This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Management of Power Batteries for Electric Vehicles Using Phase Change Materials: A Review
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As one of the most crucial components in electric vehicles, power batteries generate abundant heat during charging and discharging processes. Thermal management system (TMS), which is designed to keep the battery cells within an optimum temperature range and to maintain an even temperature distribution from cell to cell, is vital for the high efficiency, long calendar life and reliable safety of these power batteries. With the desirable features of low system complexity, light weight, high energy efficiency and good battery thermal uniformity, thermal management using composite phase change materials (PCMs) has drawn great attention in the past fifteen years. In the hope of supplying helpful guidelines for the design of the PCM-based TMSs, this work begins with the summarization of the most commonly applied heat transfer enhancement methods (i.e., the use of thermally conductive particles, metal fin, expanded graphite matrix and metal foam) for PCMs by different researchers. Newly developed TMS configurations such as the multi-layer PCMs and sandwiched ones are also discussed in detail. In addition, the hybrid TMS combining PCM cooling with air or liquid cooling, and battery heating by these PCM-based TMSs under cold environment are also summarized. Based on the analysis of previous studies, several possible research topics on PCM cooling are finally proposed in the conclusion/summary part.
CitationPan, D., Xu, S., Lin, C., and Chang, G., "Thermal Management of Power Batteries for Electric Vehicles Using Phase Change Materials: A Review," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1204, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1204.
- Choi, H. and Oh, I., “Analysis of product efficiency of hybrid vehicles and promotionpolicies,” Energy Policy, Vol.38(5), pp.2262-2271, 2010.
- Amjad, S., Neelakrishnan, S. and Rudramoorthy, R., “Review of design considerationsand technological challenges for successful development and deployment ofplug-in hybrid electric vehicles,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol.14(3), pp.1104-1110,2010.
- Jarrett, A. and Kim, I.Y., “Design optimization of electric vehicle battery cooling plates for thermal performance,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.196, pp.10359-10368, 2011.
- Kizilel, R., Lateef, A., Sabbah, R., and Farid, M.M., “Passive control of temperature excursion and uniformity in high-energy Li-ion battery packs at high current and ambient temperature,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.183(1), pp.370-375, 2008.
- Ling, Z., Zhang, Z., Shi, G., Fang, X. et al., “Review on thermal management systems using phase change materials for electronic components, Li-ion batteries and photovoltaic modules,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol.31(2), pp.427-438, 2014.
- Pesaran, A.A., “Battery Thermal Management in EV and HEVs: Issues and Solutions,” Battery Man, Vol.43(5), pp.34-49, 2001.
- Zolot, M., Pesaran, A., and Mihalic, M., "Thermal Evaluation of Toyota Prius Battery Pack," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1962, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1962.
- Kelly, K.J., Mihalic, M. and Zolot, M., “Battery Usage And Thermal Performance Of The Toyota Prius And Honda Insight During Chassis Dynamometer Testing,” Battery Conference on Applications & Advances, pp.247 - 252, 2002.
- Rao, Z. and Wang, S., “A review of power battery thermal energy management,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol.15(9), pp.4554-4571, 2011.
- Al-Hallaj, S. and Selman, J.R., “A novel thermal management system for electric vehicle batteries using phase-change material,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol.147(9), pp.3231-3236, 2000.
- Frusteri, F., Leonardi, V., Vasta, S. and Restuccia, G., “Thermal conductivity measurement of a PCM based storage system containing carbon fibers,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.25(11), pp.1623-1633, 2005.
- Babapoor, A., Azizi, M. and Karimi, G., “Thermal management of a Li-ion battery using carbon fiber-PCM composites,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.82, pp.281-290, 2015.
- Nakaso, K., Teshima, H., Yoshimura, A., Nogami, S. et al., “Extension of heat transfer area using carbon fiber cloths in latent heat thermal energy storage tanks,” Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, Vol.47(5), pp.879-885, 2008.
- Goli, P., Legedza, S., Dhar, A., Salgado, R. et al., “Grapheneenhanced hybrid phase change materials for thermal management of Li-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.248, pp.37-43, 2014.
