This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Calculating of Relay-Type Overrunning Clutch
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Overrunning clutches are devices for transmitting rotary motion in one direction only. These mechanisms are widely used in automotive industry, for example, in torque converters, impulse stepless transmissions, inertial continuously variable transmissions, starter engine starting system, and in other similar devices, where torque transmission is performed only in one direction. There are many different designs of the overrunning clutches, for example, ball, roller, cam, ratchet, spring ones, etc. But despite such a variety of designs and great efforts to establish reliable overrunning clutches, these mechanisms are still the weakest parts of many drive systems. Therefore, creation of reliable overrunning clutches is an urgent problem of mechanical engineering. Unfortunately, existing designs of the overrunning clutches have insufficient reliability and durability, which in many cases limits reliability of drive as a whole. The weakest links of the overrunning clutches are the so called wedging elements.
This paper describes a promising new design of overrunning clutches. In this design only a small part of torque is transmitted through the weak wedging elements, and the main part of this torque is transmitted through friction disc surfaces, which allows to unload the wedging elements and substantially improve the reliability and durability of the overrunning clutches in comparison with known designs of overrunning clutches. Investigation of the redistribution of amount of torque transmitted through the wedging elements and the friction disc surfaces was done. It was shown that in suggested design there is the principal possibility of reducing of the amount of the torque transmitted through the wedging elements in tens and hundreds times. Besides, a mathematical model describing the dynamics of the overrunning clutches of relay type was developed and investigated in this paper. Feature of the developed model is that, despite of the variability of the structure, dynamics of the overrunning clutches is described by only one system of differential equations, which greatly simplifies the study of periodic solutions and their stability.
In this paper there is a methodology how to select the main parameters of relay-type overrunning clutches, which are characterized by considerable load capacity, reliability, and durability.
|Technical Paper||Dynamics of Overrunning Clutches of Relay Type|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Control Strategy in the Power-On Upshift Process of Automatic Transmission Based on Transmission Output Torque|
CitationAliukov, S., Keller, A., and Alyukov, A., "Design and Calculating of Relay-Type Overrunning Clutch," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1134, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1134.
- Leonov , A. Micro-ratchet Overrunning Clutches, Moscow Mashinostroenie 1982
- Kropp , A. New Overrunning Clutches and their Applications Vestnik Mashinostroeniya 6 2005
- Maltsev , V. Overrunning Clutches of Roller Type, Moscow Mashinostroenie 1968
- Liu , K. , Zhang , H. , and Bamba , E. Dynamic Analysis of an Overrunning Clutch for the Pulse-Continuously-Variable-Speed Transmission SAE Technical Paper 980827 1998 10.4271/980827
- Aliukov , S. Overrunning Clutches of Relay Type Tyazholoye Mashinostroeniye 12 2010
- Aliukov , S. Overrunning clutch of relay type Patent # 57440 Russian Federation Moscow 2006
- Kremer , J. and Altidis , P. Roller One-Way Clutch System Resonance SAE Technical Paper 981093 1998 10.4271/981093
- Aliukov , S. Dynamics of inertial continuously variable transmissions. INFRA-M Moscow 2013
- Aliukov , S. and Gorshenin , V. On the Question of External Characteristic of the Inertial Continuously Variable Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1733 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1733
- Kish , J. Advanced Overrunning Clutch Technology SAE Technical Paper 781039 1978 10.4271/781039
- King , R. and Monahan , R. Alternator Pulley with Integral Overrunning Clutch for Reduction of Belt Noise SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0643 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0643
- Gulina , N.V. , Klokov , V.G. , and Yurkov , S.A. Detali mashin (Machine Parts) Moscow Akademiya 2004
- Polyakov , V.S. , Barbash , I.D. , and Rakhovskii , O.A. Spravochnik po muftam (Coupling Handbook) Leningrad Mashinostroenie 1978
- Anur’ev , V.I. Spravochnik konstruktora-mashinostroitelya (Handbook for Designers and Manufacturers) Moscow Mashinostroenie 2001
- Aliukov , S. , Keller , A. , and Alyukov , A. Dynamics of Overrunning Clutches of Relay Type SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1130 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1130
- Aliukov , S. , Keller , A. , and Alyukov , A. Method of Calculating of Relay Type Free-Wheel Mechanism SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2782 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2782
- Sharkov , O. , Kalinin , A. Kinematic characteristics of pulsed speed regulators Russian Engineering Research 2009 29 6 551 554
- Sharkov , O. , Zolotov , I. Influence of the geometric properties of an external housing on its stress-strain state Russian Engineering Research 2011 31 4 335 337
- Sharkov , O. , Koryagin , S. , and Velikanov , N. Design of straight tooth profile for fine-module ratchet teeth Applied mechanics and materials 2015 770 264 268
- Alyukov , S. and Gladyshev , S. Dynamics of an Inertial Continuously Variable Transmission with High Load Ability SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2442 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2442
- Keller , A. and Aliukov , S. Rational Criteria for Power Distribution in All-wheel-drive Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2786 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2786
- Keller , A. , Murog , I. , and Aliukov , S. Comparative Analysis of Methods of Power Distribution in Mechanical Transmissions and Evaluation of their Effectiveness SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1097 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1097