This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Studies of EGR Cooler Fouling on a GDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cooled EGR provides benefits in better fuel economy and lower emissions by reducing knocking tendency and decreasing peak cylinder temperature in gasoline engines. However, GDI engines have high particle emissions due to limited mixing of fuel and air, and these particle emissions can be a major source of EGR cooler fouling. In order to improve our knowledge of GDI engine EGR cooler fouling, the effects of tube geometry and coolant temperature on EGR cooler performance and degradation were studied using a four cylinder 2.0L turbocharged GDI engine. In addition, deposit microstructure was analyzed to explore the nature of deposits formed under GDI engine operation. The results of this study showed that a dented tube geometry was more effective in cooling the exhaust gas than a smooth tube due to its large surface area and turbulent fluid motion. However, more deposits were accumulated and higher effectiveness loss was observed in the dented tube. Furthermore, the dented tube had a larger pressure drop across the EGR cooler. Microstructure analysis revealed that the deposit mass and thickness decrease with axial distance from the tube inlet due to variation of thermophoresis along the tube.
CitationYoo, K., Hoard, J., Boehman, A., and Gegich, M., "Experimental Studies of EGR Cooler Fouling on a GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1090, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1090.
- Ladommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S., Zhao, H., and Hu, Z., "The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions - Part 1: Effect of Reducing Inlet Charge Oxygen," SAE Technical Paper 961165, 1996, doi:10.4271/961165
- Ladommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S., Zhao, H., and Hu, Z., "The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions - Part 2: Effects of Carbon Dioxide," SAE Technical Paper 961167, 1996, doi:10.4271/961167
- Ladommatos, N., Abdelhalim, S., Zhao, H., and Hu, Z., "The Dilution, Chemical, and Thermal Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine Emissions - Part 3: Effects of Water Vapour," SAE Technical Paper 971659, 1997, doi:10.4271/971659
- Tomazic, D. and Pfeifer, A., "Cooled EGR - A Must or an Option for 2002/04," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0962, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0962.
- Alger, T., Chauvet, T., and Dimitrova, Z., "Synergies between High EGR Operation and GDI Systems," SAE Int. J. Engines 1(1):101-114, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0134.
- Zhang, R., Charles, F., Ewing, D., Chang, J. et al., "Effect of Diesel Soot Deposition on the Performance of Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling Devices," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0122, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0122.
- Ismail, B., Ewing, D., Cotton, J., and Chang, J., "Characterization of the Soot Deposition Profiles in Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooling Devices Using a Digital Neutron Radiography Imaging Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1433, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1433.
- Bravo, Y., Moreno, F., and Longo, O., "Improved Characterization of Fouling in Cooled EGR Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1257, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1257.
- Lance, M., Sluder, C., Wang, H., and Storey, J., "Direct Measurement of EGR Cooler Deposit Thermal Properties for Improved Understanding of Cooler Fouling," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1461, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1461.
- Salvi, A., "In-Situ Determination of the Thermo-Physical Properties of Nano-Particulate Layers Developed in Engine Exhaust Gas Heat Exchangers and Opportunities for Heat Exchanger Effectiveness Recovery," Ph.D. thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2013.
- Kim, H., Lee, D., Park, S., Choi, K. et al., "An Experimental Study on Heat Exchange Effectiveness in the Diesel Engine EGR Coolers," J. Mech. Sci. Tech. 22:361-366, 2008, doi:10.1007/s12206-007-1102-x
- Storey, J., Sluder, C., Lance, M., Styles, D. et al., "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooler Fouling in Diesel Applications: Fundamental Studies of Deposit Properties and Microstructure," Heat Transfer Engineering 34(8-9):655-664, 2013, doi:10.1080/01457632.2012.738319
- Sluder, C. and Storey, J., "EGR Cooler Performance and Degradation: Effects of Biodiesel Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2473, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2473.
- Sluder, C., Storey, J., and Youngquist, A., "ULSD and B20 Hydrocarbon Impacts on EGR Cooler Performance and Degradation," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2802, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2802.
- Hong, K., Lee, K., Song, S., Chun, K. et al., "Parametric Study on Particle Size and SOF Effects on EGR Cooler Fouling," Atmospheric Environment 45(32):5677-5683, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.07.036
- Prabhakar, B. and Boehman, A., "Effect of Engine Operating Conditions and Coolant Temperature on the Physical and Chemical Properties of Deposits from an Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooler," J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 135(2):022801, 2013, doi:10.1115/1.4007784
- Lance, M., Storey, J., Sluder, C., Meyer H. III, et al., "Microstructural Analysis of Deposits on Heavy-Duty EGR Coolers," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1288, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1288.
- Abarham, M., Zamankhan, P., Hoard, J. W., Styles, D. el al., " CFD analysis of particle transport in axi-symmetric tube flows under the influence of thermophoretic force," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 61(1):94-105, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.01.071
- Hall, D. and Dickens, C., "Measurement of the Number and Size Distribution of Particles Emitted from a Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3530, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-3530.
- Su, J., Lin, W., Sterniak, J., Xu, M. et al., "Particulate Matter Emission Comparison of Spark Ignition Direct Injection (SIDI) and Port Fuel Injection (PFI) Operation of a Boosted Gasoline Engine," J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 136:091513, 2014, doi:10.1115/1.4027274
- Lepperhoff, G. and Houben, M., "Mechanisms of Deposit Formation in Internal Combustion Engines and Heat Exchangers," SAE Technical Paper 931032, 1993, doi:10.4271/931032
- Abarham, M., Hoard, J., Assanis, D., Styles, D. et al., "Review of Soot Deposition and Removal Mechanisms in EGR Coolers," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(1):690-704, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1211.
- Han, T., Booth, A., Song, S., Hoard, J. et al., "Review and a Conceptual Model of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler Fouling Deposition and Removal Mechanism," Heat Exchanger Fouling and Cleaning, 2015