- Zeng, J., Cao, Z., Yang, D., Sun, L. et al., “Thermal conductivity enhancement of Ag nanowires on an organic phase change material,” Journal of thermal analysis and calorimetry, Vol.101(1), pp.385-389, 2010.
- Darkwa, J. and Zhou, T., “Enhanced laminated composite phase change material for energy storage,” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.52(2), pp.810-815, 2011.
- Karaipekli, A., Sari, A. and Kaygusuz, K., “Thermal conductivity improvement of stearic acid using expanded graphite and carbon fiber for energy storage applications,” Renewable Energy, Vol.32(13), pp.2201-2210, 2007.
- Sari, A. and Karaipekli, A., “Thermal conductivity and latent heat thermal energy storage characteristics of paraffin/expanded graphite composite as phase change material,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.27(8), pp.1271-1277, 2007.
- Nayak, K.C., Saha, S.K., Srinivasan, K. and Dutta, P., “A numerical model for heat sinks with phase change materials and thermal conductivity enhancers,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.49(11), pp.1833-1844, 2006.
- Mahmoud, S., Tang, A., Toh, C., Raya, A.D. et al., “Experimental investigation of inserts configurations and PCM type on the thermal performance of PCM based heat sinks,” Applied Energy, Vol.112, pp.1349-1356, 2013.
- Baby, R. and Balaji, C., “Thermal management of electronics using phase change material based pin fin heat sinks,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series. IOP Publishing, Vol.395(1), pp.012134, 2012.
- Krishnan, S., Garimella, S.V. and Kang, S.S., “A novel hybrid heat sink using phase change materials for transient thermal management of electronics,” Components and Packaging Technologies, IEEE Transactions on, Vol.28(2), pp.281-289, 2005.
- Yoo, D. and Joshi, Y.K., “Energy efficient thermal management of electronic components using solid-liquid phase change materials,” Device and Materials Reliability, IEEE Transactions on, Vol.4(4), pp.641-649, 2004.
- Xiao, X., Zhang, P. and Li, M., “Effective thermal conductivity of open-cell metal foams impregnated with pure paraffin for latent heat storage,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol.81, pp. 94-105, 2014.
- Siahpush, A., O’Brien, J. and Crepeau, J., “Phase Change Heat Transfer Enhancement Using Copper Porous Foam,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol.130(8), pp.318-323, 2008.
- Zhou, D. and Zhao, C., “Experimental investigations on heat transfer in phase change materials (PCMs) embedded in porous materials,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.31(5), pp.970-977, 2011.
- Xiao, X., Zhang, P. and Li, M., “Preparation and thermal characterization of paraffin/metal foam composite phase change material,” Applied Energy, Vol.112(4), pp.1357-1366, 2013.
- Khateeb, S.A., Amiruddin, S., Farid, M. and Al-Hallaj, S. “Thermal management of Li-ion battery with phase change material for electric scooters: experimental validation,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.142(1), pp.345-353, 2005.
- Li, W., Qu, Z., He, Y. and Tao, Y.B., “Experimental study of a passive thermal management system for high-powered lithium ion batteries using porous metal foam saturated with phase change materials,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.255, pp.9-15, 2014.
- Zhang, Z., Zhang, N., Peng, J., Fang, X. et al., “Preparation and thermal energy storage properties of paraffin/expanded graphite composite phase change material,” Applied Energy, Vol.91(1), pp.426-431, 2012.
- Mills, A., Farid, M., Selman, J.R. and Al-Hallaj, S., “Thermal conductivity enhancement of phase change materials using a graphite matrix,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.26(14), pp.1652-1661, 2006.
- Mills, A. and Al-Hallaj, S., “Simulation of passive thermal management system for lithium-ion battery packs,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.141(2), pp.307-315, 2005.
- Alrashdan, A., Mayyas, A.T. and Al-Hallaj, S., “Thermomechanical behaviors of the expanded graphite-phase change material matrix used for thermal management of Li-ion battery packs,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.210(1), pp.174-179, 2010.
- Zhang, Z. and Fang, X., “Study on paraffin/expanded graphite composite phase change thermal energy storage material,” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.47(3), pp.303-310, 2006.
