This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Setting Differential Pinion Bearing Preload Using System Stiffness as Estimated by Frequency Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tapered roller bearings used to support pinion and differential gears in automotive drive axles perform best with accurate assembled preload. One of the most common high volume production assembly methods relies on bearing friction to adjust preload; however torque is an indirect measure of load, can be influenced by the raceway condition, and is difficult to control. A new method to measure preload utilizes frequency response to estimate axial preload from system stiffness. The stiffness can be measured dynamically and an assembly method automated to set preload without the need for torque or dimensional measurements. By eliminating the need for a torque signal, the raceway conditions which contribute to setting torque do not contribute to the preload setting accuracy. This study demonstrates the effectiveness of using frequency response to measure stiffness and estimate preload.
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Stress Cycles of Differential Bevel Pinion|
|Journal Article||Impact of Viscosity Modifiers on Gear Oil Efficiency and Durability|
|Technical Paper||Automotive Hub Bearing Units-European Experience|
CitationJohns, M., Kamping, H., Krueger, K., Mynderse, J. et al., "Setting Differential Pinion Bearing Preload Using System Stiffness as Estimated by Frequency Response," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1130, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1130.
- Macedo, G. and Nonato, F., “Analysis of the Influence of Pre-Loading in the Rating Life Calculation of Tapered Roller Bearings Applied to Lightweight Front-Axle Differentials,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0230, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-36-0230.
- Matsuyama, H. and Dodoro H. et.al. “Development of Super-Low Friction Torque Tapered Roller Bearings for Improved Fuel Efficiency” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2674, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2674.
- Cornish, R., “Acro-Set: A New Method for Installation of Tapered Roller Bearings with Accurate End-Play Setting,” SAE Technical Paper 660225, 1966, doi:10.4271/660225.
- Sun, Z., et al, “NVH Development of Aluminum Axles” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2188, 2015, doi 10.4271/2015-01-2188.
- Harris, Tedric A, Kotzalas, Michael N. “Rolling Bearing Analysis - Fifth Edition” CRC Press, ISBN 9780849371820 CAT#7182
- Harris, Tedric A., Kotzalas, Michael N. “Essential Concepts of Bearing Technology - Fifth Edition - CRC Press, ISBN 9780849371837 - CAT#7183
- Chung, C., Steyer, Abe, T., Clapper, M. et al, “Gear Noise Reduction through Transmission Error Control and Gear Blank Dynamic Tuning” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1766, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1766.
- Linet, P.M.,”Methods of Setting Tapered Roller Bearings” SAE Technical Paper 821045, 1982, doi:10.4271/821045.
- Parker, N, “Adjusting Tapered Roller Bearings” Power transmission Magazine June 2014
- US Patent 5579570A “Apparatus for preloading pinion bearing” Assinee - Trio Tool Company 1996