storage Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 296-307, 2012.
- Ciccarelli F., Clemente G. and Iannuzzi D., “Energy Storage Management Control Based on Supercapacitors Using a Modular Multilevel Inverter Topology for Electrical Vehicles,” International Conference on Clean Electrical Power, pp. 170-176, 2013.
- Choi M., Kim S. and Seo S., “Energy Management Optimization in a Battery/Supercapacitor Hybrid Energy Storage System,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 463-472, 2012.
- Amir Poursamad, Morteza Montazeri, “Design of genetic-fuzzy control strategy for parallel hybrid electric vehicles,” Control Engineering Practice 16 (2008) 861-873.
- Baisden A.C. and Emadi A., “ADVISOR-Based Model of a Battery and and Ultra-Capacitor Energy Source for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 199-205, 2004.
- Choi M. and Seo S., “Robust Energy Management of a Battery/Supercapacitor Hybrid Energy Storage System in an Electric Vehicle,” IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference, pp. 1-5, 2012.
- Buller S., Thele M., De Doncker R.W.A.A. and Karden E., “Impedance-Based Simulation Models of Supercapacitors and Li-Ion Batteries for Power Electronic Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 742-747, 2005.
- Ayad M.Y., BecherifM., Paire D., Djerdir A., Miraoui A, “Passivity-Based Control of Hybrid Power Sources using Fuel Cell, Supercapacitors, and Batteries on the DC link for Energy Traction System,” IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference, IEMDC '07. Volume 1, 3-5 May 2007 Page(s):453 - 458.
- Johnson, V., Wipke, K., and Rausen, D., "HEV Control Strategy for Real-Time Optimization of Fuel Economy and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1543, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1543.
- KleimaierA., SchroderD.S, “Design and Control of a Hybrid Vehicle by Optimal Control Theory,” Proc. of IPEC-Tokyo 2000, pages 2186-2191.
- Moreno J., Ortuzar M.E. and Dixon J.W., “Energy-Management System for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle, Using Ultracapacitors and Neural Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 614-623, 2006.
- Li S. G., Sharkh S. M., Walsh F. C., and Zhang C. N., “Energy and Battery Management of a Plug-In Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle Using Fuzzy Logic, ” IEEE Transactions on vehicular technology, vol.60,no.80, pp. 3571-3585, 2011.
- Xi Zhang, Mi Chris Chunting, Masrur Abul and Daniszewski David, “Wavelet-transform-based power management of hybrid vehicles with multiple on-board energy sources including fuel cell, battery and ultracapacitor, ” Journal of Power Sources 185 (2008) 1533-1543.
- Erdinc O., Vural B., Uzunoglu M., “A wavelet-fuzzy logic based energy management strategy for a fuel cell/battery/ultra-capacitor hybrid vehicular power system, ” Journal of Power Sources 194 (2009) 369-380.
- Laldin O., Moshirvaziri M. and Trescases O., “Predictive Algorithm for Optimizing Power Flow in Hybrid Ultracapacitor/Battery Storage Systems for Light Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 3882-3895, 2013.
- Hredzak B., Agelidis V.G. and Jang M., “A Model Predictive Control System for a Hybrid Battery-Ultracapacitor Power Source,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 1469-1479, 2014.
- Ferreira A.A., Pomilio J.A., Spiazzi G., de Araujo Silva L., “Energy Management Fuzzy Logic Supervisory for Electric Vehicle Power Supplies System, ” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Volume 23, Issue 1, Jan. 2008 Page(s):107 - 115.
- Erik Hellstrom, Maria Ivarsson, Jan Aslund,Lars Nielsen, “Look-ahead control for heavy trucks to minimize trip time and fuel consumption,” Control Engineering Practice,17 (2009) 245254.
- Huang W., Bevly D. M., Li X., and Schnick S., “road geometry based optimal truck fuel economy,” in Proc. ASME Int. Mech. Eng.Congr.Expo,2007, 41 695.
- Johannesson L., sbogrd M., and Egardt B., “Assessing the potential of predictive control for hybrid vehicle power trains using stochastic dynamic programming,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. Intell. Transp. Syst,2005, pp.366371.
- Zhang C., Vahidi A., Pisu P., Li X., and Tennant K., “Role of terrain preview in energy management of hybrid electric vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 11391147, Mar. 2010.
- Chengtao Lin, Chou Bin, Quanshi Chen, “Performance Comparison of battery power input equivalent circuit model for EVs, ” Chinese Automotive Engineering, Volume 28, Issue 3, 2006 Page(s):230 - 234.
- Spyker RL, Nelms RM, “Analysis of double-layer capacitors supplying constant power loads,” IEEE Trans Aerosp Electron Syst 2000,36(4):143943.
- Mao Peilin L. and Aggarwal Raj K., “A Novel Approach to the Classification of the Transient Phenomena in Power Transformers Using Combined Wavelet Transform and Neural Network,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 654-660, 2001.
- Zhang, Q., Deng, W., and Wu, J., "Power-Balance and Wavelet-Transform Based Power Management of Battery-Supercapacitor Hybrid System for Electric Vehicles," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 8(1):186-194, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0253.
- Chan C. and Chau K., “Modern Electric Vehicle Technology,” vol. 47, Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Per Sahlholm, Johansson Karl Henrik, “Road grade estimation for look-ahead vehicle control using multiple measure runs,” Control Engineering Practice 18(2010) 1328-1341.