This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Relationship between Ovality Contour and Radial-Pressure Distribution in Piston Rings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To accurately measure piston ring radial-force, we constructed an instrument arraying 12 measuring assemblies, spaced 30º apart around the ring circumference, each comprising a roller, a slider, a load cell in a holder, and a micrometer head. Using this measuring device, we investigated the radial-force distribution in several compression rings with various ovalities. For each ring, we first measured the radial force at 30º intervals around the ring circumference, avoiding the ring gap, and then we displaced the ring 15º in the circumferential direction, and set a custom jig between the ring gap and the measuring assembly. Thus we were able to measure the radial-force at 15º intervals around the entire circumference, including the ring gap position. Results indicated that the plots of radial-force distribution indeed resembled the ring ovality contours- except in rings with negative ovality or a lower tangential force, where the plot of radial-force distribution differed from the ring ovality contour on the ring gap side.
CitationNakashima, K., Nagakura, H., Ooguro, T., and Yamamoto, M., "Relationship between Ovality Contour and Radial-Pressure Distribution in Piston Rings," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1047, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1047.
- Editorial Committee for Piston Ring for Automobile Engine, “Piston Ring for Automobile Engine,” Sankaido: 221-222, 1997 (in Japanese)
- Mierbach, A., “Calculation of the Pressure Distribution of Piston Rings Based on Their Shape,” MTZ, 55, 2: 116-119, 1994 (in German).
- Tomanik, E. and Bruno, R., "Calculation of Piston Ring Radial Pressure Distribution from its Measured Free Shape," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1322, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1322.
- Okamoto, M. and Sakai, I., "Contact Pressure Distribution of Piston Rings -Calculation Based on Piston Ring Contour -," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0571, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0571.
- Liu, L., Tian, T., and Rabuté, R., "Development and Applications of an Analytical Tool for Piston Ring Design," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3112, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3112.
- Ma, J., Ryan, T., Winter, J., and Dixon, R., "The Piston Ring Shape and Its Effects on Engine Performance," SAE Technical Paper 960052, 1996, doi:10.4271/960052.
- Numann, P., Rau, N., and Hubner, G., “Distribution of Radial Pressure on Piston Rings,” MTZ, 48, 11: 467-469, 1987 (in German).
- Shaw, M., Strang, C., and Hart, O., "Measurement of Piston-Ring Radial-Pressure Distribution," SAE Technical Paper 480185, 1948, doi:10.4271/480185.
- Yamamoto, M., Tsutsui, O., Sugimoto, T., Kawamoto, J., and Maeda, Y., “Effect of Radial Pressure Distribution of Piston Ring on Lubricating Oil Consumption,” Proceedings of the 31st Annual Meeting of Japanese Society of Lubrication, Nagoya, Japan: 37-40, 1986 (in Japanese).
- Hitosugi, H., Kanemitsu, K., and Tateishi, Y., “A Study of Piston Ring Reducing High Contact Pressure at Ring End Gap in Engine Operation,” Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, 43, 4: 163-168, 2001 (in Japanese).
- Ebihara, K., “Researches on Piston Ring,” NACA Technical Memo, No. 1057, 1944.