- Alva, L.H., Gonzalez, J.E. and Dukhan, N., “Initial analysis of PCM integrated solar collectors,” Journal of Solar Energy Engineering-Transactions of The ASME, Vol.128(2), pp.173-177, 2006.
- Yin, H., Gao, X., Ding, J. and Zhang, Z., “Experimental research on heat transfer mechanism of heat sink with composite phase change materials,” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.49(6), pp.1740-1746, 2008.
- Li, H., Liu, X. and Fang, G., “Synthesis and characteristics of form-stable n-octadecane/expanded graphite composite phase change materials,” Applied Physics A, Vol. 100(4), pp. 1143-1148, 2010.
- Wang, W., Yang, X., Fang, Y., Ding, J. et al., “Preparation and thermal properties of polyethylene glycol/expanded graphite blends for energy storage,” Applied Energy, Vol.86(9), pp.1479-1483, 2009.
- Lin, C., Xu, S., Chang G., Liu, J., “Experiment and simulation of a LiFePO4 battery pack with a passive thermal management system using composite phase change material and graphite sheets,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.275, pp.742-749, 2015.
- Khateeb, S.A., Farid, M.M., Selman, J.R. and Al-Hallaj, S., “Design and simulation of a lithium-ion battery with a phase change material thermal management system for an electric scooter,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.128(2), pp.292-307, 2004.
- Duan, X. and Naterer, G.F., “Heat transfer in phase change materials for thermal management of electric vehicle battery modules,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.53(23), pp.5176-5182, 2010.
- Kizilel, R., Sabbah, R., Selman J.R. and Al-Hallaj, S., “An alternative cooling system to enhance the safety of Li-ion battery packs,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.194(2), pp.1105-1112, 2009.
- Rao, Z., Huo, Y., Liu, X. and Zhang, G., “Experimental investigation of battery thermal management system for electric vehicle based on paraffin/copper foam,” Journal of the Energy Institute, Vol.88(3). pp.241-246, 2014.
- Javani, N., Dincer, I., Naterer, G.F., and Rohrauer, G.L., “Modeling of passive thermal management for electric vehicle battery packs with PCM between cells,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.73(1), pp.307-316, 2014.
- Lin, C., Xu, S., Li, Z., and Chang, G., "Design and Thermal Analysis of a Passive Thermal Management System Using Composite Phase Change Material for Rectangular Power Batteries," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 8(2):332-339, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0254.
- Ramandi, M.Y., Dincer, I. and Naterer, G.F., “Heat transfer and thermal management of electric vehicle batteries with phase change materials,” Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.47(7), pp.777-788, 2011.
- Al-Hallaj, S., and Albright, G., “Energy storage thermal management system using multi-temperature phase change materials,” U.S. Patent Application, 14/122,979[P]. 2012-6-7.
- Wang, J., Ouyang, Y., Chen, G., “Experimental study on charging processes of a cylindrical heat storage capsule employing multiple-phase-change materials,” International Journal of Energy Research, Vol.25(5), pp.439-447, 2000.
- Javani, N., Dincer, I., Naterer, G.F. and Yilbas, B.S., “Heat transfer and thermal management with PCMs in a Li-ion battery cell for electric vehicles,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.72, pp.690-703, 2014.
- Ling, Z., Wang, F., Fang, X. and Zhang, Z., “A hybrid thermal management system for lithium ion batteries combining phase change materials with forced-air cooling,” Applied Energy, Vol.148, pp.403-409, 2015.
- Hémery, C.V., Pra, F., Robin, J.F. and Marty, P., “Experimental performances of a battery thermal management system using a phase change material,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol.270(4), pp.349-358, 2014.
- Barsotti, D. and Boetcher, S., "Novel Battery Cold Plate Design for Increased Passive Cooling," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1919, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1919.
- Zhang, X., Kong, X., Li, G. and Li, j., “Thermodynamic assessment of active cooling/heating methods for lithium-ion batteries of electric vehicles in extreme conditions,” Energy, Vol.64, pp.1092-1101, 2014.
- Rao, Z., Wang, S., Zhang, Y., “Thermal management with phase change material for a power battery under cold temperatures,” Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, Vol.36(20), pp.2287-2295, 2014.