This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Unified Relationship between Torque and Gear Ratio and Its Application in Multi-Step Automatic Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The market demands for CO2 reduction and fuel economy have led to a variety of new gear set concepts of automatic transmissions with 4 planetary gear sets and 6 shift elements in recent years. Understanding the relationship between the torque of clutch and brake and gear ratio in the design stage is very important to assess new gear set concepts and to set up the control strategy for enhancing shift quality and to reduce the heat generation of clutch and brake.
In this paper, a new systematic approach is used to unify the relationship between torque and gear ratio during the gear shift for all multi-step planetary automatic transmissions. This study describes the unified concept model with a lumped inertia regardless of the specific transmission layout and derives the principal unified relationship equations using torque and energy analysis, which prove that the sum of brake torque is always gear ratio -1 in every in-gear. Based on the unified relationship equations, the relationship among the required torques of shift elements is illustrated in 20 operating combinations of 6 shift elements.
Furthermore, this study shows that the torque of shift element is a function of the ratio of input speed change to slip speed change of shift element during the inertia phase of the shift process and the energy loss of shift element during the gear shift is a function of gear shift time and gear ratios before and after shifting.
CitationPark, J., "The Unified Relationship between Torque and Gear Ratio and Its Application in Multi-Step Automatic Transmissions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1098, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1098.
- Benford, H. and Leising, M., "The Lever Analogy: A New Tool in Transmission Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 810102, 1981, doi:10.4271/810102.
- Maruyama, S., "An Easy Way to Know the Gear Ratio of Automatic Transmission by Using the Relative Speed Diagram," SAE Technical Paper 820459, 1982, doi:10.4271/820459.
- Park, J. and Oh, J., "Analysis of the Gear Shift Mechanisms by R R Chart Method," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1163, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1163.
- Shindo, Y., Ito, H., and Ishihara, T., "A Fundamental Consideration on Shift Mechanism of Automatic Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 790043, 1979, doi:10.4271/790043.
- KimY. H., Park C. I. and Lee J. M., "Analytical Investigation of the shift Characteristics of a Passenger Car Automatic Transmission", Transactions of KSAE, Vol.6, No. 2, pp.54-66, 1998.
- Megli, T., Haghgooie, M., and Colvin, D., "Shift Characteristics of a 4-Speed Automatic Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1060, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1060.
- Bai, S., Moses, R., Schanz, T., and Gorman, M., "Development of a New Clutch-to-Clutch Shift Control Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1252, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1252.
- Fujii, Y., Tobler, W., Pietron, G., Cao, M. et al., "Review of Wet Friction Component Models for Automatic Transmission Shift Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1665, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1665.
- Tokura, T., Asami, T., Hasegawa, Y., Sugimura, T. et al., "Development of Smooth Up-Shift Control Technology for Automatic Transmissions with Integrated Control of Engine and Automatic Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1310, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1310.
- WINCHELL, F. and ROUTE, W., "RATIO CHANGING THE PASSENGER CAR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION," SAE Technical Paper 610407, 1961, doi:10.4271/610407.
- Scherer, H., Bek, M., and Kilian, S., "ZF New 8-speed Automatic Transmission 8HP70 - Basic Design and Hybridization-," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):314-326, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0510.
- Park Jongsool, “A Study on Unified Relationship between Torque and Gear Ratio of Multi-Step Automatic Transmission”, KSAE Vol.2010 No.11, 2010