This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Big-Data Based Online State of Charge Estimation and Energy Consumption Prediction for Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Whether the available energy of the on-board battery pack is enough for the driver’s next trip is a major contributor in slowing the growth rate of Electric Vehicles (EVs). What’s more, the actual capacity of the battery pack depend on so many factors that a real-time estimation of the state of charge of the battery pack is often difficult. We proposed a big-data based algorithm to build a battery pack dynamic model for the online state of charge estimation and a stochastic model for the energy consumption prediction. And the good performance of sensors, high-bandwidth communication systems and cloud servers make it convenient to measure and collect the related data, which are grouped into three categories: standard, historical and real-time data.
First a resistance-capacitance ( RC )-equivalent circuit is taken consideration to simplify the battery dynamics. And the nonlinear relationship between the open-circuit voltage (Voc ) and the state of charge ( SOC ) is described by five linear piecewise functions, achieving good fitting effect and accuracy. The moving window recursive least square algorithm is utilized to identify the parameters of the battery model online with the historical and real-time data. A Luenberger state observer is used for online estimation of SOC, the estimation accuracy of which is not dependent on the actual capacity’s value. Afterwards, giving more insight into the relationship between the received data from different sources and the estimated SOC, we take the objective law of energy consumption as a Gaussian distribution, which can provide the confidence interval analysis to confine decision-making about whether to have the trip to the driver.
CitationZhang, Z., Huang, M., Chen, Y., and Gao, D., "Big-Data Based Online State of Charge Estimation and Energy Consumption Prediction for Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1200, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1200.
- Ng K. S. , Moo C.-S. , Chen Y.-P. , and Hsieh Y.-C. Enhanced coulomb counting method for estimating state-of-charge and state-of-health of lithium-ion batteries Appl. Energy 86 9 1506 1511 Sep. 2009
- Codeca F. , Savaresi S. M. , and Manzoni V. The mix estimation algorithm for battery state-of-charge estimator-Analysis of the sensitivity to measurement errors Proc. 48th IEEE CDC/CCC Shanghai, China Dec. 15-18, 2009 8083 8088
- Huria Tarun , Ceraolo Massimo , Gazzarri Javier and Jackey Robyn Simplified Extended Kalman Filter Observer for SOC Estimation of Commercial Power-Oriented LFP Lithium Battery Cells SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0092 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0092
- Ceraolo M. and Pede G. Techniques for estimating the residual range of an electric vehicle Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on 50 109 115 2001
- Ranjan , N. and Li , Y. Trip Based Stochastic Prediction of Battery State of Charge for Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1363 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1363
- Nugent , Alan , Halper Fern , and Kaufman Marcia Big data for dummies [M] John Wiley & Sons 2013
- Rahimi-Eichi H. , and Chow M.-Y. Big-Data Framework for Electric Vehicle Range Estimation, IECON 2014 - 40th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society Dallas, TX 2014
- Farag , M. , Fleckenstein , M. , and Habibi , S. Li-Ion Battery SOC Estimation Using Non-Linear Estimation Strategies Based On Equivalent Circuit Models SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1849 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1849
- Kim I.-S. A technique for estimating the state of health of lithium batter- ies through a dual-sliding-mode observer IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 25 4 1013 1022 Apr. 2010
- Gould C. R. , Bingham C. M. , Stone D. A. , and Bentley P. New battery model and state-of-health determination through subspace parameter esti- mation and state-observer techniques IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 58 8 3905 3916 Oct. 2009
- Roscher M. A. and Sauer D. U. Dynamic electric behavior and open- circuit-voltage modeling of LiFePO4-based lithium ion secondary batter- ies J. Power Sources 196 1 331 336 Jan. 2011
- Astrom K. J. and Wittenmark B. Adaptive Control 2nd Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA Prentice-Hall 1994
- Abdel Hady M. B. The Effect of Active Suspension Control on Vehicle Ride Behaviour Ph.D. Thesis University of Leeds UK 1989
- Gong , Q. , Li , Y. and Peng , Z.-R. Computationally Efficient Optimal Power Management for Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles Based on Spatial Domain Two-Scale Dynamic Programming Proceedings of 2008 ICVES
- Zadrozny , Peter , and Kodali Raghu Big Data Analytics Using Splunk: Deriving Operational Intelligence from Social Media, Machine Data, Existing Data Warehouses, and Other Real-Time Streaming Sources Apress 2013
- Papoulis , A. and Pillai , S.U. Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes 4th McGraw-Hill Inc. 2001
- Cho Young H. and Kim J. Design of Optimal Four Wheel Steering System Vehicle System Dynamics 24 1995
- Cox D.R. , Hinkley D.V. 1974 Theoretical Statistics Chapman & Hall 49 209