This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Spray Droplet Size and Velocity Distributions on Emissions from a Single Cylinder Biofuel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel made from Jatropha oil by transesterification process has viscosity and other important physical properties comparable to mineral diesel hence it can be used as an alternate fuel in conventional diesel engines. It is important to investigate the spray characteristics of biodiesel because emissions from the engines are dependent on fuel atomization process and resulting fuel-air mixing. This study focuses on the Jatropha biodiesel spray investigations using Phase Doppler Interferometry (PDI) for measurement of various microscopic spray parameters such as Sauter mean diameter (SMD) and spray droplet size and velocity distributions. The spray and engine experiments were carried out for Jatropha biodiesel (JB100) and their 20% blends (JB20) with mineral diesel as baseline. Fuel injection pressure during the spray experiments was maintained at 200 bars for all tests, quite similar to small horse power agricultural engines, and the fuel injection quantity was varied. Spray experiments were conducted in ambient conditions. Engine out emission measurements were done on the same engine using similar fuel injection equipment (FIE) and measurement was done for HC, CO, NOx, and CO2. These experiments were conducted at same fuel quantity as that of spray experiments, by keeping the engine speed constant at 1500 rpm. Finally Jatropha biodiesel spray droplet size distribution was correlated to the emissions from the engine.
CitationPatel, C., Sharma, N., Tiwari, N., and Agarwal, A., "Effects of Spray Droplet Size and Velocity Distributions on Emissions from a Single Cylinder Biofuel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0994, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0994.
- Chi, Y. and Kim, E., "Measurement of Droplet Size Distribution of Transient Diesel Spray," SAE Technical Paper 931949, 1993, doi:10.4271/931949.
- Lee, K., Reitz, R., “Investigation of spray characteristics from a low-pressure common rail injector for use in a homogeneous charge compression ignition engine”, Measurement Science and Technology, 15(3): 509-519, 2004. (doi:10.1088/0957-0233/15/3/003)
- Komada, K., Sakaguchi, D., Tajima, H., Ueki, H. et al., "Relation between Tip Penetration and Droplet Size of Diesel Spray," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1599, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1599.
- Park, S., Cha, J., Lee, C., “Spray and engine performance characteristics of biodiesel and its blends with diesel and ethanol fuels”, Combustion science and technology, 183(8): 802-822, 2011. (DOI:10.1080/00102202.2011.552897)
- Guan, L., Tang, C., Yang, K., Mo, J., Huang, Z., “Effect of di-nbutyl ether blending with soybean-biodiesel on spray and atomization characteristics in a common-rail fuel injection system,” Fuel, 140:116-125, 2015.
- Gao, Y., Deng, J., Li, C., Dang, F., Liao, Z., Wu, Z., Li, L., “Experimental study of the spray characteristics of biodiesel based on inedible oil”, Biotechnology Advances, 27(5): 616-624. 2009. (DOI:10.1016/j.biotechadv.2009.04.022)
- Kim, W., Lee, K., Lee, C., “Spray and atomization characteristics of isobutene blended DME fuels”, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 22: 98-106, 2015. (DOI:10.1016/j.jngse.2014.11.015)
- Tian, G., Li, H., Xu, H., Li, Y. et al., "Spray Characteristics Study of DMF Using Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3(1):948-958, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1505.
- Öztürk, E. “Performance, emissions, combustion and injection characteristics of a diesel engine fuelled with canola oil- hazelnut soap stock biodiesel mixture”, Fuel Processing Technology, 129: 183-191, 2015. (doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2014.09.016)
- Chauhan, B., Kumar, N., Cho, H., Lim, H., “A study on the performance and emission of a diesel engine fueled with Karanja biodiesel and its blends”, Energy, 56: 1-7, 2013. (DOI:10.1016/j.energy.2013.03.083)
- Lin, Y., Hsu, K., Chen, C., “Experimental investigation of the performance and emissions of a heavy-duty diesel engine fueled with waste cooking oil biodiesel/ultra-low sulfur diesel blends”, Energy, 36(1): 241-248, 2011. (DOI:10.1016/j.energy.2010.10.045)
- Mohammed, E., Nemit A.M., “Experimental investigations of ignition delay period and performance of a diesel engine operated with Jatropha oil biodiesel”, Alexandria Engineering Journal, 52 (2): 141-149, 2013. (doi:10.1016/j.aej.2012.12.006)
- Dhar, A., Agarwal, A.K., “Performance, emissions and combustion characteristics of Karanja biodiesel in a transportation engine”, Fuel, 119: 70-80, 2014. (DOI:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.11.002)
- Ejim, C., Fleck, B., Amirfazli, A., “Analytical study for atomization of biodiesels and their blends in a typical injector: surface tension and viscosity effects”, Fuel, 86: 1534-1544, 2007. (DOI:10.1016/j.fuel.2006.11.006)
- Wang, X., Huang, Z., Kuti, O., Zhang, W., Nishida, K., “Experimental and analytical study on biodiesel and diesel spray characteristics under ultra-high injection pressure”, International journal of heat and fluid flow”, 31(4): 659-666, 2010. (DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2010.03.006)
- Park, S., Kim, H.J, Suh, H., Lee, C., “Experimental and numerical analysis of spray-atomization characteristics of biodiesel fuel in various fuel and ambient temperatures conditions”, International journal of heat and fluid flow, 30(5): 960-970, 2009. (DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2009.04.003)
- Lee, C., Park, S., Kwon, S., “An experimental study on the atomization and combustion characteristics of biodiesel-blended fuels”, Energy & fuels, 19 (5): 2201-2208, 2005. (DOI:10.1021/ef050026h)
- Park, S., Kim, H.J., Suh, H.K., Lee, C.S., “A study on the fuel injection and atomization characteristics of soybean oil methyl ester (SME)”, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 30(1): 108-116, 2009. (DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2008.11.002)
- Mohan, B., Yang, W., Tay, K., Yu, W., “Experimental study of spray characteristics of biodiesel derived from waste cooking oil”, Energy Conversion and Management, 88: 622-632, 2014. (DOI:10.1016/j.enconman.2014.09.013)